Starting to research Harlequin Macaws

blackhawk007

Jan 23, 2013
Chicago
Parrots
Teka~Red Lored Amazon 20 years old,. . Ruthie ~ 16 year old Ruby Macaw, . .
I am thinking about getting a Harlequin Macaw in the distant future. The problem is that I have not been able to find any breeders to make contact with. I am starting my search now because I want to create a relationship early to allow for as much learning and experience and possible before I bring one home.

The ideal plan would be to find a reputable breeder now. Meet with them if possible to see how their birds look and act, knowing that breeder birds often act different than pets. If they have babies on hand at that time it would also be great to see how they interact with them. While there make a list of any research suggestions they offer to prepare myself prior to the welcome home party. Lastly meet with the breeder as often as possible from hatch date until take home date. I think this would not only benefit the baby bird but more so us.

If any of you that read this are the person I am looking for, then even better. But if not I would really appreciate any leads that you may have to offer. Also I am open to suggestions on the plan that I have above.

As far as myself, we have a Quaker that owns my other half. I have a Red Lored Amazon that owns me. I already have an 80" double Macaw cage (no the quaker does not use this), and a 72" double java tree. I know the expenses associated with these birds and do have friends that own 3 of them. On the bright side we have a toy maker in the house to slightly offset that cost. I live in the Chicago area but am also fond of traveling a bit when I can find a good reason.

I'm sure I have left something out, so please ask away. Thanks for reading.

20130117_170748.jpg

20130117_170731.jpg

Last edited:

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Nice cage. Try googeling breeders of harlaquin macaw parrots in Illinois. that might bring up some hopefully:)

birdbrainzz4me

Dec 22, 2012
michigan
Parrots
former m&f si Eclectus
birdbreeders.com is a good site! i have found a few on there for my self. i am looking into gw's. and good luck to you! :)

Most Reactions