sun conure

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You know things doesn't just change over night, it can take time! From reading your postings, your a bit impatient. And the way you think how a bird should act compared to a dog, cat, or other animals. They're far from that! They may never get along, if you get stuck in a room with someone whom you really dislike would you like to be in there with them the whole time? Food changing process takes time to change, you don't just expect them to eat the new food just because it's there. You have to try ways to change them to the new diet. I'll be scared to know if you have kids as you just serve them something they're unsure of and made them eat it regardless. Patience is the key here! Take a step back and retry the process but take your time!

OP
T

Thatdude596

Banned
Banned
Oct 13, 2013
Geez I don't have a bunch of time to Type right now bit geez I would never allow one to get hurt!! We absolutely adore both birds and give the tons of attention! Trust me they are in a great home and to be honest the cage match was a joke! But I'm all seriousness I'm asking for help on how to help them get along. If they won't were thinking clipping each birds wings so they stop flying to is then the other follows and creates a stir.

Yes i have taken many of your thoughts and advice and have applied them. I
Guess I should reread before I hit send and add smiley
Faces and what not

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
IF you want to keep them flighted then separate out of cage time would be wise if they're fighting constantly. To clip or not to clip is your own decision as I can see why you would be clipping them if they were to land on the other one's cage. The one in the cage can bite their toes and hurt them, etc.

OP
T

Thatdude596

Banned
Banned
Oct 13, 2013
Mike I'm willing to give it time on them getting get along because we really don't want to clip them for a few reasons. One of the reasons is our floor is tiled and I'm afraid they may forget they can't fly and land hard on the tile. The other reason is we sometimes like it when they get their exercise and do a flyover

It's just annoying and getting tired some mike that whenever we let then both out one flys to us and then the other. Then they seem aggressive towards each other. Heck I
Could be wrong but friendly would be moving slow to each other and not biting our hands when stopping them from getting to each other. The other issue is they feel they need to constantly fly to us then they don't want to go back. It does get annoying I just don't want them getting hurt by falling on tile

OP
T

Thatdude596

Banned
Banned
Oct 13, 2013
Yes I know what you guys said about housing two birds together. We really want them to be friends as we feel bad when ones out and the other is not. They both love being out of their cages as much as possible. If they never get along I'm ok with that
Too just will clip wings and I hate to do that. I believe
They love to fly and should be able to some plus it's exercise!

OP
T

Thatdude596

Banned
Banned
Oct 13, 2013
My post got taken out of context or some may have thought I was literally going to have a death cage match like wwf . No no no

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Well were gonna have a cage match tonite and see what happens! I'm not playing the take me out take you out game with a pair of birds. They will have to get along as it's becoming a real pita

My post got taken out of context or some may have thought I was literally going to have a death cage match like wwf . No no no

Exactly WHAT was taken out of context? Sounded pretty clear cut to me.

dcowden

Nov 8, 2013
We also have a sun conure. LOVE HIM. He has been such a great addition to our family. They are very smart birds. I am working on getting him to say a few words (not going great but am gonna keep it up). Your sun is really pretty - looks just like mine :) Never thought a bird could be such a big part of the family.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
If you want to keep them flighted then let them be and let them out separately to prevent further complication if they don't get along.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Five months of having Jayde and Charlie now. Five months and the two still don't get along. Sure, they can tolerate each other, but they still squabble, bicker and fight occasionally.

I'm surprised they even tolerate each other at this point! Jayde used to be terrified of Charlie, and Charlie wanted her gone! I'm lucky in that I can handle both with minimal problems, but they aren't friends. They aren't buddies. They do not preen each other. That they can share a dish with minimal arguments is surprising!

Have I mentioned it's been 5 months? My... how time flies!

Rizosmom

Oct 14, 2013
Winnipeg Canada
Parrots
Rizo the Sun Conure hatched May 2013
Kenickie Hahns Macaw hatched Nov 2013
Daughter has a 5 year old Senegal named Maggie
I have a sun and a senegal and put a deposit on a baby hahns macaw today.....the sun and senegal tolerate each other as long as they each stay on their own side of the room...they are not aggressive towards each other but they are not friends and I do not expect them to be....I do expect them to respect each others space...which they do...the same rules will apply with the hahns....do I hope that they will become playmates sure but I would not allow them to be in each others space unless they were showing me that their interest is positive, gentle and non agressive....the key is patience and ALWAYS watch their body language. AND remember that not everyday will be a good day because like us humans they wake up on the wrong side of the bed sometimes too...

Sc0tt

Nov 18, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
Red Throated Conure - Casper | American Budgie - Zeus (R.I.P)
Absolutely stunnning bird! So glad you could rescue and give it a good home. Props to you :]

Most Reactions