Styrofoam? Dangerous / Safe?

Zumaria

Sep 30, 2013
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Jenga
Styrofoam cups, styrofoam egg cartons, styrofoam WORLD!

Is styrofoam ok to use for toy building? (egg cartons specifically, but also cups)

halogen

May 18, 2013
Media
Wilmette
Parrots
Arya-Cockatiel
Tyrion-Cockatiel
I'm not entirely certain if it is or not, but I'd think that if your bird were to "dirty it" styrofoam would hold the bacteria pretty well. However, your bird may also chew off the bits of styrofoam and swallow them, in which case it would definitely not be okay. Just to be safe, I'd use a different material.

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
I didn't know the answer, but I was suspicious, so I found this online:

Styrofoam Containers - Shannon Armstrong from the Joshua Rescue Foundation points out to not ever use Styrofoam containers (cups, plates or containers). She points out: Styrofoam containers are DEADLY to birds. The Styrofoam is static and sticks to the inside of the mouth and throat. [T]hen it forms a static mass ... and kills the bird.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Yup, never use it with them or let them have access to it.

OP
Z

Zumaria

Sep 30, 2013
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Jenga
Glad I was being safe rather than sorry - just threw out all 7 egg cartons! Thanks guys, this gives me an excuse to buy the fancy eggs ;)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I miss the paper egg box!!! It seem all the grocers are styrofoam now days. I used the paper one to start garden plants in the house before spring.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Use cardboard or paper. :)

Most Reactions