The tongue..

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Well this was a long time coming!!! :54:

You all know how Fargo is obsessed with sticking his tongue out...

I knew the day would finally come when something bad would come from him sticking it out all the time..

I put him in his cage so i could quickly finish a chem question without distractions (Chem exam tomorrow), and as i was closing the door, he just stuck his tongue in the opening... and yep, his poor little tongue got squished :eek:

He screamed, and i quickly opened it, and he looked angry/upset with me

I opened his beak, felt his tongue, and it was all normal, didn't do any damage, and he is acting perfectly normal now..

But seriously?!??!?

Little lesson for Fargo that maybe his tongue shouldn't be out all the time :rolleyes: Lucky it didn't do any damage, silly boy!!!!

Most parrot owners make sure the birds feet aren't stuck, it looks like i will have to make sure his tongue is never in the way now haha

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Aw, sorry Tab, poor Fargo! I'm glad he's okay.

You know that's a "mating" or courting behavior right? I just think he does it a lot cause he LOVES you so much :D My Red Bellied parrot Robin does it sometimes.

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hahaha i giggled after when i knew he was ok :p I felt so bad though, that tongue is so quick, it just shot out as i closed it!

He got new toys the other day so lets just pretend that makes up for it ;)

Hahaha Julie, i think it is because he always wants a kiss? The funniest thing is when i hold his beak, and lean forward, and he puts his tongue out trying to reach mine :eek:

He is sitting on my hair now, at least there was no hard feelings :)

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hahahaha Joe you are encouraging his behaviour!!!!! :p

Look at this boy, definitely no hard feelings that i squished his tongue :eek:

This is a new little perch he got so he can sit and watch my computer...

Then just some scritches- Terrible phone, makes his feathers look funny coloured

Seriously though, that scream they make when they are in trouble is horrible :( Sounds like they are being murdered!

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oh and can anyone answer this question for me.. Fargo has ALWAYS done this..

He gets his toys (Wood blocks ect) and sits on my shoulder, and puts them in my hair whilst he chews them?

He is sitting here at the moment with 2 pieces in my hair turning the pieces into splinters

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Oh Fargo.... Lol poor guy!!! I couldn't help but snicker- him always sticking that tongue out! Glad his little tongue is ok [emoji13]

And he puts wood blocks in your HAIR???! and chews them???? LOL it's the latest trend in parrot and mommy fashions!!! Shhhhhh- don't tell chili [emoji51]

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
I'm glad Fargo's okay, but... this is too funny! He's like the Miley Cyrus of macs! Or maybe Gene Simmons? LOL

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yes Shirre!!! He has always done it.. Is it like a nesting thing? Gah i have no idea, it is so annoying :p So half the time he is chewing my hair as well as the wood hahaha

HAHA!!! I always said that Miley Cyrus stole Fargo's look ;)

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Awww..poor Fargo. I am glad his tongue is alright. I read they have a bone in their tongues and they pretty much use it like a finger. Interesting. LOL

Valentino has started the Fargo stick out the tongue thing also. Just like Fargo he sticks it out to the side for show or to get it right up the nose or in the mouth. He has been doing it a LOT too. I took Valentino on a play date today with my friends that have a BTM and he was sticking out that tongue for them all wiggly sideways like. They were laughing and thought it was cute. Valentino stuck his tongue in the husbands mouth! I was kind of embarrassed but then they DO have a BTM. LOL

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hahahaha really!! That is adorable! :09:

All macaws around the world are going to be poking their tongues out!

Oh definitely, all parrot people know that sooner or later you are going to either get a tongue in the mouth, nose or ear :54:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Instead of giving him wooden blocks, give him some hair rollers, then he can put your hair up in curlers, HAHAHAH. :D

Cracked up laughing at Miley....I mean Fargo's tongue shots. What a lovebug he is!!!

How did the Chem test go?? :54:

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
HAHAHA That is a good idea!! :p Not sure how long the rollers would last before they were completely destroyed though ;)

Chem test is in the morning! It is 8pm now, so at 8am i will be in an exam room getting ready to write! :D Confident with some stuff, others i might be very confused on.. But it is a 40% pass from 6 questions, so as long as i get 2 and a bit questions right, i should be ok!

Going out with some friends who are doing the course after as well, to celebrate it finally being over ;)

Fingers crossed it goes well :)

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Oscar and Female Eclectus- Scarlet
I'm forever pushing Scarlets little toes in her cage as I'm trying to close it, and now I'm extra extra careful, a few months ago, she quickly put her foot back and I got her foot. It was fine, and also screamed though lol.no damage luckly!
Our birds are just crazy lol. Funny Fargo <3

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Eeuuwww! Tab! Please don't post pics of Tab along with Miley Cyrus! Yick!

NB. That girl needs to eat more vegetables! Look at the colour and texture of her tongue! I bet she lives on a fatty diet of Maccas and pizza - she won't fit on that blessed wrecking ball for much longer, IMHO. I'd rather look at Fargo's tongue, which is healthy and shiny and black and gorgeous (because it's attached to such a gorgeous boy).

PS. Maybe it's a silent plea for child protective services to come and save her from a life of malnourishment? In that case, it's not charitable of me to judge her for forever poking her furry, white tongue out, is it? Maybe I should send her a nice head of broccoli instead???

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Tab are you sure your not standing back with a tounge depressor in your hand telling Fargo to open your beak and say ahhh:D

Most Reactions