Taking birds with me to summer camp?

samanthabe1

Jan 1, 2011
Arizona
Parrots
Two sun conures Skittles and Buddy.
I might be getting a job at a local summer camp and before a interveiw(If I get one) I just wanted to know if it would be safe to bring my two sun conures up to the mountain. It would be in the summer so I shouldn't have to worry about being to cold at night and I would hate to leave them at home for a whole month:(.

Any sudgestions? I also plan on getting a larger cage if I do and adding a lock to any of the doors since they'll be young children around.

Printer bird

Jan 4, 2011
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Dipper, 8 year old WC Pionus
RIP Charlie, Green Cheek Conure,
Lelu, parrotlet and
Poe the budgie.
I think it would be nice of your parrots to come with you to camp! I know my vet has said I can absolutely travel with my green cheek if I'd like. They enjoy staying with their owner. Travel can be a bit stressful, though, so make sure they are getting lots of nutritious food and protein when they first arrive. Make sure you can get them their good diet when you are up there (pellets are no problem, but fresh veg etc might be unless you get permission from the camp first). Then, its all the usual - make sure they have light, aren't around fumes of any sort (like mosquito spray and campfires!) etc. Watch to make sure they aren't being bothered by insects, make sure they still get attention and you should be good. Probably the kids will love having parrots to look at and learn about. But the lock is a great idea just in case some trickster ones want into the cage when you're not around. :)

OP
S

samanthabe1

Jan 1, 2011
Arizona
Parrots
Yeah the youngsters worry my the most. If I get the job interview I'll ask about bringing them up there and where I'd be allowed to take them. The fresh fruit and veggies are not a problem. I'm told by my mom that they have animals like snakes up there but of course my brother does not remember what kind. There are bears up in the mountain so I'm a little worried about them coming around in the night. So depending on the heating systems I'm going to bring a sleep cage. If there's a course in animals or involving animals I can offer to show the kids skittles and buddy(If they're not frightened of course)
Thanks

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
As for the bugs, please, cover them with a mosquito net everytime they're in their cages. I brought my birds camping with me, and I covered their caged with the nets. Mosquitoes and other bugs can transmit dangerous diseases or parasites we don't get. I've heard of stories with birds dying because of mosquito, or sawfly infestations.

OP
S

samanthabe1

Jan 1, 2011
Arizona
Parrots
As for the bugs, please, cover them with a mosquito net everytime they're in their cages. I brought my birds camping with me, and I covered their caged with the nets. Mosquitoes and other bugs can transmit dangerous diseases or parasites we don't get. I've heard of stories with birds dying because of mosquito, or sawfly infestations.

That's really interesting. I'll make sure I bring a couple.

alanis

Mar 6, 2012
Children learn how to build a world of peace through interactions with other campers and problem solving in a positive, interactive manner. If you love animals then you can also bring your pet animals there and enjoy a lot.

summer camps

osnyder

Sep 26, 2011
Philadelphia
Parrots
Stitch the Blue Crown Conure
I don't see why not :) as long as they're safe the whole time. I know birds can be sensitive to their surroundings so there is a chance they might be a little nervous for a while.

Most Reactions

Latest posts