Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so happy for you, Tucker is beautiful! He really is smart and must be feeling at home already! This really made my day.
Thanks Terry. Always happy to make someone's day. Bringing him home was a good thing. My wife and daughter are excited to have a bird in the house that allows them to handle, pet, and snuggle! He makes me happy, although I catch myself calling him Patches more than I would like to admit. I miss my little boy. I hope he's happy knowing I took in another beautiful green boy in need.

I have no doubt that Patches is looking on with delight. You have honored him & his memory by bringing Tucker into your home, and I think there is no greater tribute than giving another boy in need a place to call home. I'm truly looking forward to watching this new journey.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome home, Tucker you gorgeous boy!

Awww, Tucker is just beautiful and it looks like he's planning to skip the adjustment stage altogether, he looks right at home already. I'm so happy for all of you.

I know Patches would approve.

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Welcome home, Tucker you gorgeous boy!

Awww, Tucker is just beautiful and it looks like he's planning to skip the adjustment stage altogether, he looks right at home already. I'm so happy for all of you.

I know Patches would approve.
Thank you! I think I found where his comfort zone is for now. He was being a little standoffish yesterday, so I backed off a bit. This morning he was back to being much more outgoing. Stepped right up and shoulder surfed around the kitchen with me while I got his breakfast ready. Snuggled up against my neck and peeked around for lots of beaky kisses.

He's been VERY vocal when it's quiet in the house, lots of talking and sound effects but I haven't heard a whistle yet. I'm thinking his previous owners either didn't know how, or never did it around him. We'll fix that in short order. When I whistle to him, he gets excited and usually runs up to me and stares like he's studying me. He's also been super destructive with his toys, chewing and shredding a lot. I love it! The way I see it now, every toy that's chewed is a feather that's not. Go Tucker!

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
So happy to see this thread! Sorry I missed it, before! Tucker is beautiful! And I love how he seems to be settling in so quickly into his new home. He's a lucky bird.

And I know Patches is quite pleased with your choice of bird. It's probably his whispered assurances that have Tucker adjusting so happily!

Congratulations!

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Someone's getting to be a snuggly guy :-D

Only a week and a day and he's starting to ask to be with me rather than in/on the cage. He goes to everyone in the house, but has his visit time then wants to come right back to me. Happy dad!
efffc385e89ba555f22d66407701d31f.jpg
a14db164a9f6a99ab41f09c97072535b.jpg
512509aa0f8942c2d69de842d23e99d2.jpg
be3f975847668294494a6a386cbec165.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh yair, no doubt about who owns whom here!❤️

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Oh yair, no doubt about who owns whom here![emoji3590]
Yup, he's got me wrapped already lol!
He's a little more forceful about demanding attention than Patches was. When he's looking for beaky kisses, he reaches around and grabs the lips. (or nose) He's very gentle about it, but can get really determined. I love it, even though it does have the potential to go badly if he wasn't so gentle! Here's to hoping I don't join the pierced lip/nose/cheek crowd by way of that beautiful pointy beak!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Gosh he looks like he’s settling in well! And he is a cute dude :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

Only a week and a day and he's starting to ask to be with me rather than in/on the cage. He goes to everyone in the house, but has his visit time then wants to come right back to me. Happy dad!

Just so beautiful! So happy you took the plunge!!

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Thanks Laura. I did have a brief period of second guessing myself about being ready for him, but it was really brief. I knew pretty quickly that I needed him as much as he needed me. It just felt right. Thanks to friends here for the support to help me figure things out. So glad I have him home! He's such a good boy.

Last edited:

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Aww, Tucker is too cute!! I'm on an overseas work trip now, so you guys are making me miss my little green chicken. It's so obvious he absolutely adores you :)

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Very glad you found each other! :)

That is why I suck at math/physics etc.:

you take two beings with a huge hole in their lives -> add those beings together and voila! 2 superfullfilled happy beings.
This makes totall sense (to me anyway)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Love when a Parrot chooses! They have this stuff all figured out and know how to seal the deal with a twist of their head on our cheek! Very happy for you my friend! Very Happy Indeed!

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Very glad you found each other! :)

That is why I suck at math/physics etc.:

you take two beings with a huge hole in their lives -> add those beings together and voila! 2 superfullfilled happy beings.
This makes totall sense (to me anyway)
Christa, you've got skills! Don't downplay your math. As a former physics major back in the college days, I totally believe in logic based math. If it makes sense, it's usually right. (At least on some important level)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

Oh, these pics here have me grinning ear to ear! Love it!!! It's wonderful how swiftly he's binding with you! Beautiful.

Yup, he's got me wrapped already lol!
He's a little more forceful about demanding attention than Patches was. When he's looking for beaky kisses, he reaches around and grabs the lips. (or nose) He's very gentle about it, but can get really determined. I love it, even though it does have the potential to go badly if he wasn't so gentle! Here's to hoping I don't join the pierced lip/nose/cheek crowd by way of that beautiful pointy beak!

Piece of advice? Personally I wouldn't allow the grabbing of the lip. Sure, he's gentle now. But you want to plan ahead for a day that he might be feeing a little hormonal. Or a day where he gets startled mid-nibble. Just one of those things to keep in mind.

And it doesn't even require a hard course-correction. With Maya, I simply pursed my lips so she couldn't find purchase, and then gently held the point of her upper beak with my fingers and kissed her at the mid to upper beak. After a few times, she started to aim the middle of her beak toward my lips for a kiss rather than opening her beak for one. And even when she does open her beak, it's with her head slightly bowed so it's clear she's not trying to grab.

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Yes, I totally agree with the lip grabbing issue. Thank you! It's kind of the way he tries to give kisses right now, so I'm definitely working on it. I've been taking the approach you suggested to discourage the grabbing. He's getting the idea, but realistically, it's only been a week, so his progress is pretty amazing so far. Don't want to discourage the kisses, just the way he does them sometimes. I'm very cautious of the lips, nose, ears, fingers, or anything else he could injure with that pretty beak. He's pretty trustworthy, but none of them are 100% under all conditions.

New minor development last night. Sitting on the couch, he climbed up the back and started preening my hair. (Not that there's much there lol) I wasn't sure what to make of it since I've never had one that did that. It was cute! I'm feeling the love, as long as it's not, you know, the hormone kind of LOVE...

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
A pair of handsome fellows. Do you get told that you look like one of the Manning brothers? Tucker not so much, but maybe I can see it in the forehead...

OP
saxguy64

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
A pair of handsome fellows. Do you get told that you look like one of the Manning brothers? Tucker not so much, but maybe I can see it in the forehead...
Thanks Gail :) Peyton wishes he looked this good, hahahaha! Seriously though, one can see lots of things in MY forehead... like their reflection, glare from the sun, etc. lol.

Most Reactions