Strange Item in Cockatiel’s Water Dish

nanachi

Dec 9, 2019
Hello, today I was changing Bentley’s water dish when I saw a strange item inside. It was a strange pale, diluted yellow. It was round and textured like a raisin. It kind of reminded me of a large yellow raisin. It was wrinkly and round. I wish I snapped a photo but as I was pouring the bowl out I noticed it as it went down the drain. I’m just kind of worried. I looked at his food mix and there’s nothing that could have absorbed the water and became that. :(

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Understanding that Parrots tend to reduce the size of what they are eating to the size of sand grains. Something the size of a raisin could form in the chop and be pushed out 'with difficulty' by a mid to large Parrot. Removal of an object of that size from an impacted chop commonly requires the help of an Avian Professional.

Such an object would be highly unlikely from a Tiel.

A parrot's digestive system is designed to quickly extract elements from what they eat and quickly expel the remainder. The larger the particulate the longer it would take to digest.

Not sure what it was, but be mindful of the make-up of Bentley’s poop over the next few days.

Last edited:
OP
N

nanachi

Dec 9, 2019
His poop looks normal. The only thing I've noticed that has changed was his behavior, he's become somewhat cage dominant and a little moody. I was wondering if it was possible Bentley could be a she, and that it could be a de-calcified egg.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
His poop looks normal. The only thing I've noticed that has changed was his behavior, he's become somewhat cage dominant and a little moody. I was wondering if it was possible Bentley could be a she, and that it could be a de-calcified egg.

That is a subject that is outside of my knowledge. With hope one of our members with experience with Tiel eggs can make a determination in that regard.

Regarding your Tiel's sex, Males tend to be brighter more defined colors, whereas Females tend to be duller in color.

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
What is he eating? I have a Mynah and feed her a special low iron diet, which includes small, black balls that almost look like smooth peppercorns. They are about 2mm to 3mm at most. He doesn't eat them, but they are actually large, pale raisins, I realised when a couple were still in a bowl a was soaking. Could it be from his food?

Most Reactions