'snuggle tent'

Eloy

Sep 4, 2012
You need to hang it from the ceiling! It's like the bedroom in the cage for conures, a place to feel safe and warm.
And it's only Birdy that takes his Happy Hut for a drive, so don't be jealous if your bird don't. :p

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
I personally wouldn't risk them, the last time I had one my bird got its leg tangled up and I am fanatic about checking the safety of toys daily. They destroy material so quickly that IF they are going to do it, checking will change nothing.

However, if you are willing to risk it thats your business :)

Personally I would be horrified to discover my bird killed itself in its happy hut... or amputated a limb. There are safer alternatives that don't involve material.

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
dont let other peoples ideas affect the happiness of your pet.

I don't have the documentation but apparently the "Snuggle hut" type tents are the #1 "toy" that causes death in our pet birds.

Better off to remove it from the cage (the bird will adjust) than to regret it if you find your bird dead (God forbid).

It's all about making informed decisions!

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Two days ago Molly took her daily bath and when done I did a customary "dab her off" with a small hand towel. This is the same type of towel I have been using for this purpose for 1.5 years. Anyway, for the first time ever Molly got a toe nail caught in the towel and began to struggle with total urgency. I calmly worked to release her toe and everything was fine. This little event taught me that anything can happen at a moments notice. If it had been a toy in the cage Molly would have likely either lost a toe or possibly would have died. I will play it cautious and keep the cage area as safe as possible while still providing her a good like while inside the cage.

OP
Lee11

Lee11

Oct 23, 2012
New York
Parrots
maroon bellied conure
I didn't put it in the cage....I thought it would take up too much space....I may place it in his carrier for short trips as a source of warmth but that is it...
I would like to have something up in his sleep corner though..

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
I didn't put it in the cage....I thought it would take up too much space....I may place it in his carrier for short trips as a source of warmth but that is it...

You can try something like this A Bird Toy - Birdie Binkies
They also make a straight one that hangs and the bird can snuggle against it. No strings or loops to get hooked onto.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREEN-BIRDI...131?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e73fbe5fb

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
This revived my fear-obsession over the happy huts. When we first brought Boomer home, I was scared of the happy hut from all the things I read about it. But Boomer seemed to like it so much. After a while, I forgot about my worries. But now, re-reading those stories really triggered it again :(

Molly, I liked that tent you posted: Sunrise Solutions Hide N Sleep Birdie Condo - HUTS AND TENTS by Bird Paradise It seems huge though. Also it says its made of cotton. Doesn't cotton fray? Does it have two openings? Would you mind posting pictures of how you set yours up?

The birdie binkie is also nice: A Bird Toy - Birdie Binkies But it seems that the happy hut and the tent provides more privacy that they may enjoy once in a while.

Can anyone hare other safe hut/tent alternatives? It seems the common characteristic for safe huts/tents are: 1)It must be made of fleece so it doesn't fray. 2) Must not be sown together. Is this right?

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Hey guys this sight is awesome for snuggle huts. I haven't looked at it all that much but it seems safer, right? QUALITY BIRD TENTS

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
The soft sided cube tents are also very open so if you have a nesty girl, it's better than a closed hug.

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
my conures loves their huts, and I am aware of the concerns of their claws being stuck in them. I keep up with nail trims, and check the tents often when I clean their cages to make sure all is well. I have 2 male conures so I am too worried of nesting behaviors, but they love to sleep in it, so I will make sure what they love is safe for them, but then again mine don't climb on them or chew them. I think it depends on your own bird and how they are using the tent/hut.

For people that say it's not worth the risk, I don't know...I try not to live in a bubble and neither do my pets, I have everything from chameleons and snakes to horses, someone is always around if they heard anything going wrong but still....I think many items and toys could cause problems, but as long as you are giving your bird the correct attention, why should a bird tent be an issue? Trimming nails, be it you, or your vet is our responsibility, and they can get caught in any toy, not just tents.

crazyforfeathers

Aug 18, 2012
Parrots
Limbo (7 year old Dusky Conure), Prisma (4 year old Parakeet), Stormy (2 year old Parakeet)
If there is any risk at all that my birds foot would get caught in a happy hut, you can be sure I would spend that few extra dollars for their safety and my own peace of mind.

Anyone else with good solid suggestions on safer happy hut alternatives then?

OP
Lee11

Lee11

Oct 23, 2012
New York
Parrots
maroon bellied conure

They also make a straight one that hangs and the bird can snuggle against it. No strings or loops to get hooked onto.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREEN-BIRDIE-BINKIE-WAND-a-bird-toy-parrot-toys-/130794907131?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e73fbe5fb

I love the idea of the straight one that bird snuggles against but the link here doesn't work.....

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
A birds foot can get stuck in practically anything, take a good look at all the toys in your cage that have rope or chain that can honestly be just as much of a risk.

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREEN-BIRDIE-BINKIE-WAND-a-bird-toy-parrot-toys-/130794907131?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e73fbe5fb

I love the idea of the straight one that bird snuggles against but the link here doesn't work.....

Here is the link again green birdie binkie wand | eBay If that does not work, go to ebay and search "green birdie binkie wand". That will take you right to them. :) Here is a tinyURL. Strange that this is the only way I can get it to work. http://tinyurl.com/a5fhxbj

Last edited:

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
I never heard about this danger before now. Pritti goes through phases where he'll "use" the hard-sided type huts every day to nap in, or to shred to pieces from the inside out. He totally ignores the soft huts. Sometimes I carry him around in the one from his playpen area, like a little aircraft for him to take from room to room.

But now, I'm wondering about it.... But I do agree with some of the other posters -- just about anything can cause a danger, even the fuzzy flat buddies -- so good judgment and supervision on a case by case basis or each of us on behalf of our fids.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
My conure has one of those tents. But the conure I had as a child did not.

247749_4881892250966_1124715456_n.jpg

Most Reactions