unusual excreta found

ImpHaws

May 25, 2018
Hi everyone,

Found the excreta in unusual color of my:blue2:.
The shape is also not that familiar and the excretion becomes more and more than before significantly.

thank you for check it out and massive thanks if someone can tell me what is going on with him:blue2:

148829338688163533_zps8ky4lx48.jpg
135752266590992274_zpsakoircjz.jpg

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
First, Welcome to Parrot Forums.

Well, that is a bit different in both the amount of liquid and the solid mass. The color of the mass can change (The Stool Component), but commonly will have at least some green as part of it. There should always be a white segment. What have your bird been eating over the last 24 and 48 hours? Drinking more water and/or eating fruits and wet veggies than normal and eating only natural pellets may contribute to this combination.

In the Amazon Forum, at the top of the page are the Sticky Threads. Open the Thread: I Love Amazons - ... and read down the list of articles to find the one that speaks to understanding Bird Poop! I will get that title and insert it shortly. Segment: #11 A Parrot's Droppings Page: 5

The lack of a white segment in addition to the high liquid and the washed-out color of the mass is concerning!

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
The extra liquid is most-likely due to your bird eating a food that contains a high amount of water, such as fresh fruit, fresh veggies, etc. However, the lack of urate (white part), the overall cream color throughout, and most of all the consistency of the feces is concerning to me as well...

How long have his droppings looked like this? Has his diet changed drastically since about the time his droppings started looking like this?

Is your bird acting or behaving differently than normal in any way? Is he lethargic, sleeping more than usual, not playing as much as he usually does? Is he fluffing himself up more than usual? Has he been staying at the bottom of his cage recently? Any falling off of his perches or acting disoriented? Any vomiting?

If his diet wasn't changed recently, around the same time that his droppings changed, then it's quite possible that he has some kind of infection throughout his Gastrointestinal Tract, either Bacterial, Fungal, or both...Do you have access to an Avian Veterinarian? The ONLY WAY to properly diagnose whether or not he has an infection, and more importantly what type of infection he has, is to have a Veterinarian take a Fecal Culture and test it for unusual and/or high amounts of Bacteria and/or Fungi.

Just a point to you that is extremely important, and since I don't know where you live I know you may have access to easy to get/buy medications, you cannot just assume he has a Bacterial infection and give him an Antibiotic that you can go and buy in a store, because if he actually has a Fungal infection, which is extremely common in parrots, and you give him an Antibiotic (which is ONLY given for Bacterial infections), the Antibiotic will actually make the Fungal infection much, much worse, because Antibiotics kill-off any and all of the normal, healthy Bacteria throughout their GI Tracts, and these normal, healthy Bacteria are what normally keep all Fungi in-check, mainly yeast. So if he already has a Fungal infection and you mistakenly give him an Antibiotic that is for killing-off Bacteria, this will only serve to feed the already-existing Fungal infection and make it grow, spread, and become much worse. So before you give him any kind of medication you must get him to an Avian Vet for a Fecal Culture to diagnose what type of bug is causing the infection, and what specific medication will be effective against that specific bug...

Hopefully his diet has simply been changed and he's acting completely normally, and this will normalize within the next 24-36 hours...If not, then you must find an Avian Vet as soon as possible...

OP
I

ImpHaws

May 25, 2018
thank you for replying sir. I just been told by my parents this kind of poop has lasted for over two years. I'm an international student and my parents took care of it. just went back to home and found this problem. The bird has no abnormal behavior at all. the only thing makes me concern is just this weird poop.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Well if it's lasted for 2 years and there's been no abnormal behavior or other signs or symptoms of illness, then this is simply due to something he's being fed every day, or close to every day...If your parents have been taking care of the bird for those 2 years, you need to ask them exactly what they've been feeding him, everything, from pellets to seeds to veggies, fruits, nuts, etc. and see what is different from when you left...

This isn't necessarily an issue either, as I said the extra liquid is just a sign that he's well-hydrated and is taking-in a lot of fluid, probably from a lot of fresh fruit, or hopefully rather fresh veggies, as fresh fruit should only be an occasional treat, maybe once or twice a week, as it contains a ton of sugar...

Most Reactions