Some people just have the nerve...

darkling

Apr 13, 2011
Alabama
Parrots
RIP Pi - Sun Conure 02/06/11 - 09/10/11
That is about the size of the cage Pi's breeder sent her home in and told me would be the perfect size for one bird. :11: The cage I've got her in now, the breeder told me could comfortably house "a ton of conures" ... I'm thinking maybe two at the most.

I have read that the cage needs to be at least large enough for the bird to spread its wings. Well, that cage is probably JUST large enough for the bird to spread its wings. Geez.

I wonder what they'll house their bird in after they move. Since they can't take that thing with them ...

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
makes you wonder what thre doin with bird if they can't take cage with them?? an my senes cage is 3 times the size of that!

OP
S

Steph

Jun 24, 2011
makes you wonder what thre doin with bird if they can't take cage with them?? an my senes cage is 3 times the size of that!

Right?? There's no explanation! I can't think of a possible explanation for what they'd be doing with the bird after.

Even Alex's travel cage is bigger then that :eek:

Ours is too. That cage would probably be good for a hamster or a mouse. Definitely not a bird.

I have read that the cage needs to be at least large enough for the bird to spread its wings. Well, that cage is probably JUST large enough for the bird to spread its wings. Geez.

Yeah, just cuz the bird fits through the door doesn't mean the cage is the right size. It's like a human living in a closet. :mad:

Sad....It's cruelty!
Shouldn't even be used as a travel cage!
I feel like donating a cage to that bird..lol..

Lol yeah, the poor thing :(. The cage is so empty too. Conures need a LOT more toys to keep them busy. What does he do all day? Climb up an down cage bars??

xxgoldieloxroxxx

Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Parrots
On July 16th a Sun Conure
That cage reminds me of a prison....Boring, tiny, and bad.
I hope the owner is copping tons of screams! :D They deserve it...lol
Climbing up and down cage bars is probably the only entertaining thing to do..

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
You know what guys it is normally the petshops that recommend those size cages & most single birds owners take the advice of the shops because they should know these things. Right, wrong some don't have a clue.

We are here to not criticize but to educate new parrot owners in the correct ways to house, feed & keep our feathered friends in top condition. I didn't think that cage was to small for a GCC & we don't know how much out of cage time that bird has.

Please try & be nice. It would be encouraging if someone kindly pointed out to the owner of that cage that a larger cage for their bird would be a better idea & don't forget they are taking their bird with them & not getting rid of it.

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
I see it all day long on Craigslist. Someone will post a bird for sale, and post a pic. The cage is always tiny, and they will have just one perch, no toys, or anything else. They are surprised the bird is not happy, and makes noise. I feel so sorry for the bird.

OP
S

Steph

Jun 24, 2011
That cage reminds me of a prison....Boring, tiny, and bad.
I hope the owner is copping tons of screams! :D They deserve it...lol
Climbing up and down cage bars is probably the only entertaining thing to do..

Cages always remind me of prisons!! That's exactly what a prison cell is; it's just a giant cage. When I watch CSI and you see people reaching out from the prison bars or talking to people outside and gripping the bars, that's what animals holding onto bars reminds me of. It makes me so sad, especially since these animals don't deserve to be "in prison"!

You know what guys it is normally the petshops that recommend those size cages & most single birds owners take the advice of the shops because they should know these things. Right, wrong some don't have a clue.

We are here to not criticize but to educate new parrot owners in the correct ways to house, feed & keep our feathered friends in top condition. I didn't think that cage was to small for a GCC & we don't know how much out of cage time that bird has.

Please try & be nice. It would be encouraging if someone kindly pointed out to the owner of that cage that a larger cage for their bird would be a better idea & don't forget they are taking their bird with them & not getting rid of it.

That's true, but I feel like any responsible pet owner would do their research before buying a pet. Find out what they eat, what their housing requirements are, etc. But then again there are impulse buyers who just buy the bird on the spot. Not that it's a bad thing as long as they do their research when they get home. It's better than just listening to the pet store employees.

I see it all day long on Craigslist. Someone will post a bird for sale, and post a pic. The cage is always tiny, and they will have just one perch, no toys, or anything else. They are surprised the bird is not happy, and makes noise. I feel so sorry for the bird.

It makes me really sad too :(. I mean, at least put yourself in the bird's... shoes.... Who would want to be locked in a room only maybe 10x bigger than you, with nothing to do but sit on a stick and climb around the bars?? Just imagine the boredom the bird must be going through.

Lokums

Jun 25, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
B&G, Senegal
I blame it on the pet stores. They want to make the sale and if they recommend an expensive cage to the potential buyer it may be too much, then they make up some BS about proper cage size to get the parrot out the door. Another reason I buy no animal from those pet stores.

People think they don't have to do research because "the guy at the pet store" said it was fine. My in-laws have a cage smaller than that for their Timneh. It KILLS me to see him in it, I have said several times he needs a bigger cage. They tried once but of course he was terrified of it so they brought it right back the same day. Now they won't try again even after I advise them that most birds (greys especially) need time to get accustomed to new digs.

If the pet store told him the truth when they got "Sweety" they would have had a bigger cage.

Mike

OP
S

Steph

Jun 24, 2011
Well you have a point, but I think the buyers are partly to blame. Lots of research needs to be done to decide what kind of bird to buy in the first place, and there is a lot to consider since they live for so long.

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
Ummm go ahead and chew me up but ther was toys food (couldn see water dish) a happy hut and few other things. Yea it's a small cage but scale down to size. That budgie in that cage is scale image of most of your macaw in the hqs. It's sad to see a conure or larger parrot than a parrotlet lovebird or budgie. But those 3 (singled out ofcoarse) fit in there just as well as most of your macaw in there cages. I know some have 180 scare foot avairys but atleast the little guy was in good shape and staying with owners. I kept my budgie in a flight. And my brother budgies are in a cage not to much bigger and they sing play and get along just fine. They as well have a hut treat cup and bunches of toys.

Just picture for those who have macaws if you bird was the size of a budgie as well the cage was scaled down to size. It would look weird. That's all I'm saying. IMO and only IMO I belive cages are for roosting. Not entertainment. But that's me.
I'd never keep a budgie in that cage. But I'd never criticize someone about it. I'd just say
After opening a conversation "you know criegslist has super cheep cages avilable? I didn. I think ima check it out". Even though I know all about it. It does lean me toward the insult. Rather giving him an idea. Everyone is open to opinions.
But when said in a neglectful way people tend to rebel against your advise. Which is bad.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Well said conurekidd. I agree with you. I have alway's got my facts straight before i jump in & criticize anyone.

The reason i have said i thought the cage was fine. I am looking after 4 cages of Parrots (9 birds in total) for a guy & the cages he bought the birds over in are the cages they live in. I use the same size cage as my baby cages when the chicks first come out of their box & he has 2 Ringneck & 1 Alex all in the same cage. The cages would be about the size of the cage in this post. Now i have questioned this guy about the size & he assures me his birds are out most of the time except of course when he is out or it's night time. So that's fine with me. But the point i have to make is that all 9 birds are in top condition have beautiful feathers, are fed well & the most important that they all love their owner. What more can you ask for.

I just think that we still have a very long way to go to educate parrot carers. We have come a long way in the last 50 years lets hope the future is so much brighter for our companion parrots & with all you younger ones out there with Parrots your the future & with your help & the knowledge & experience your gaining surely you will pass it on to the ones that don't know, educate people in the right way.

xxgoldieloxroxxx

Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Parrots
On July 16th a Sun Conure
Ok, we all have opinions, here is my FULL opinion.
That cage is alright for a budgie. But the bird seen in that photo CLEARLY isn't a Budgie. So I take it that, either the owner is buying/ bought a new cage, which is why that is for sale. Or maybe not.
Sad thing is we dont know :31:
I definantly think a lovebird, conures, ect. SHOULDN'T be in tha cage!
A budgie....that fine, I guess. As long as it has alot of toys. and birds the same size as budgies.
So I think the person ahs it for sale because, either the petstore gave that to her and realised it was WAY to small for that bird, or she had it as short term use.

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
They could be giving up the bird to a breeder that already has a cage for it? Just a thought.....
That to me looks like a blue crown conure.... those guys need almost double that size for their size and activity level. I will have my green cheek in a 24x27x20, and that is a green cheek! Blue crowns need a bigger cage! This is why people buy tiny cages [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YfuvNiiiPM[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc1dXcFVRNM&feature=autoplay&list=PL0931C35DEFF935CE&index=9&playnext=2"]"]YouTube - ‪Pet Birds : How to Find the Best Cage for a Cockatiel‬‏[/ame]

Last edited:

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
Well everyone's voted to an opinion but I feel if you let him out plenty of times a day for long periods a smaller cage is just fine to roost in. Some Sam chooses his sleep cage to play in rather than his activity cage. Same with Bella. If you give em enough freedom. The cage is only as big as It needs to be. But for a bird to live a cage life (which isn cool IMO). This ones oviously is Completly unexecptable

OP
S

Steph

Jun 24, 2011
I agree with Conurekidd. Even though all of my birds have 7+ hours of daily playtime outside their cage, their cages are still adequately sized. My sun conure is currently in a smaller cage, but that is because she is only about 11-12 weeks old and she is doesn't have perfect balance yet. The front two toes on each of her feet are turned inwards and lay flat on their side, probably from sitting in a nestbox while being handfed. Because of that, it's hard for her to perch, so I'm waiting for her to grow a little older/bigger. I'm afraid she might slip and fall to the bottom of the large flight cage and injure herself. It's taller than it is wide, so it's quite a long way to the bottom.

Most Reactions

Latest posts