UGHHHH I dont know :(

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
My cousins mom got her mom a cockatiel from a pet store. Neither of them knew ANYTHING about these birds and know she wants to get rid of it. I have been offered like, 3 cockatiels in the past 6 months but this one is different. She really really doesnt want her cockatiel anymore and im afraid it might go to a worse home. I dont know what to do though....if I get a tiel then I cant get my conure. Also the tiel isnt tame so I dont know if it would ever be a good pet. What should I do??

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
My cousins mom got her mom a cockatiel from a pet store. Neither of them knew ANYTHING about these birds and know she wants to get rid of it. I have been offered like, 3 cockatiels in the past 6 months but this one is different. She really really doesnt want her cockatiel anymore and im afraid it might go to a worse home. I dont know what to do though....if I get a tiel then I cant get my conure. Also the tiel isnt tame so I dont know if it would ever be a good pet. What should I do??

Why couldn't you have both? Tiels arn't all that demanding really (compared to other parrots etc). Maybe take the Tiel on and then YOU try and find it a really good home before you get your GCC in sept?

Thats what I did with a cockatoo I acquired, only took him on to get him to a great home then got my sennie after. :)

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Well, I LOVE tiels...and we also have a conure (Franklin)...but we also have 2 tiels and the last tiel we bought the end of march, our "Chicken Little" he was take a chunk out of your finger and leave you bleeding wild. We've had him 4 months and he's the nicest guy! Within 3 days, he'd sit on our finger and within 4 weeks he didn't have to be toweled in or out of his cage.

Within 3 weeks of getting him he started talking and he's absolutely the best bird to take out of the cage...he sees me open the door and he hops right down and onto my finger. Our conure always gives me a "testing" grab...but Chicken just hops on my finger. And CUUUTTEE! Oh he's so darling!

And when I say talking...he's saying "Pretty pretty pretty pretty birdieee/bird" He say's his name... "Chicken Little...Him a good boy?" He says "Hello, What'cha Doin?" and he's learning more and more all the time. I put a couple short video clips on youtube...just search Nakiska71 to find them

He LOVES to ride on my shoulder everywhere, loves his "tiel walkabout" time for treats and snacks. He loves to watch youtube videos of other cockatiels talking and playing...He's just an awesome bird.

There's pictures of him in my profile albums. Just click on my name. :D

I have great things to say about both species..tiels and conures. I'd say if the tiel is young, I'd consider it...do you know if it's male or female? Females are very very very quiet birds and I've never seen or heard one learn to talk...but both male tiel's I've owned have both had very extensive vocabularies.

Conures...although they do learn to talk...are often harder to understand, they have very gruff, rough, gravelly voices.

The downside to tiels are that they are a powder down bird and are rather dusty...where conures aren't...but that doesn't make conures cleaner...mine is a definite pig! LOL

The choice is yours...but if it were me...I'd consider the tiel. They do make nice pets. However, if your heart is so definitely set on a conure...then you may want to hold out for one...because if you regret getting the tiel after the fact, you could hold a grudge against it which would ultimately affect your relationship.

Good luck,

Toni

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Mayden has a great idea too...plus taking on the tiel and hand taming it and just being around it every day would give you a very good idea of what it's going to be like to have a bird. And she's right, tiel's aren't at all demanding. At least mine aren't. You never know...you just might fall in love with it ;)

If I remember right, you are rather young? So you have your whole life infront of you to get a conure in the future, should you fall in love with the tiel and have to wait a few years to get a conure.

Or like mayden said...if you want a conure THAT bad, you could find a home for the tiel that you've hopefully tamed down by then. :)

Toni

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Combine your heard and brain in the desicion the you will find whats right for you

OP
Atwee921

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
Well...I do want a conure that bad.
But the problem is, I haven't met the tiel. If I got it they would bring it up with them (they live 7 hours from me).
So I guess the only way I would buy it is if I met it first...

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Well...I do want a conure that bad.
But the problem is, I haven't met the tiel. If I got it they would bring it up with them (they live 7 hours from me).
So I guess the only way I would buy it is if I met it first...

Had to make the same choice when I got my cockatoo, however I did get to meet him first, he was aggressive and terrified all the time, but I took him on anyway and he made fantastic progress in the 2 weeks he spent with us (before being permanently rehomed with a fantastic person!) I had to put my sennie on hold until I had my own place or whatever because I had the 'too instead. I'm not really a 'cockatoo' person but I sure balled my eyes out when it came to hand over time despite me 'wanting' to get rid of him. Who knows, could be the same for you?

In /my/ opinion, I would get the tiel, see how you are with it and just actively search for a better home, I imagine a lot of people would have room for it, especially if you get him/her to be hand tame and if not, what's one more tiel in those big aviaries people have? :)

Conures ARE fantastic birds, but whats a few more months/years. I know you probably arn't paying attention to this, I know I was completely blinded when I was 'pining' to get a sennie so I do understand how horrid it'd be to wait for your conure a bit longer... but in the meanwhile... you might have a fantastic little cockatiel? Plus I don't understand why you couldn't have them both :)

Could you explain why not? :)

Amps

Apr 30, 2011
Bardstown, Kentucky ( bourbon capital of the world
Parrots
Lily (Lillian) a spoiled cockatiel
Haha I had the same problem with the mom thing. Basically, don't get something you don't want instead of the conure. I wanted a conure, but got lily a cockatiel... I love her to death, but I still find myself looking on craigslist for a conure. If you worry about it's new home, know that there are many serious people around who will give it a good home. I had to go through so much to get lily just because everyone demanded experience, but I was still able to give her a great home, and I know many other people can too. If you don't want a cockatiel, know that if you get this one you could be stuck with her for years, and not be able to have something you really want.

Most Reactions