Thinking of getting a new cage

Pengle

Feb 28, 2013
South West part of VA
Parrots
Velvet, 24 yr old CAG who was a fledgling wild caught import when we got her. Sam, 18 yr male U2 we just adopted (mutilator/plucker)
Velvet (CAG) needs a new cage. She has had this same cage for 23 years. It is ugly but large. I am worried that she will not do well changing cages. Right now my plan is to put the new one beside her cage and let her go from cage to cage for a bit, then start moving her toys to the new cage and then her food bowls.

Any ideas of how to make the transition easier on her?

Thanks!
Nina

LoryLover

Jan 1, 2013
Southern California
Parrots
Chattering Lory, 18yrs old (Sweet Pea)
Your idea sounds perfect to me. And when Velvet seems comfortable in her new cage, maybe keep the old one in the garage for a while, so you still have it, just in case ...

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
That sounds like a good idea, although let me suggest something...

When you get a new cage, set the new cage up in the same room that Velvet is in. Describe to her what you are doing and why. Once the cage is set up, move it next to her cage and take a few things out of her old cage and place them in the new one. A couple of perches, one or two toys... Make sure that the new cage also has food and water in it for her to eat. Favorite treats as well.

If she takes to it immediately, great! If not, you may need to wean her off the old cage, which could take several weeks, if not months.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Your idea sounds great. Definitely set up the cage in the same room, it will make your Velvet curious rather than phobic if you raised her well.

Also, if your bird is willing to let them sit on top of the cage and check it out before it's finished but still stable Rosie loved it. She sat on it while I put on the sides and I only moved her when I had to put the two top pieces on.

561495_2416633792305_842477758_n.jpg

OP
P

Pengle

Feb 28, 2013
South West part of VA
Parrots
Velvet, 24 yr old CAG who was a fledgling wild caught import when we got her. Sam, 18 yr male U2 we just adopted (mutilator/plucker)
Thanks for the suggestions......they all make sense! I'll keep everyone posted on our progress. :) Pengle

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Codie took to his new cage straight away! While we were buiding it, he was trying to clamber around in it:) Once it was complete with all the Toys and perches in place, he climbed in himself and started to play:)

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
sounds good! i would keep the old cage in a basement or garage incase the new one is broken or velvet doesnt like it for some reason. other wise sounds good!

Most Reactions

Latest posts