Timneh ate a mouthful of salt creep

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
She ate it off of my fish tank. She had never taken an interest in them before. I was looking through a drawer in the kitchen and I came back to find her on top of the fish tank. Now she’s tried to go back on top of it three times. My main concern is she going to be alright? Is this an emergency situation? She had flown off my shoulder and into the living room. So it wasn’t too long of a time a few minutes so I don’t think she got more than a mouthful but she wouldn’t give up what she had gotten. Pretty worried and bummed out.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sorry to hear this, a situation totally new to me. Had to Google "salt creep," seems it is pure salt crystals leached from the water. Hard to know how much Timneh actually ingested, but I'd call her vet to inquire whether a visit is needed. Salt is not good for birds, but as with most substances, the amount is important. For now, I'd make sure she has access to plenty of water and monitor her droppings for abnormalities.

Check out this salt-ingestion link from the Merck Veterinary Manual. Discusses "poultry" in the second paragraph titled "Etiology."
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/toxicology/salt-toxicity/overview-of-salt-toxicity

Hope Timneh has no signs of trouble, please keep us updated!

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Salt not good ... but it should flush out. If there are microorganisms in the water, not good. But mostly I hear that parrots sometimes fall into things and drown. Not just fish tanks, even a glass with a little water in it (for a small bird). They lean over and lose their balance, and it's very hard to scrabble out.

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Timneh has been acting normal and her ventings have seemed normal. She ate normally last night and today. Thank you so much for your help guys. It was a bit worrisome, I meant to call my vet this afternoon and forget after my car broke down. Might still call tomorrow to just hear what he says.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
With good luck, it is possible that the amount she eat was less then what you believe. Here's hoping!

Thinking of you and all of our many upper East Coast friends as that Storm comes in. Plus, looks like another cold snap that is stream over us located in the Upper Great Lakes will follow it out to Sea!!

Bomb Cyclone!?! What the heck is that? Clearly, Words No Longer Have Meanings. Serious lack of education showing!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanks for the update, glad Timneh seems normal!

Stay warm and safe, the cold is brutal!

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
I forgot to update I called and asked my vet about the salt and he said to just make sure shes getting plenty of water make sure her droppings are normal. Biggest worry is dehydration.

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Thank you we love you guys!!! This cold though my back door is frozen up. My car door is frozen up. Snowblower got frozen or jammed not sure which then I broke three shear pins on a huge junk of ice I must have peeled off the driveway. Hopefully things get warmer soon. 18 degrees felt like spring the other day. Hope everyone stays warm and safe!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts