Story of you and your Sun Conure

xxgoldieloxroxxx

Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Parrots
On July 16th a Sun Conure
Hello everyone!
I am Rachel and i am about to get a Sun Conure in exactly 1 week and 5 days!
I have read nearly every forum and so much info!!
I have got a LARGE cage with a slide out tray.
I am making toys from BIRD SAFE MATERIALS
I was going to get a GCC but I instantly fell in love with a Sun. Even their scream. But I would still like tips on how to discourage that though :p
I would like to know about you and you Sun Conure, funny times, training, treats, diet ALL OF IT!
I have done alot of research, but coming from a forum convinces me more.
So what are you waiting for, post your Suns Life Story!
:orange::orange::orange::D:D:D

Sabbath

Apr 26, 2011
Media
My baby was just learning how to fly and I was convinced all he could do was a slight hover but that was it.

Well one feeding I was in the kitchen and my mom was beginning to get food ready. I turn the other way and when I turn around I see Cameron hurling his way to my moms hair and lands in her hair. My mom is yelling "Zach get him out, get him out!" over and over. Was a extremely fun time.

OP
X

xxgoldieloxroxxx

Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Parrots
Bahahahahahaha That is a funny one :) You lil one sounds cute, and thats exactly what my mum would be like PANIC ATTACK lol
Thanks

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Well, Franklin isn't a Sun, but he is a conure...he's a Yellow Sided Green Cheek. (He's a total ham and loves to have his picture taken so I have lots of pictures of him posted in my profile. Just click on my call name above)

Anyway, I think Franklin picked US from the second he saw us walking toward him. We actually weren't at the pet store for another bird, just picking up a new swing and some treats for our 'tiels.

Franklin started bobbing his head, which drew us in...and we said "Hi, awww...aren't you cute!" Then he rolled over on his back, jumped up and scratched at the cage to be let out...then he regurgitated up some seed and my husband and I were cracking up and if THAT wasn't enough, he put his head between his legs and did a summersault, laying on his back looking at us with this look of exasperation.... "NOOOWWWWW will you take me home???!"

We couldn't say no, so that's how we ended up with Franklin. He was hatched on March 19th 2011.

Words can't describe the joy he's brought to our lives. He is a complete character every single day! When we first introduced him to our tiels...they freaked out.."What the heck IS IT!" Franklin would literally puff up his feathers on his back and just behind his neck and run at them...he looked like a hunchback! OMG! SOOO FUNNY! If he got aggressive toward them, we'd pick him up and move him or block him and tell him "Beeee niiiice..." and with in 3 days all we had to say to him was "beeee niiice..." and he'd immediately back off. Now he never bothers them.

Our tiel has already taught him to say "pretty pretty pretty pretty bird" and he's trying to say other things too. When I walk up to him and say "I love you" Franklin makes a kissing sound to finish my sentence.

His acrobatic skills are amazing! This guy climbs, hangs, flips, rolls, swings upside down, often only holding on with one foot. He loves to explore and burrow under blankets and such. The first night we brought him home, I was cooking dinner and my husband was playing with him. When I came upstairs I couldn't find Frankin and hubby said he'd burrowed under the blankets and was laying on his chest sleeping.

I said awwww....well do you want me to put him to bed in his cage? He said...no, do you want to see? I said...yes.

My husband lifted the blanket oooh soooo slowly and what we saw brought tears to both our eyes Franklin was sooo flipping sweet! he was laying sprawled out on his side under the blankets on my husbands chest just peacefully sleeping away.

Franklin is always eager to be out of his cage with us, climbing all over us...he's an ADHD bird! ROFLOLOL!! ;) And when he's in his cage, he's perfectly content to play and entertain himself and he has a voracious appetite!

We couldn't love a bird more I don't think. He's truly enriched our lives.

Good luck with your new bird when you get him/her and most of all...HAVE FUN!

Toni

OP
X

xxgoldieloxroxxx

Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Parrots
THAT IS SOOOO CUTE,AND COOL!
Wow, I have never heard of a bird like it! If a bird did that to me, I wouldn't bve able to say no either!
Franklin is so intelligent, and snuggly! That is the best Conure I have read about!
SO CUTE!!!!!!! :D

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
Wow, I have never heard of a bird like it! If a bird did that to me, I wouldn't bve able to say no either!
Franklin is so intelligent, and snuggly! That is the best Conure I have read about!

He sounds pretty common of a GCC. I also just got a yellow sided GCC, and could not be happier. He is a VERY quiet bird, loves to play with his toys, keeps himself entertained, and is a total snuggle bug. I am amazed each day of the joy he has brought to my home. Highly recommend a GCC for anyone looking for a nice family bird.

Mango3.jpg

rochesteralexk

Jun 25, 2011
I have Sun Conure going on 2 weeks now. She is a very beautiful but temperamental bird. I still think its nervousness from the move and i really dont think she has ever gotten proper care (I am also the 3rd owner). But I am working with her diligently.

Her squawk is not too much of a problem. At night she likes a blanket to be rested on half of her cage and she sleeps a good 12 or so hours without making a peep. Pretty much when she hears me get up she makes a bit of noise and after i see and feed her she quiets down a bit.

Also I am finding that happiness is through food. The loves loves loves bread a sunflower seeds.

Please share your stories when you get your Sun though. Maybe I can learn something from you!

OP
X

xxgoldieloxroxxx

Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Parrots

He sounds pretty common of a GCC. I also just got a yellow sided GCC, and could not be happier. He is a VERY quiet bird, loves to play with his toys, keeps himself entertained, and is a total snuggle bug. I am amazed each day of the joy he has brought to my home. Highly recommend a GCC for anyone looking for a nice family bird.

Mango3.jpg

Oh......I didn't know that lol! I guess all birds can be intelligent and cuddly when they want to be, must be a GCC specialty ;)

OP
X

xxgoldieloxroxxx

Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Parrots
I have Sun Conure going on 2 weeks now. She is a very beautiful but temperamental bird. I still think its nervousness from the move and i really dont think she has ever gotten proper care (I am also the 3rd owner). But I am working with her diligently.

Her squawk is not too much of a problem. At night she likes a blanket to be rested on half of her cage and she sleeps a good 12 or so hours without making a peep. Pretty much when she hears me get up she makes a bit of noise and after i see and feed her she quiets down a bit.

Also I am finding that happiness is through food. The loves loves loves bread a sunflower seeds.

Please share your stories when you get your Sun though. Maybe I can learn something from you!
Thanks for theinformative post, it will DEFINANTLY come in handy!
Good to hear that she is starting to settle i and it prob will take a while since u r the 3rd owner
I WILL BE GOING THREAD POST CRAZYY when I get my bird LOLOLOLOL
I can't wait, IT"S KILLING ME lol
:D Thanks everyone!

Most Reactions

Latest posts