Stubborn 'Zon's??...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The only thing more stubborn than a zon is a CAG.

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon 35 years old
I try to take him places with us. It works to an extent, except of course when he won't come out of the cage at the vet. He curls his little toes around the bars and won't let go. Have to pry each one off individually. What a joy!

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Anita, take him with you random places. We take ours to the beach, park, etc. They actually get excited when they see the travel cages come out.

Most times Amy isn't in a carrier..even the 2.5 hour ride to Al and Salty's a couple years back,after 15 minutes on the road looking at her in the carrier with her beaky around the door grate bars listening to him saying Huh? Huh? He had to come out and ride my shoulder.
On occasion going to the vet he's in the carrier but as soon as the carrier door is open he comes right out.

Jim

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Anita, take him with you random places. We take ours to the beach, park, etc. They actually get excited when they see the travel cages come out.

Most times Amy isn't in a carrier..even the 2.5 hour ride to Al and Salty's a couple years back,after 15 minutes on the road looking at her in the carrier with her beaky around the door grate bars listening to him saying Huh? Huh? He had to come out and ride my shoulder.
On occasion going to the vet he's in the carrier but as soon as the carrier door is open he comes right out.

Jim

We usually have more than one bird with us, so it's much safer to use the travel cages. They all really like going to the beach, so we go frequently when the weather isn't blazing hot or too cold.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us

Jim

Wish I could do this but over here the affectionately named "Traffic wombles" (police) will pull you over. It's actually pretty ridiculous how many laws we have on the roads specifically around pets in the car. Yet no law around having to get regular eye tests

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon 35 years old
We are going to Japan this Saturday, and I am toying with the idea of having Sam out of the travel cage on the ride to the vet for boarding. This way I won't have to fight with him to get him out. Usually I am fighting with a parrot in the parking lot, and people will always look at me strangely.

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Hi Jim,
Enzo my CAG normally comes out when i open her door. Sometimes she will make such a fuss of me with kisses and cuddles, sometime she will just fly around, sometimes just look at me from within her cage. I don't get worried about it, i just respect her feelings and let her do her own thing.

If I really want to get her out and she doesnt seem interested ill just rustle a packet of some treats and whoooosh, she is on my shoulder :)

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.

Jim

We usually have more than one bird with us, so it's much safer to use the travel cages. They all really like going to the beach, so we go frequently when the weather isn't blazing hot or too cold.

Usually when going to their doc's,both go at the same time. Because Amy is clipped and doesn't know how to fly ( I'm in the process of trying to "teach" him how to) he rides my shoulder while Beebers is in a carrier ( he is fully flighted but still really doesn't know how to go far) and is kind of nervous being in a carrier and being a cockatiel I just don't trust him for not getting "frightened" from something.
But when we are in the exam room,he too readily walks out.

Jim

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw,green wing Macaw,goffins cockatoo,Congo African grey
I have a four year old yellow nape who is very stubborn at aprox 6:00 am every day I open all the bird cages everyone comes out, the yellow nape though decides he's going to leave his cage and it's a brand new macaw cage huge most of the times I put him back on his door and he will walk right back down jump on the couch walk across the top and go right for the same shoe box.
What I do with him is put him back in his cage when I leave the room he takes too much freedom by leaving the cage, my other birds are trained too stay on their cage I never lock myB&G in his cage. Here why I'm posting this the yellow nape is on his fourth time leaving the cage with me in the room I guess this is my third week with him.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I have a four year old yellow nape who is very stubborn at aprox 6:00 am every day I open all the bird cages everyone comes out, the yellow nape though decides he's going to leave his cage and it's a brand new macaw cage huge most of the times I put him back on his door and he will walk right back down jump on the couch walk across the top and go right for the same shoe box.
What I do with him is put him back in his cage when I leave the room he takes too much freedom by leaving the cage, my other birds are trained too stay on their cage I never lock myB&G in his cage. Here why I'm posting this the yellow nape is on his fourth time leaving the cage with me in the room I guess this is my third week with him.

Sounds like the shoebox is more interesting than the cage....

Would it be possible to give him his own shoebox, a cereal box or something else to destroy on or in his cage? (and watch out for any hormonal behavior!!!) You could fill the box with paper and treats to make it into a foraging activity!

Most Reactions