The Great Porker Escape

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Ok, I said in Mayden's thread last night that once I was awake I would tell about the time my Vietnamese pot belly pig, Porkchop, escaped. He lived in the shed in my backyard and shared the same fenced area as my dogs used. Well, I was trying to find new high speed internet service and called a local company. They told me on the phone that I probably was outside the service area, so I thought that was that. Well, apparently someone came to my house anyway to do a site survey to see if they could get me coverage. Since I didn't know anyone was going to be coming, I didn't warn them not to leave the back gate open, or tell them about the pig. And I was at work.

When I got home from work, there was the gate wide open and Porkchop was gone. One neighbor had said they had seen him in my front yard munching flowers, but they didn't know he wasn't supposed to be there:54: Too bad, or he could have been caught right away!

I looked everywhere but knew he was probably in one of the corn fields. When corn is 6 feet tall, finding your way around a field isn't easy. However, I did find him in a field after about 3 days. I came across what looked like a bed made of corn stalks and said, a ha! A few minutes later I found him. Like a good porker, he followed me back, but once we got to the road he freaked. I had no idea a pig could run that fast! He was much faster than I was! Dust was flying out behind him like rocket smoke. And I couldn't find him again :-(

A couple days later he went to a neighbor's to eat their flowers. The wife saw him and thought he was a wild boar and called the sheriff. When I got home from work I found out they had been chasing him all over the fields in a squad car! Another neighbor who knew it was actually my pet and not a wild boar was standing over him when I got home. He was almost dead from exhaustion and fear. He couldn't even get up. We had to lift him into a horse trailer, bring him back and lift him out again.

He did thankfully recover fully, but that is the tale of the great escape.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Wow, poor little thing. He had an eventful week.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Porkchop, what a brilliant name for a piggie.

Glad you got him back, can only imagine how scary that was! Especially when people could have happily shot him or something. + Cornfields, lucky you ;) of all the different types of fields he could have picked it would be corn!

Next time you ever have a pig in your backyard, make a sign "Porkie out back, close the gate!"

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Well, I figured it would be corn since that is what pigs love to eat, and sure enough that's what he chose. Yes, a hay field or soybeans or wheat would have made him much easier to find!

I was also worried someone would shoot him, or they would come harvest the corn and get him in a combine.

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Oh, and ha ha, there was another sighting of him before the day the sheriff came. But, when one neighbor told another he saw a pig walk through his back yard, she didn't believe him because he was drunk and drunkeness was his usual state. She thought he hallucinated it:D

Most Reactions