Talking Toos?

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Does anyone else's Toos talk a lot? I just assumed that my first one years ago was a quiet one, a side from the screaming of course, he was a U2. The one I have now is a M2 and her vocab is pretty good she says 'where were you' 'I love you' 'step up' 'pretty bird' 'romeo' 'kitty get back' 'I adore you' and a few others I cant think of. Shes says them all with really good clarity, except for the step up shes has just learned that one. Whats interesting is that usually the words are combined with whats going on. For instance if I've been gone for awhile and come home thats the only time she says 'where were you', never any other time. Shes only said 'kitty get back' twice and its been when hes jumped up too close to her. She only says 'step up' as shes stepping up or when she wants to move some where else (like she was sitting on me turned around to face my boyfriend put her foot up in the air and said step up). She only says 'I love you' when we're with her, when shes outside by herself she chatters words that I cant make out but never 'I love you' when shes by herself. She will say pretty bird randomly, and in her previous home she was called Romeo and she used to say that a lot in the first few months but we don't call her Romeo any more (just Rome) and she hasn't said it in over 6months. In her previous home she was never outside and they had never had dogs, step up was also not in her vocab - she picked that up from us. She now makes bald eagle noises, red shoulder hawk noises, mocking bird noises (not the nice one but the I'm angry noise) high pitched puppy barks (from the neighbors) and yesterday she was barking like a dog (she got the pitches right and everything, I had to look outside because I thought there was a new dog in the yard and it didn't sound like any of mine- it was her. I talked to her old owners and she never did any of that there (they had her for the past 14years). Shes 16 almost 17yrs old and apparently has been picking up a lot of new stuff still.

So that was extremely long, but I was just reading other post and have heard that Toos aren't normally talkers. So I was just wondering for all of you Too people if any of yours talks as well. I'm not sure if mine is just a fluke, or if they are all like that (which is what I had naively assumed).

MickeysMom

Feb 13, 2012
Media
Albums
Brookhaven, Pa
Parrots
Mickey - Female U2 age unknown. DNA test came back...he is a SHE,

Tinker 12 yr old female GCC

Chiquita 16 yr old Female U2 and Junior 16 yr old Male Grey
I can't speak for Too's in general, but Mickey talks quite a bit, and is learning new words/phrases. We have had him about a month, and he says Hello, Pretty Bird, Mama, I'm a pretty girl (he is I assume a male due to the black eyes) He is learning I love you, step up and bye bye (mumbled so far but getting clearer). He also says a word under his breath that I couldn't for the life of me figure out....I thought he was saying mammasomethingoranother........We do not swear around him (just in case) but Hubby was telling a rather animated story the other night and said a very very bad word (MF) welllllll Mickey said it plain as day...that's what he's been mumbling since we got him!!!!

So I guess it depends on the bird how well they end up talking.

OP
Molcan2

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Cute, we try not to use bad language around her. I would strongly suggest getting Mickey DNA tested. My M2s previous home said that she would lay an egg on occasion but they never saw her do it. When I took her to the vet for the first time the Dr. swore to me that she was a male. She has very dark eyes, her pubic bones are very close together etc. The previous home had several birds and she had never been DNA tested, so I had it done ( I crossed my fingers and hoped for a male). She is a female with all physical male characteristics. I think its important to know the gender (esp with Toos) so that you can discourage egg laying behavior and prevent potentially life threatening problems (egg bound, not enough calcium in the diet etc.)

MickeysMom

Feb 13, 2012
Media
Albums
Brookhaven, Pa
Parrots

It is on the list. The home we got him from had only had him for 3 months, and couldn't tell us his age or anything else...I have no idea about the home before that....but he was loved and worked with at some point as he is friendly and interactive with us, and quite outgoing! I would love to know for sure, as someone taught him to say "I'm a pretty girl".

OP
Molcan2

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Yeah, Rome's name was Romeo. We tried to change it but the only thing she would accept was Rome (we add the princess title to it as well).

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
My Goffin is young yet , but he does say Hello and is trying to say something else but it sounds a bit jibberish yet.
My Rose Breasted Galah says a few things , "little bit" refers to someone motioning a head scratch with their finger , lolol.
( she's a re home , I didnt teach her that , lolol. )
and she says , "hello" , and a few other jibberish words , not as clear yet...but she does make a ton of sounds .
I do think she is going to say something that has to do with the dogs , like "get out of there" when they clean up around the cages for me , lolol. Its always fun to hear new things they pick up :)

MickeysMom

Feb 13, 2012
Media
Albums
Brookhaven, Pa
Parrots

Yeah, Rome's name was Romeo. We tried to change it but the only thing she would accept was Rome (we add the princess title to it as well).

Luckily Mickey could go either way :D

OP
Molcan2

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Yes this is true, Rome is still a very masculine name but we've used it so much that it seems to fit. :D

Oh and yes she does say hello, forgot to put that one up there. She abuses that word and says it more than any other. Usually that one is random but she does do a cute trick where if we knock three times on something she will say hello, and then she knocks three times on something and she'll pause and turn her ear to us and wait for us to say hello and when we do she gets all excited. Its amazing how intelligent they are.

MickeysMom

Feb 13, 2012
Media
Albums
Brookhaven, Pa
Parrots

That is a really cute trick! I don't think Mickey knows any "tricks", or if he does we haven't found them yet. He does like to make a barking sound, and then he listens for the neighbors dog, then will "bark" again..... Our dogs just ignore him......

Oh and he LOVES running water! He will laugh and laugh....doesn't matter if it's the sink, the shower, or just me filling the sump under the fish tank.....

And he has mumbled conversations with the fish....he especially likes the blue tang.....Or maybe that's the one that looks the tastiest!

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
The only tricks my Yoshi knows so far is "peek a boo"and "come".
I touch the outside of his wing , and say "peek-a-boo" and he covers his face and looks at me upside down :) He kept doing it in the beginning so I would just mark the action with a "yes" and he would do it more , then I put the name to it , and the rest is history. It really is a cute trick to see him do , he is such a love bug :)
I stand a couple of feet back from his cage and hold my arm out , he would fly on myarm just to be with me , but again , I marked the action with a "yes" , and he now does it from anywhere. Then when I want him to go back to his cage , I just tell him "go fly" and he goes back to his cage top :) We are working on other tricks too :)

MickeysMom

Feb 13, 2012
Media
Albums
Brookhaven, Pa
Parrots

Mickey now says I love you, usually while eating his warm oatmeal :D

He has also learned "High Five" and "shake"....he's a little obsessed with both and will try to play no matter what else you are doing with him..... he mumbles what I think will be "high five mamma" and then lifts his foot for a tap..... when he gets tired of that he grabs my finger and moves it up and down for "shake"

He's picking things up so quickly!:white1:

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Oh that sounds really cute :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Our Java talks up a storm...he says "what'cha doing?", hello, and many other words. Lately he learned to say "Java a bad bird, bad bird, bad bird, bad bird" lol...

Dixie on the other hand whistles more then talk as her voice is so light you can hardly understand what she's saying...

Most Reactions

Latest posts