Sun or Green Cheek or...?

Blueridge

Sep 16, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
Rocky - Yellow-Faced Quaker Parrot
Herro dere my name is William and I have a quaker parrot named Rocky.

Anyway, I've been thinking lately that I may want a second bird sometime in the future. Well, I've always loved conures. If I ever get another bird I would for sure get a conure. I was hoping that my quaker and the conure could become friends. Of course I would keep them in separate cages and such but I thought it would be fun if they could play together while I supervise them. Which would get along better with a quaker, a sun conure or a green cheek? Or does it not matter at all? I know the sun conure is bigger, not sure if this should affect my decision or not.

I also like cuddly birds so I was wondering if the sun or green cheek is more snuggly?

Or should I get a different conure like a pineapple or something? I basically want a conure that would be most likely to get along with my quaker, and is the most snuggly. I understand that no two birds are guaranteed to get along but...

Thanks!

:22:

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
Chico the Cinnamon Green Conure and Malik the Congo African Grey
I love both Suns and Green Cheeks and their both equally snuggly but its really the noise and how much you can handle it. A sun is a very loud bird while a Green Cheek is a more quiet bird (to some extent). If you wanted a Green Cheek, Pineapples are a very good choice. If you want to go the sun route (just remember their noise level) they great choice.

Hope this helps some.

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
Chico the Cinnamon Green Conure and Malik the Congo African Grey
P.S. A Quaker may or may not get along with a Conure just remember to supervise and they (if they tolerate each other) should be fine.

Jewelz

Oct 26, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Parrots
Black-cap Conure - 'Felix' -Hatched May. 12/2013
Peach-Face Love Bird - 'Sam' (1990-2013)
I'm partial to my black-cap :) he would be closer to the green cheek but he is suuuuuppppeeerrrrrrr snuggly....very affectionate...very smart......

OP
Blueridge

Blueridge

Sep 16, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
Rocky - Yellow-Faced Quaker Parrot
I love both Suns and Green Cheeks and their both equally snuggly but its really the noise and how much you can handle it. A sun is a very loud bird while a Green Cheek is a more quiet bird (to some extent). If you wanted a Green Cheek, Pineapples are a very good choice. If you want to go the sun route (just remember their noise level) they great choice.

Hope this helps some.

It did help thanks! Pineapples are very pretty, I might think more about getting one of them..

KeroRocks

Feb 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Parrots
Sheldon-M- GCC |
Cooper -F--Yellow sided GCC | Dori -F- Blue Quaker | Marley -M- Sun Conure | Kero -M- Hahn's Macaw | Sam-M- CAG
|Yara -F- RFM | Boo -F- Red Rump parakeet
I haven't had a lot of luck with Green Cheeks. They tend to bite, nip more than any other bird. I have a sun who loves belly rubs. My Green cheeks hate to be touched and bite to draw blood.

I'm sure there are people with green cheeks that don't bite, but I haven't met one yet.

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Kiwi Stardust - a green cheek conure
My greencheek doesn't bite-bite at all, unless she's scared. Even when she's upset, she'll give me a little pinch with her beak but it's never painful, also when we play-wrestle ^.^. However, she DOES bite-bite strangers...

Maineiacjay

Nov 11, 2013
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Hahns Macaw (Berlin), Sun Conure (Skittles), RIP Connor (Black Cap Conure)
Between my black cap and my sun, i would have to say that my sun was the more snuggly bird. Connor, the black cap, loved being pet, but if you tried petting him somewhere he didnt like, he would bite, and it could be hard sometimes. my sunny, skittles, doesnt really bite hard unless she is really mad at you or scared. otherwise, she loved being pet pretty much anywhere.

when Connor passed, what i looked for when getting another companion for Skittles was size. i wanted birds of almost equal size, not too much smaller and not too much larger. so i got a Hahns Macaw because it was almost the same size. same size equals less damage if one gets in a scuffle with the other... usually ;) with my mix, i have to factor in beak size as well, so the Hahns can still do damage, but at least he isnt supersized compared to skittles.

SO, if i were in your place, my personal decision would be to get a Sun, or even one of the larger conures like a Nanday, something closer to the size of your Quaker. i would worry too much about putting a large bird with a small bird, even being supervised, i would be afraid that if i turned my back for a minute, the larger bird, whether intentional or unintentional, would injure the smaller bird.

however, as mentioned, the sun is a much louder bird. when she screaches, its pretty annoying, so if you cant handle that, its probably not the bird for you. but my black cap was almost as loud as she was when he wanted to be. I think thats why i gravitated towards the Hahns when i went searching for a new bird. she is pretty quiet, she doesnt screech at all, she chirps and she squawks like a macaw, which is less ear-piercing than a conure.

thats my thoughts... sorry if it got off topic a bit! my mind wanders...

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Well of corse I'm going to say a green cheek but really they are A DORIABLE! :D they might be small yes but there parrotality makes up for that! Suns are VERY loud I and sometimes unbarable. But I don't know maybe you love constant screaming! So my say is a Greeny!

handfedhandfuls

Aug 12, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Senegal (Toby - female), Congo African Grey (Raz - male), Crimson-Bellied Conure (Phoenix - male), Blue-Throated Conure (Rio - male, future breeder), 2 Blue-Fronted Amazons (Ollie - male, Georgie - fe
I would get a sun tomorrow if I didn't have neighbours next door..

Crazyformybaby

Dec 9, 2013
Australia
Parrots
Will soon have a sun conure
I am getting a sun. Although they are beautiful sound does count. I personally have no problems because I live on a 10 acre block outside of town. Personally, get more information on both birds then tell us which you prefer. They are both good choices

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
You might want to consider the size of the bird you would be getting, and maybe it's best to try to keep it about the same size as your Quaker - my understanding is that the Green Cheeks and the Black Capped are the 2 more smaller speces of Conure.

leo1955

Mar 20, 2013
Media
I have a Sun Conure and I dont have any problem with him in terms of associating with my other birds ( I have 2 cockatiels). In fact, they are kept in only one cage, they share foods, etc. Whenever they are out of cage, they fly together. My sun conure is so snuggly and cuddly. He always wants to be with me. Love this bird.

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
I have both. Although, I suspect that my GCC was hand raised vs my Sun who was hand tamed. My GCC is only cuddly with my daughter, but that's the human she has picked. The rest of us get occassional affection but definitely get bitten if we somehow offend her and she is easily offended. Trixie doesn't draw blood except with my husband who she loathes, lol.

Sunny is a total cuddle bug. He likes to snuggle, begs for scritches and gives kisses.

Farnoosh

Aug 7, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Parrots
Paisley, pineapple green cheek born February 12, 2021, and
Daisy the most beautiful Pineapple green cheek, currently flying in paradise RIP February 2, 2020 – August 14, 2021
My greencheek doesn't bite-bite at all, unless she's scared. Even when she's upset, she'll give me a little pinch with her beak but it's never painful, also when we play-wrestle ^.^. However, she DOES bite-bite strangers...
Mine doesn't bite either, and I have a pineapple one like yours. But I used to have a maroon bellied GC and he bit me a lot! Maybe the pineapple ones are more gentle? Or maybe it has everything to do with personality –

Most Reactions

Latest posts