Sudden death of parakeet :(

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I have a similar story. Couple years ago, I got a budgie from petsmart. About 5 days later he passed after crawling into his hooded food dish. I thought he may have suffocated in there. Petsmart gave us another bird and that one passed on the 8th day.

Now, Kiwi came from a flower shop and has been with us for many months.

I never thought of the hairdryer.

Are 10 year-old teflon pans still dangerous?

Yes- in fact, the older the pan, the MORE dangerous it is. That having been said, they are all very very dangerous. Also, Teflon (PTFE/PFOA/PFCs) has been around since the 1930s, so you can't depend on vintage being safe (unless it is 100% stainless or aluminum etc).

Last edited:

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
There is also a new polymer being used, ETFE which is even worse from what little info I have been able to find.

PTFE starts to degrade and become toxic at or above 530F or 280C according to THIS Or lower temps according to THIS Any damage to the Teflon surface and it will produce toxins at a lower temp.

As far as I am able to find out ETFE produces volatile toxic fumes at a lower temp but I can't find specifics. Not even sure it's being used in cookware at this point. I do know it is used in other nonstick products though.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
There is also a new polymer being used, ETFE which is even worse from what little info I have been able to find.

PTFE starts to degrade and become toxic at or above 530F or 280C according to THIS Or lower temps according to THIS Any damage to the Teflon surface and it will produce toxins at a lower temp.

As far as I am able to find out ETFE produces volatile toxic fumes at a lower temp but I can't find specifics. Not even sure it's being used in cookware at this point. I do know it is used in other nonstick products though.

Thanks for this info on the new polymer---I will say with absolute certainly that the 500+ degree range for off-gassing is incorrect. Bird deaths have been noted within scientific/research settings in the 300+ range. These were NEW products too--off-gassing occurs with greater ease in scratched/older pans. Also, numerous members have posted stories of their own bird deaths at temperatures below 500 F (no dry boiling, no burning, just standard eggs etc).

https://www.ewg.org/research/canaries-kitchen/teflon-kills-birds

Here is at least one instance (yes- this website has an agenda, but all of the sources are legitimate).

"DuPont claims that its coating remains intact indefinitely at 500°F [12]. Experiences of consumers whose birds have died from fumes generated at lower temperatures show that this is not the case. In one case researchers at the University of Missouri documented the death of about 1,000 broiler chicks exposed to offgas products from coated heat lamps at 396°F [13]."

Last edited:

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
Thanks for the link noodles. So much contradictory information out there it's ridiculous. Sorry to OP for going off topic.

OP
A

Agferrell

Jul 18, 2019
Media
No worries:) good info to have! We are sure it wasnt cooking that caused Marbles demise, no cooking had been done since the night before. The ladder being thrown off like it was still concerns me. Its hooks are pretty secure. :/ I wonder if Marble was just not going to last being as stand offish as he was. The new birds have made huge strides in taming in comparison. It's one of those things that will remain a mystery. Thanks y'all for the discussion :) I'm glad I found the group

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Just to add my two cents in, my husband vapes in the living room with our birds (3 cockatiels) a couple puffs a night and the birds have never been affected by it at all. Still happily chirping away and playing and it's been years and no incidents. We also have Glade-plug ins in the hallway and kitchen and nothing has ever happened to the birds from these.

Just saying! IN MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE the scented products as long as they aren't used right next to the birds are totally fine to use in the house.

Most Reactions