Treats

Davinchi

Mar 11, 2011
Media
Duluth, MN
Parrots
Paco: Yellow Naped Amazon
What are all of your Amazon's favorite treats. Looking to find one for my new YNA instead of peanuts asnd want to get a few suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I never owned an amazon but I prefer fruits with my gcc esp strawberries and apples and oranges. As far as I know just about any parrot.....

Juan_Ri

Feb 2, 2017
Puerto Rico
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazons
What are all of your Amazon's favorite treats. Looking to find one for my new YNA instead of peanuts asnd want to get a few suggestions.

You will need to try different things, I got 4 YNA and each individual likes a different thing. Two of them like mangos, other bananas, got other one that likes baby carrots. Try a lot of different things until you find the right one, best if is a fruit or vegetable... definitely avoid avocados.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Halt on the peanuts!. They are NOT a good snack for birds. Too fatty..hard to digest..and can have mold spores that will infect your bird.
True nuts.. like walnut (fatty but have omega6) Pine nuts...fatty also but fine in moderation.. and of course pecans.. same as the pine nut.
Slice a sweet tater and nuke it bout 20 seconds till it softens just a bit.. great source of beta keratin (vitamin a) and nuking makes it taste sweeter. Of course apple slices.. kiwi fruit..(vitamin c).. Lots of good options instead of peanuts. I also give Harrisons Power Treats.... real good for them and just a dab sweet. My birds love them

OP
Davinchi

Davinchi

Mar 11, 2011
Media
Duluth, MN
Parrots
Paco: Yellow Naped Amazon
Halt on the peanuts!. They are NOT a good snack for birds. Too fatty..hard to digest..and can have mold spores that will infect your bird.
True nuts.. like walnut (fatty but have omega6) Pine nuts...fatty also but fine in moderation.. and of course pecans.. same as the pine nut.
Slice a sweet tater and nuke it bout 20 seconds till it softens just a bit.. great source of beta keratin (vitamin a) and nuking makes it taste sweeter. Of course apple slices.. kiwi fruit..(vitamin c).. Lots of good options instead of peanuts. I also give Harrisons Power Treats.... real good for them and just a dab sweet. My birds love them
That is what I am trying to do. The previous owners got him on peanuts. Said he wouldn't eat a lot of veggies and stuff.

CKP

Feb 16, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Maverick - BFA (hatchdate: 05/04/2016)
Mav loves dried fruits. We buy dried pineapple, mango, papaya, etc. from Whole Foods (just make sure there's no added sugar or other bad human stuff) and chop it up small.

He wasn't very consistent with taking treats from us initially, but once we formed a little trust bond he was easier to please and start expanding the foods he likes. Now the dried stuff is for training treats since he can eat them pretty quickly and we give him other treats for hanging out (veggies, walnuts in the shell for him to evacuate, things that take a little longer to finish off)

Now, he asks himself to do things, tells himself he is a good bird or that he did a good job, then offers himself a treat. Funny how he thinks that is supposed to work... "Maverick... come here, come here and step up! Good biiiiiiird, wanna papaya???"

Last edited:

Most Reactions