t-minus 6 weeks and counting....

Cliffordsmom

Mar 6, 2012
Oklahoma
Parrots
Sun Conure (Clifford), two budgies (Odin and Diana), and CAG (Bongo)
We have 6 week until our new baby CAG comes home! I have a few concerns. Clifford has made some fantastic improvment these last couple week, we haven't even had him home for a month yet so I know he is still going to be adjusting to things, but like I said I have a few concerns before bringing in a new flock member.
First, this is either going to go real well or real bad. I figure that Clifford is going to do one of two things: FLIP OUT, or adjust well because he will now have some birdie company. Clifford is playing the shy game, he will not stpe up and if I put my hand in his cage he runs away. which is better than the biting he used to do. Sometimes he will come out and sit on the chair next to me an watch tv, but If you move to touch him, back into his cage he goes.
He screams when he does not get what he wants. Like a toddler that cannot have anymore candy. He throws these tantrums that last for a loong time. I cannot give in to that because it seems like it would just reinforce the screaming by letting him know that when he does it he will get what he wants, so I try to wait to show him attention until he does something much more quieter like, ringing his bell or saying peek a boo. then he gets a treat, and a bunch of "good boys".
My concern, what is the best way to handle his behavior and try to adjust it in such a short time. The last thing I need is a screaming grey. I know they like to mimick. It's also very important to me that Clifford does not re-gress when the new baby comes home. I want Clifford to know that I love him just as much as I ever did if not more by the day and wouldnt want there to be any jealousy issues. I also wouldnt want either bird to dislike the other. trying to build a happy loving flock here...
I appreciate any tips or advice you all have.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Until the new bird is there, it is hard to say how Clifford will react. He might be thrilled with a new birdie flock mate or he may be very jealous. I always do everything first with Rowdy. She gets fed first, gets treats first, gets her cage cleaned first, and comes out first. That seems to help lessen the jealousy.

Just bear in mind it is possible they won't be able to be out together. Conures think nothing of attacking a larger bird, and the larger bird could hurt him very badly if it defends itself.

OP
Cliffordsmom

Cliffordsmom

Mar 6, 2012
Oklahoma
Parrots
Sun Conure (Clifford), two budgies (Odin and Diana), and CAG (Bongo)
What do you thik about me taking Clifford to the pet store to visit? He needs his wings and claws done anyway, and I thought it may be better to take him on his first car ride to see all the other birdies instead to the vet....car=fun??? plus he can get to know the new baby a bit before we bring him home.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I think it's a good idea. Let them start meeting each other now. And birds usually enjoy going for car rides.

Sulphiria

Banned
Banned
Mar 12, 2012
Deltona, Florida
Until the new bird is there, it is hard to say how Clifford will react. He might be thrilled with a new birdie flock mate or he may be very jealous. I always do everything first with Rowdy. She gets fed first, gets treats first, gets her cage cleaned first, and comes out first. That seems to help lessen the jealousy.

Just bear in mind it is possible they won't be able to be out together. Conures think nothing of attacking a larger bird, and the larger bird could hurt him very badly if it defends itself.

So true. The sun conure we had would turn on the cag all the time. Luckily our cag would just look at him funny and walk away. You could just see him thinking "stupid bird, youre a waste of my time." Lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts