Start of the Angsty Bird

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Bullseye. Just a couple days, just buckle down. Itā€™ll pass.

It could be the molting. Though I read one opinion years ago that always stuck with me: every bird on Godā€™s green earth molts ever year. Itā€™s not giving child birth, it doesnā€™t HURT. Maybe a little itchy, but it shouldnā€™t create significant changes in attitude.

Whether itā€™s true or not, I donā€™t know. But it certainly resonated with me.

I think the not calling for formula may be a key point, like maybe this behavior is perfectly natural for a bird who just successfully weaned itself. but Iā€™ve never Dealt with weaning ekkies so I have no idea.

But it does reinforce for me that this too shall pass. You also did just move so Iā€™d be willing to bet this is is also tied to change in environment. Often birds in a new home will behave perfectly for a period of time before they test boundaries.

We could ā€œit could also be...ā€ until were blue in th e face but all roads are leading to this being temporary. If heā€™s reacting this way to items around the cage, rearrange the cage to shock him out of it some. That often helps.

OP
charmedbyekkie

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Ok, so new behaviour I'm completely unfamiliar with:

It looks likes he's attempting to regurgitate - he does the head bobbing and acts like some food did come back up to his beak. It's not his vomiting gesture and it looks like regurgitation according to the videos that Iā€™ve seen. When he starts doing this, I just put him on his perch and let him be or I distract him with a toy.

Last night he started nonstop rubbing his beak, including the tip of his beak (almost biting but not quite), against my partnerā€™s chair. He also started kissing it (we taught him to press his beak against something and make a kissing sound, and we ā€˜kissā€™ him quite frequently since we donā€™t touch him as a sign of affection), which I understand is a human-taught thing so heā€™s likely not legitimately showing an affectionate gesture. And then he started also trying to regurgitate.

Considering that itā€™s my partnerā€™s favourite fabric chair, I shifted him to another perch; as he stepped up, he was crazily pinning his eyes and standing tall, muttering at me. Which I gather means heā€™s excited/agitated.

How should I be handling this? Should I be finding him a toy instead as a safer/preemptive object of affection? Or should I leaving him as is?

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Your lilttle man is growing up fast!

I would just let him be hormonal with the chair- if he gets frustrated about it all (the chair wil not respond in any way) and bites it...no humans will be hurt in the process.
It is his first round with the hormones so he needs to figure out what is going on just as much as the humans.

(Sunny wil grab my hand with a foot, then clench down with the beak on one or more fingers and then tries to regurge on them... I would be delighted if she chose another object for her affections ;) )

Most Reactions

Latest posts