species and mating rituals

freshprincess87

Dec 30, 2016
Australia
Parrots
8 little lovebirds
Hi everyone!

It's been so so so long since my last post in January. Since then I've acquired another 4 lovebirds, and now have 8 in total. I have an obsession I love them too much they are my family now :)

I've got some questions on my two newer ones though, their names are kovu and Kiara, kovu is the green/yellow one, and Kiara is the masked one in the links to pictures below.

I am wondering if anyone knows whether kovu is a hybrid or a pure fischers?
I feel like shes a fischers, because I have another lovebird the same colour as her with green and yellow but their head has a bit more black, so I could tell its hybrid, but with kovu I cant tell. She's definitely got the personality of a fischers, shes a massive biter, but shes semi-tamed and not afraid of me. Kiara, her companion, is also semi tamed but I think he's only semi tamed because of kovu. And with Kiara, the masked one, why isn't her head jet black? I'm certain he isn't a hybrid but maybe this is a colour mutation thing? I've seen pictures online of some masked ones who are jet black like Kiara too but no mention of being a hybrid so I'm not sure why it is.

Another question I have is with their mating dances. I'm aware that lovebirds do these certain displays or dances when they are trying to attract another bird or show they are mature or want to mate. I am curious about something though. I caught Kiara and kovu mating before, and stopped it, it hasn't happened since, but its actually how I found out kovu (green) was a girl, because she's the one who had her wings spread, and Kiara was the one on the top "humping" (might need to switch their names around lol!) However, when they were introduced to my other lovebirds for the first time, kovu didn't care too much, but Kiara then starting spreading his wings as well! Isnt that supposed to be a female thing only? Or do males do the wing spread thing to attract other birds and show they want to mate as well? I've heard with some lovebird species males possibly spread there wings too but they do it quickly and don't hold their wings out as long as the females do, is this correct?

This is the link to kovu and Kiara's pictures:

kovu and kiara - Album on Imgur

Hopefully the pictures are viewable.

And also thought I would note, last time I posted it was about my worrying about my little Asha lovebird and her flight feathers not growing properly and poking out a lot. Thankfully she is doing so much better now. She's DNA tested as a girl (we saved the blood feathers she pulled out and sent them to a DNA lab) and shes a lot happier eating well and playing a lot, from time to time her feathers don't really grow extremely well or correctly, but in general she ended up growing her left flight feather meaning she has her flight feathers on both sides and can fly, she doesn't know how to fly properly because it took so long for her feathers to grow well, but shes doing well :)

I will try to contribute to this wonderful forum more regularly.

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.:rainbow1::rainbow1::rainbow1::rainbow1::rainbow1::rainbow1::rainbow1::rainbow1:

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
Kovu I believe is a hybrid. Not sure about what hybrid, Fischer black masked is my best guess, I could be wrong.

Sent from my Galaxy s8

OP
F

freshprincess87

Dec 30, 2016
Australia
Parrots
8 little lovebirds
Thanks parrotlover2001, you could be right, and if she is a hybrid its definitely a fischer/masked cross as they are the only species available from breeders here along with peachfaces.

Most Reactions

Latest posts