sun conure not moulting

Rajshekar

Jan 25, 2017
Parrots
Sun Conure
Hi All,

My sun conure is not started moulting its feather, its feathers are very much green yet. it is almost 8 months old. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20160918_194009.jpg
    IMG_20160918_194009.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 798

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hi All,

My sun conure is not started moulting its feather, its feathers are very much green yet. it is almost 8 months old. Any suggestions?

The Time of Year where you are is critical part of molting. Yes, age plays heavy, but its a balance. Large (extensive) molts are more common prior Summer or prior to Winter.

Parrot tend to molt year ago, but with much lease volume that we tend not to notice that odd feather.

Diet is the last of the four factors of molting. A well balanced, healthy diet provided with consistency will support a large molt. Where a poor diet will not.

At some point within the next quarter, you may be complaining that you are knee deep in feathers.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I agree that although most birds will have had their first molt by 8 months, all birds are different, all birds do things at their own paces depending on what their circumstances are.

How old was your bird when you got him/her? Has he/she had a wellness check-up with your avian vet yet? If not then I would most certainly start there, as every bird should have an all-around well-birdy checkup at least once a year. If you've never had fecal smears, blood work, etc. done then you need to do that asap, not because anything is wrong, but because your bird looks healthy, looks to be in good feather, and you want to have these tests done now to establish a healthy baseline for when your bird may not be well...And it's just good bird ownership to take them once a year, just like you do a child.

Your bird looks healthy, you gave no info about his/her diet, droppings, mood and personality, etc., but if everything seems good then I would think that the molt is coming very soon, and as already stated you'll be up to your eyeballs in feathers shortly.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rajshekar

Jan 25, 2017
Parrots
Sun Conure
I bought him when he was 3 months old and now he is almost 8 months old. I Have been feeding him vegetables like green pepper, broccilli, cucumber, carrot cabbage...etc and fresh fruits like apple, banana, pear...etc and also seeds like sunflower brown rice....He is very active and poops normally ...no signs of illness found. However I will get some tests done.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Well it sounds like he's very healthy, he looks healthy, and I think he's just a late molter. It's coming, but he's taking his time.

It's always good to get them a total well-birdy checkup once a year, whether they are ill or not. Sometimes you can catch things early that you knew nothing about, because birds hide their illnesses and injuries so well. Usually by the time they show signs of being sick or injured they've been hiding it for a long time.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions