Thoughts on a new addition?

brittish

Mar 24, 2012
Fayetteville, NC
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I have a green cheek conure. He will be 1 year old in January, and he is my first parrot. I have owned him since March, and I love the little guy dearly. I am looking into a new addition, and would love to hear your opinions on what species to get. I love the cuddly nature of the GCC, and enjoy that he isn't too noisy. I am taking online classes right now for veterinarian, so I am home all day. My conure spends the majority of the day out of the cage with me so I have endless amounts of time to devote. I would love a bird with a better talking ability, but that isn't too important. I live with my boyfriend, but he works all day and doesn't spend much time home. My GCC is pretty jealous of him when he does come home, and likes to pester him and make sure he is noticed(no biting or aggression, just will stand behind him on the couch until he goes to bed lol) I'd like a bird that isn't aggressive towards others.

I have spent a lot of time doing research, and I have a few in mind but my biggest concern is the safety of my conure. Thanks for the time
:)

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I do not have an answer for you but I have three parrots plus my canary and they each have their own cage . I am66 and I do a lot of what ifs in my head. the couple of times that sweetie pie got close to tiki on top of the cages and once on my shoulder there was some aggresive beaking so I play it safe and do one bird at a time for now .eventually I will try them again in a neutral area. My conure is smaller than the other 2 but I have only had her for about a month or so . I have read that conures as a species get along with other conures . no idea if it is true or not. however there are a lot of multiple bird owners who moght have some suggestions for you:D

OP
brittish

brittish

Mar 24, 2012
Fayetteville, NC
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I would love an African Grey. My other considerations are Eclectus, Meyers, Mealy Amazon, or a Senegal. I'm currently making a pro and con list for each species. I'm aware Meyers are independent birds, and I have heard a lot of horror stories with Senegals. A Senegal was actually the bird I was leaning towards prior to getting my conure, but After meeting a few Senegals, I was not impressed with the behavior in the ones I visited.

beekersmom

Aug 16, 2012
Media
Largo Florida
Parrots
two 'tiels both boys, Punkie 4 and Rocky, 3. A one year old green cheek, male named Beeker (rules the house lol), A Senegal about 9 months named Baby, sex undetermined, and a male blue fronted Amazon
I currently have a gcc, Beeker who is 1, a cgcc, Gizmo who is around 10 months, a Senegal, Baby who is close to 1, two 'tiels, Punkie who is 4 and Rocky who is 3, and a 45 year old blue fronted amazon. overall, the conures get along with the tiels on the same playstand, but have to keep the senegal seperated. Currently they are ok together but once the senegal is mature (at 8 years) he would most likely kill the other smaller birds, so my advice is if you plan on having both birds out together research on compatibility. African birds should be ok with other African species, Austrailian birds with other species from Australia, ect. but that is not always the case.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Have you thought about a BH Pionus? I have heard they are quieter than other species and more laid back! They are also beautiful Birds:)

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
I currently have a gcc, Beeker who is 1, a cgcc, Gizmo who is around 10 months, a Senegal, Baby who is close to 1, two 'tiels, Punkie who is 4 and Rocky who is 3, and a 45 year old blue fronted amazon. overall, the conures get along with the tiels on the same playstand, but have to keep the senegal seperated. Currently they are ok together but once the senegal is mature (at 8 years) he would most likely kill the other smaller birds, so my advice is if you plan on having both birds out together research on compatibility. African birds should be ok with other African species, Austrailian birds with other species from Australia, ect. but that is not always the case.

Wow, i thought i was the only one who thought that way! Thats what i did with mine and they get along great. They are loose all day together with no prob.

When you go to get your next one, just try to find one with a personality that you think would mix well with your current bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts