Transporting birds in unpressurized aircraft?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Or maybe it's just tradition based on some antiquated standard set by the USAF in the 1950s (there are a lot of those). Remember, it's easier for A/C to be certified based on existing data than to demonstrate new technology to the FAA's satisfaction.

It's about awareness, recognition, and decision-making. I think it's grand that they don't make us buy O2 for flights above 5000 ft. But they teach it so we are duly warned to take that into account.

I've personally noted some mild effects on a long flight (3.5 hrs) at 11,500 and on a shorter segment at 12,500 (<30 mins, of course!). Just enough to make the literature real for me.

YEAH. It's the 50's standards... uuummm... technology has improved since then people.

Remember what it took to get a composite certified in the beginning?! That's why they could only be sold as "kit planes" for several decades. And it's one of two reasons why GA aircraft have become so needlessly expensive. (Insurance costs being the other one.)

Yeah. It's possible for someone to get hypoxia symptoms at 5,000, therefore, that's set as the cutoff. For most people, it just isn't.

I'm actually not up there for long enough to become hypoxic. Climb out to 15,000 takes about 15 minutes.

Then the door opens.

Then you go.

30 seconds to a minute later (depending on your freefall attitude head down, is more like 30. Belly flying you get about a minute.) you're down to 4,000 to 5,000 feet. I actually tend to open a little high (4,000 ft.) just to give myself a little extra time in case I have a malfunction.

Besides, I can "flat spin" my canopy to lose altitude, which is always pretty fun.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
OK, back to birds.

So how did the jumper get the Hawk or Falcon out of the plane at jump height? This may push this thread to the Free Flight Section.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
OK, back to birds.

So how did the jumper get the Hawk or Falcon out of the plane at jump height? This may push this thread to the Free Flight Section.

The hawk has the mask over his head on the plane and is tethered to the glove.

They take the mask off, open the door, and take off the tether.

The bird flies out the door on his own.

His bonded person then goes out the door, with the bird's training object, and the bird then follows his owner.

One of the more amazing videos I've seen... they took the little target ball, and attached it to the guy's pilot chute. When the bird grabbed the target ball, THE BIRD opened the guy's parachute!

How is THAT for games you can play with your bird?!

No, human-bird bonding/trust required for any of this stuff, eh?!

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
So, the Reader's Digest version is to keep it under 10,000' - correct?

We're planning a trip at the end of June and would like to take Dexter along, if it's safe. Our trip should have a flight time of just over 2 hours. We've placed the vacation cage he'll be staying in for the week in the plane (with the other passengers in place) and it fits nicely and can be secured so it won't move around. Should we do a test flight with him first to see how he tolerates it?

I was all for this idea at first, but now that it's coming closer, I'm nervous for some reason.

flyingron

Jan 3, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Parrots
Bacca (Quaker)
Bacca (quaker parrot) flies with me and we regularly hit 7000'. She doesn't ever seem to mind much (she likes it more if she can ride in the right seat so she can see me). She just hangs out in the pak-o-bird and has a great time.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

We're planning a trip at the end of June and would like to take Dexter along, if it's safe. Our trip should have a flight time of just over 2 hours. We've placed the vacation cage he'll be staying in for the week in the plane (with the other passengers in place) and it fits nicely and can be secured so it won't move around. Should we do a test flight with him first to see how he tolerates it?

I was all for this idea at first, but now that it's coming closer, I'm nervous for some reason.

I would think the under 10,000' guidance is safe. Wouldn't hurt to do a test flight first to avoid any last-minute show-stopper.

Are you the pilot, or a passenger on the flight?

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
:green1:

As with anything they usually react better the second time around as been there done that! Therefore more relaxed. Even a very quick trip IMO.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank-you for bring this Thread back around. Enjoyed it then and again now.

Yup, fully agree with the test run. Our DYH Amazon did get up in the King 250 and was a little set back at first. Once the craft lifted, he got big Amazons eyes, a number of eye flashes and a clear Ooooo! Yup, he did the lean forward and a half open wings. Once we leveled off, he was into full entertainment mold for the remained of the flight. Next trip, as soon as he saw the craft he was big and flashing eyes, and once lifted; entertainment central.

FYI: He loves riding in the SUV, I think its all the windows. Can get a little taken back when we pass a big trash dumpster, especially if it bounces around. I get on-time reports of any large birds and aircraft.

Enjoy!

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
I'll be a passenger, my husband is the pilot. I'll ride in the right seat up front and my children will be the rear passengers. Our Bonanza seats 6, so there is room for the two of them and for Dexter's travel cage to be belted into a seat.

I think we'll do a test flight next weekend, just to see how he does and to ease my concerns.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I'll be a passenger, my husband is the pilot. I'll ride in the right seat up front and my children will be the rear passengers. Our Bonanza seats 6, so there is room for the two of them and for Dexter's travel cage to be belted into a seat.

I think we'll do a test flight next weekend, just to see how he does and to ease my concerns.

Hope it goes well and is a success. Let us know, :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Very nice choice of aircraft! Please let us know the test flight went!

Most Reactions