So excited and totally Amazed by our Sun

MrsBigE

Oct 19, 2016
Media
Pickerington Ohio
Parrots
Sun Conure
Umbrella Cockatoo
Yesterday after everyone was waking up I gave Spezi(our Sun) a lift up to his chandelier perches in the bay window. It was bright and sunny out and there were about 20 or so birds out on the feeders just outside the window. Spezi loves to sit up there for hours too watch the birds and the squirrels.
My husband works from home everyday and as he stopped to speak to me all of a sudden Spezi started this series of high pitch screeches. We'd never heard him do this before so my husband thought maybe Spezi was grousing about my husband hanging around but then he did it again. I asked hubby to look out the window to see what was out there. Sure enough there was a big black and white cat creeping into our yard. Never seen the cat before and I'm hoping after that alarm Spezi sent out to the flock the cat won't be back.
I'm just so surprised that Spezi recognized that was a predator and his instinct kicked in to warn everyone. I guess with him being hand-raised I didn't think he'd have instincts as strong as he does. He's a good little watch bird, always squealing at the doorbell and when the garage opens. I just think it's so cool to see nature in action

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
They are clever little things, haha.

Once I was watching an animal documentary with my green cheek. They started showing a red tailed hawk and it let out a little cree -- now that sent my poor birdie in a fit of terror. She's never seen a hawk before in her life, yet she recognized what it was on TV.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
They are too smart for their own good. lol. They can easily make us look stupid.

For example, I tried to put one of those beaded curtains in the kitchen doorway to prevent Skittles from flying into the kitchen. While I was cooking in the kitchen one day, the little stinker flew onto the floor by the doorway, climbed underneath the curtain and then flew up onto my shoulder.

Never underestimate their intelligence. They are smart little buggers!

OP
MrsBigE

MrsBigE

Oct 19, 2016
Media
Pickerington Ohio
Parrots
Sun Conure
Umbrella Cockatoo
Oh yea they do that crawling under the screen thing at the aviary. Between the nursery and the nursery visiting area they have those loose screen things that you attach at various points around the frame and the SC's all go to the floor and crawl under. Very sneaky and they see everything!
There are squirrels out with the birds and apparently he sees them as friendly or he'd be screeching all the time.

Most Reactions