Squawking/screaming

RonixGCC

Oct 19, 2015
Hey guys! not sure if there is a noise thread or not. I've had my conure since March 2015, he was 10 weeks old when I got him

My question is, in the morning he lets this crazy loud scream/squawk that is incredibly loud, he also puts out the same noise if he is in/out of the cage and i walk out of the room. Not sure if he is having a fit or just doesn't like seeing me at all times. Anyone have any ideas???

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
What do you want him to do instead of screaming? And how can you reinforce that behavior so it is more desirable than screaming?

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
What you are describing IS totally normal. Birds make the most noise in the morning and at night. It's a natural behavior that shouldn't really be un-taught, not even sure that's possible. What they are doing is called "calling the flock". Normally, it's not a good idea to egg a bird on when they are making noise. BUT, certain times it does more harm than good not too. If you call back, it should subside in a reasonable time.

Skittles does this daily. When I wake him up, when I put him to bed and if I leave the room (though, he usually just follows me) or if he is on alert or trying to tell me something.

What is NOT normal is incessant screeching that goes on for hours throughout the day. They will have the 'occasional' bad day. Skittles has had several bad days (today and yesterday). I was ready to strangle him. LOL.

BUT, before this he was being super,super cuddly - cuddling for hours. The past few days he's still been cuddly but also been quite vocal. Personally, I think it's just the seasons.

Altum

Sep 15, 2015
Media
Austin, TX
Parrots
Foggy, a green cheek conure
Yeah, calling when somebody gets out of sight is just how members of a flock keep track of each other. Calling back will assure him that you are safe and coming back.

The nice thing is that birds often take their cue from you on what the appropriate call for 'this' flock is. Foggy used to caw and squawk at us, but we always whistle back, and after a while he started mixing whistles in too; once he did that, we *only* responded when he whistled and ignored the cawing, which has tapered off.

OP
R

RonixGCC

Oct 19, 2015
Thanks a lot guys! I will try the whistle trick and see if that at least lets him know I'm still around!

DesiConure

Oct 14, 2015
Parrots
Conure (Green Cheek mixed with Cinnamon).
I have a 5-month-old GCC. Is it normal for him to start making beak grinding noises and kind of like low-volume squawking noises when its close to his usual bedtime?

As for the mornings...even before we call out to him or interact with him; he will call out loudly as soon as he hears footsteps, a sneeze and/or any type of activity really (water faucet being turned on, etc.)

My conure also loves crawling and walking around our shoulders/necks/arms and being held. He constantly wants to be on us or held by us. If we're sitting or standing; within a minute of putting him on the ground he'll walk up to us and start crawling up our clothes.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Yes, the noises are normal. It's them 'settling' in for the night. They will also make those beak grinding noises and low squawking noises when they are resting or napping.

KOZKO

Aug 25, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Parrots
Sun Conure
Yes, the noises are normal. It's them 'settling' in for the night. They will also make those beak grinding noises and low squawking noises when they are resting or napping.

I just learned (still LEARNING) to ignore it. Like a small child don't give into them calling and they'll still do what they do and if it's just for you they'll sometimes stop - do your best to just tuned it out. The grinding, clicking and low squawks are definitely like purring.

Does anybody else's bird hiss at them like a cat when they're mad or scared? Nibbler will hiss and lunge at you! he won't bite hard but if you persist he still gives you a "beaking" that makes you think that he's mad or scared lol. I actually think it's kind of funny - like he's trying to show you how tough he is lol

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
When something startles Boomer big time and I try to tell him it's okay, he does a breathy 'Haaaahhh Haaaaaahhhhh' in response. I guess it counts as a hiss as a form of distress vocalization. Your bird might be trying to tell you to give him some space. :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Is ignoring the behavior really a good idea?!?!?!!? Does ignoring the behavior *really* make the behavior go away??? Can the bird get learned helplessness by ignoring them????

The question should be... why is the bird screaming in the first place? What can be done to prevent the screaming from occurring in the first place??? What can the bird be doing *INSTEAD OF* screaming? And how can you reward the bird for doing that behavior instead?

Living With Parrots Cage Free: Does Ignoring Really Work?

Use your words: Conditioning Sam to a new environment | Learning Parrots

Most Reactions