Throwing a new bird into the mix?

TheNotBirdGirl

Aug 18, 2019
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Molly, my caique who loves me and my grey.

Bird, my african grey who loves Molly and detests women.
Hi all!

So I was offered a white ringneck, cage and all as the owner is never home and they find it unfair. Now I have my birds in my room with me and they are my Caique and African grey. If I got another I would make space in my room as I am always there because its sorta my study area and all.

My african and caique get along very well, so I am concerned about a third bird into the mix. I never have handled or known a ringneck so I am unsure about it getting along with my others.

I do not have my birds come out together. They both get a chance but never together. My grey and caique clean and feed each other threw their cages.

Anyone with a ringneck thrown into the mix with these type of parrots?

My caique loves me but my grey is temperamental, prefers men, and I was lucky the two liked each other but will a third bird cause fights or start issues among the two as well?

Thanks in advance for any advice or replies :)
Also I was not to sure if I put this in the right place so sorry if this should have been breed specific.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed.

SiverSage is one of our Ringneck experts, I expect she will chime in shortly. Two things to keep in mind:

a) It is always a crap shoot if a new bird will interface well with existing parrots, no matter what the species might be. Parrots are that much of an individual mind. He may like everyone, like only you, like only one parrot, and you existing birds may go thru the same, even to the point of deciding the new guy is soo much better than you!

b) Ringnecks that are not hand tame and are over say 1 year old (and maybe less ) will be very hard to tame, even if they are an only parrot. They might soak up existing free time now devoted to your Caique and Grey. Also Caiques are not known for accepting new parrots with open arms, either.

Good on you for keeping your current flock in mind and asking opinion and help!

Most Reactions