Sunny update! More photo spam!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Oh Hannah, my deepest condolences for your loss of Spike. Sending hugs.

I still hold out much hope for Sunny to return with a few chicks in tow and a beautiful hen orbiting at comfortable distance.

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
I feel for you, Hannah! Our big ginger cat, Seamus, disappeared a couple of years ago and we never found out what happened to him. We hope he's living a fine life with another kind family, but - well - we just don't know.

I think all the pointers were that our Sunny was feeling the pull of Mrs Sunny and a clutch of little Sunnies. Your selflessness allowed him to take part in a normal, corellish life, just as he was born to do. He probably has memories of you and your home as he flies the skies. Who knows? Maybe when the breeding season's over, he might pay you a visit? Maybe not. Whatever happens, we all know you gave him his life back and that was HUGE!

My kids and I used to breed fancy mice. They were the most adorable and clever little creatures (the mice, not the kids - although they have their own charms), but mice only live for two or three years and we had to go through that awful loss every few months. We were comforted by telling ourselves that although the little guy's lives were short, they spent them with *us* and we made each other happy for those two years. My son, Matt, was especially distressed by losing his mousie friends, but even he learned a sort of acceptance: it's Life after all.

You've had the pleasure of Sunny and Spike to brighten your life and you certainly brightened theirs. Don't be sorry. Be glad you got to share that time.

Sending hugs! XXXX

Thank you Betrisher, Animals sure pull on the heart strings don’t they!
Aww I’d love to get mice one day! Hamsters are my absolute favourite little creatures so I’m devastated they don’t exist in Australia!! So my plan is to get some mice but not until we move house.
Thanks for your kind words and support :)

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

What an emotional rollercoaster couple of days.
The lovely member Sassibird PM’d me yesterday morning alerting me to a exotic vets Facebook post about a found long billed Corella. We could both see from the photo that the beak looked too short to be Sunny (hence my random beak post!). But there was still a chance it could have been him, I’d always be wondering if I never went to find out.
So I managed to get the day off work today and drove the 2hrs to go and see if it was my Sunny. I felt sick the whole way there, excited and nervous. I knew it was highly unlikely to be him. But couldn’t stop imagining driving back home with him in the carrier next to me. It would have been the best day of my life.

The vet took me into where he was being caged and left me to it. He didn’t react to me calling out his name at all, he looked scared and hid at the back. He didn’t seem to know my smell and just wanted to bite me.. which I let him as it didn’t hurt. I could see that he didn’t have any missing tail feathers like Sunny had. And indeed he beak was much shorter. He also looked older, more mature than Sunny. I spent 20 minutes with him. He didn’t know me at all, and I didn’t know him.

I left in tears, My dream of bringing Sunny home, shattered.
I must move on. I pray he’s well. But I know deep down he’s not with us anymore.
Maybe I should have kept him domestic. Maybe it’s all my fault. But at least he got to feel the wind through his wings.

I’m so grateful to Sassibird for contacting me about the post. Thank you so much xx

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I wondered if the beak post was about Sunny. What a disappointment that must have been. My heart is forever with you and I can’t give up hope that Sunny will still return to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Nothing is your fault Hannah
This story reminds me about my best mate Billy the bearded Dragon whom I had for 7 years
That boy of mine was the most wild and free lizards anyone had ever seen, he had a huge outdoor cage full of growing grasses, rocks, wild bugs he could go foraging for and logs and he even had his own pair of quails running around the aviary.
It may be vague, but the moral of the story is, our pets get given things that no other pet ever has, like my Billy's outdoor cage, and your Sunny's chance to be like a true wild bird, they get lost, they will survive with ease
Just keep the positives at heart, thats all that matters and I pray that he makes a quick return, birds aren't dumb, he will return.
I thought I lost one of my recently fledged conures on the weekend. It took off and because it was its first day out of the nest so it would not recognize its surroundings, I thought it would not have a chance of returning, but nope, it returned and was put back into the aviary the next day.
Think as well, Sunny had the chance to learn how to fend for himself. He was able to eat grasses and seeds that he knew to eat in the wild, compared to a domestic house pet where they are fed all these pellets and chopped up fruit and veges, if Sunny does not return (which is very unlikely), he is most definitely flying around wild and free, fending for himself with ease and who knows, he might pick up a lady corella along the way.
Losing hope is the worst thing you can do for such a independent little man like Sunny
Thanks
Noah Till

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I agree with Noah. There's absolutely no reason to assume Sunny has met with any harm. Of course he *may* have, but more probably he's bonded strongly to a flock (which is what he was designed to do) and perhaps even to a Mrs Sunny. Bonds like that are much stronger than we can imagine - after all they mean the difference between life and death to a bird - so Sunny's probably doing exactly what you wanted for him.

Aside from anything else, this drought is causing all sorts of weird things among our wildlife. Just this week, I've seen a *King Parrot* (yeah, that's right: a bl**dy King Parrot) in my back yard *and* a White-faced Heron on my back fence. Neither of these is normal and I'm assuming they were birds displaced by the drought and searching for food and water. Sunny will go wherever his flock does in search of those things. He may be way out of your area right now and he may or may not come back. But give him time. Give him at least a season before you assume the worst, OK? :)

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Thank you everyone for your kind words of support. I was doing okay, but Visiting that Corella yesterday just made me feel all sorts of emotions!
I’m feeling okay today.

The Corella flocks are still here, 100s of them flying over and around the farm everyday. I hope Sunnys with them, happy with a girlfriend.

I hope the fires aren’t near you Bertrisher?

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Thanks for thinking of me, Hannah - no, luckily most of the fires are not too close, although we're certainly getting an awful lot of smoke being sucked down the Hunter Valley and coming to rest over Newcastle. How about you? I haven't heard of much fire activity in Victoria, although that's not to say there isn't any. Scary times indeed!

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Phew, Glad it’s not too close to you. It’s so awful.. can’t stop thinking about all the poor animals and birds :(
So far so good in Victoria! Extreme heat and wind today but luckily haven’t heard of any fires.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Fires have been bad over the hill from my place at Pechey and Hampton, the whole property gets covered in smoke
A massive flock of Red Browed Firetails must have been pushed out of the scrub by the fire, and thankfully have made residents on our property where they can eat all the old bird seed and have a good drink at the bird bath
Thanks
Noah Till

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Thank goodness you’re safe Noah and hopefully you’ll stay that way! We’ve been thinking of you and your family and wondering if the fires were close to you. Oh for a decent downpour of rain and soon!

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Fires have been bad over the hill from my place at Pechey and Hampton, the whole property gets covered in smoke
A massive flock of Red Browed Firetails must have been pushed out of the scrub by the fire, and thankfully have made residents on our property where they can eat all the old bird seed and have a good drink at the bird bath
Thanks
Noah Till

Oh Noah, how scary!! I’m so glad you’re okay. Thank goodness the firetails have found refuge on your property.
Stay safe

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

I left in tears, My dream of bringing Sunny home, shattered.
I must move on. I pray he’s well. But I know deep down he’s not with us anymore.
Maybe I should have kept him domestic. Maybe it’s all my fault. But at least he got to feel the wind through his wings.

Hannah, this is what separates you from 99% of the humans to ever have roamed earth. Your reverence for Sunny and his greatest destiny potential allowed him rehabilitation to health and freedom to choose. I completely understand your sense of dread, but odds are Sunny is happily overhead with a mate. We all dearly hope he sends you a signal with his presence - soon! :smile015:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Uggghhh, those horrific fires. Dearly hoping for relief with overwhelming sadness for the plight of all living things in the path of destruction.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Parrots
Thankyou all for the kind words on my behalf
Plenty of water is being left out with old leftover bird seed for the wild birds in these dire times.
Red Brows, Double Bars, King Parrots, Galahs, Cockatoos, Lorikeets and plenty others have decided to take refuge on our property
There is a Galah hanging around with its tail feathers a bit blackened from the fires, but is doing well
Thank god the wind has died down a lot, which takes a lot of stress from the firies
Thanks
Noah Till

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Noah, I just spat fruit salad all over my screen! Many times, I've scanned your flock names without really registering. Just now, I saw you had our Prime Minister among your feathery friends! Heeheeheeheehee! Is there a particular reason for that? Hmm? :D

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Parrots
Well Betrisher, I guess its appropriate for a Quaker Parrot named 'Scomo' after the PM to have Prime Minister written beside its name.
I love the name Scomo, LaManuka gave him that name and I think its a fantastic name
Thanks
Noah Till

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

:D
Noah, I just spat fruit salad all over my screen! Many times, I've scanned your flock names without really registering. Just now, I saw you had our Prime Minister among your feathery friends! Heeheeheeheehee! Is there a particular reason for that? Hmm? :D

Well Betrisher, I guess its appropriate for a Quaker Parrot named 'Scomo' after the PM to have Prime Minister written beside its name.
I love the name Scomo, LaManuka gave him that name and I think its a fantastic name
Thanks
Noah Till

Lol, I recall Martina had to explain that to us on the other side of the planet!

Wouldn't be appropriate for me to post direct link, but if you search Scomo in the Urban Dictionary and scroll down a bit, well, just wow! https://www.urbandictionary.com/

Last edited:
OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

:D

Thanks
Noah Till

Lol, I recall Martina had to explain that to us on the other side of the planet!

Wouldn't be appropriate for me to post direct link, but if you search Scomo in the Urban Dictionary and scroll down a bit, well, just wow! https://www.urbandictionary.com/

Well that certainly has a lot of definitions! :18::eek: wow indeed lol!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts