Tries to steal my food

ConureLady

Oct 15, 2012
My 8 year old rescue green cheek conure constantly climbs down me anytime i touch a dish, bottle, or food.. it was cute for a while, until he started forcefully trying to take things from me.
Is there any way to stop this behavior without removing him from my shoulder? Its really hard to get him off of me, I wear zip up jackets so i can just take off the coat and put him and the coat in the cage.
or should I just ignore it and let it be cute?
I was shopping for dishes and he kept running down my arm tasting every single cup... lol
and then I took him to an outdoors frozen yogurt shop and he kept forcefully yanking my sleeves when I wouldnt let him have it.
I cant even chew gum!

OP
C

ConureLady

Oct 15, 2012
oh, and if he doesnt get food, he gives up and goes after my fingers! he does this weird intimidation sound and small bite, and then if i dont give in he bites harder

Eloy

Sep 4, 2012
Let him bite, he will stop when he find out that hes not getting things.
I don't thinks it's OK that he steal things he wants. You should decide what he can get or not.
I always learn my parrot that if they are in my shoulder they can't get food from their.

nightinday

Aug 21, 2012
Poland
Parrots
Louis - GCC, hatched 9.05.2012
Louis also tries to steal my food. I just try to ignore him but sometimes he tries to sit on my plate and eat.

Mudkips

May 6, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Birdy the Green Cheek Conure
Do you give him snacks while you're out? They almost need to eat constantly while they're using up energy.
Have you tried giving him little sticks to chew on? It's the birdy equivalent of chewing gum. :)

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
Mango doesnt bite, but he is pretty determined to get our food too. He especially loves coffee, so he goes on his cage with his toys while we are having our coffee. I agree with Eloy, ignore the biting. He has learned that this is a way to get what he wants, and that is certainly not cute. The vet told us not to allow Mango to eat from our dishes, but to give him is own and put his own food into it. Mango has a big heavy ceramic dish that he can perch on, and he is slowly learning that he has to eat from there if he wants our food. That said he is really naughty and will try to steal our food if he is with us. I would suggest giving your bird his own dish, and when he comes to take your food put him on his own dish and let him see you put your food into it. If you are really consistent he might stop going for your food. On the plus side, since Mango is so determined to eat our food, we have been able to trick him into liking his veggies. He hated them to start, but as soon as he thought we were eating them and he was getting something special he decided he loves them. We did this to get him to like his Harrisons pellets too. If I pretend to eat it, he immediately wants it.

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
Mango doesnt bite, but he is pretty determined to get our food too. He especially loves coffee, so he goes on his cage with his toys while we are having our coffee. I agree with Eloy, ignore the biting. He has learned that this is a way to get what he wants, and that is certainly not cute. The vet told us not to allow Mango to eat from our dishes, but to give him is own and put his own food into it. Mango has a big heavy ceramic dish that he can perch on, and he is slowly learning that he has to eat from there if he wants our food. That said he is really naughty and will try to steal our food if he is with us. I would suggest giving your bird his own dish, and when he comes to take your food put him on his own dish and let him see you put your food into it. If you are really consistent he might stop going for your food. On the plus side, since Mango is so determined to eat our food, we have been able to trick him into liking his veggies. He hated them to start, but as soon as he thought we were eating them and he was getting something special he decided he loves them. We did this to get him to like his Harrisons pellets too. If I pretend to eat it, he immediately wants it.

What MeganMango said. :) Additionally, do not respond when he bites because he will know that he is accomplishing something. Just roll your finger out of the beak and say NO or STOP and place him back on your shoulder or better yet on a perch.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I got Puck his own dishes for a similar reason. I didn't care if he ate off my plate, but my boyfriend did; I got him sauce dishes which were like plates for him, and some heavier dishes he could perch on. He did pretty well with that.

If your bird is getting possessive of food, maybe you could try putting him down when you are eating (at least when convenient).

Try getting food grade popsicle sticks.

Is he possessive of your shoulder? If he gives you trouble when you try to remove him, I would avoid letting him go there very much, and if he gives you attitude take him off then don't let him on for a while. Also, only let him up there when YOU put him on your shoulder; don't let him climb up there himself. It helps to show who is boss.

Most Reactions

Latest posts