There should be a ban on mixing seeds with pellets!

Adamandpet

Oct 19, 2023
Parrots
Parakeet
Every bag of seeds I have purchased have dust and sometimes even some stones! Seeds are protected because seeds are contained in a shell. But pellets just become garbage!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Every bag of seeds I have purchased have dust and sometimes even some stones! Seeds are protected because seeds are contained in a shell. But pellets just become garbage!
In the wild everything a bird eats is prone to getting "dirty" and I presume they have enough sense not to eat the "dirt". I hope our captive birds also have enough sense.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
In the wild everything a bird eats is prone to getting "dirty" and I presume they have enough sense not to eat the "dirt". I hope our captive birds also have enough sense.
I think the issue OP is saying is that the grit mixed in will break up the pellets from rubbing against them. Which isn't an issue with seeds still in the shell because they're protected.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I think the issue OP is saying is that the grit mixed in will break up the pellets from rubbing against them. Which isn't an issue with seeds still in the shell because they're protected.
Then I would put the pellets into a fine kitchen strainer and let the dust fall into the trash. I have never seen debris in the bags of pellets I purchase but they aren't mixed with seeds either.

Buy the seeds separately and mix the seeds you really want with the pellets. Make your own custom blend.

Buy human grade seeds and grains from Whole Foods or another good source like hulled millet from Bird Street Bistro.

Most Reactions