Uri?

mcw009

Apr 21, 2011
VA
Parrots
Icarus the Moustached Parakeet, Smudge, Pudge (RIP), and Floki the Budgies
I have a moustached parakeet that I'm worried has a URI. I was hoping for some advice from more experienced parrot owners.

He's sneezed pretty hard and a couple times there's been a fair amount of clear fluid. I never noticed him do this before (had him since March), but he's done it at least 3 times in the past week. I think he's sneezing a little more than usual too (at least once a day, probably no more than 3 times). His poop started being kind of malformed and diarrhea-y yesterday, and he's been napping a lot during the day.

His nostrils look clean (no crusty build-up or anything), his eyes are clear, his vent is clean, he's preening normally and perching with one foot held up a lot, he's got his normal appetite, so I'm not freaking out yet. I got some Ornacycline and put that in his water starting yesterday.

At what point should I take him to a vet if this doesn't improve or get worse (duh if it gets worse, I know)? Should I keep him on the Ornacycline or does that seem like a bad idea from the start?

I also have 2 budgies that live in a cage about 3' feet away, and they seem fine. Should I keep them more separate for the time being?

Thanks for any input!!

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
No one can offer trustworthy medical advice over the internet. If you think he may be sick take him to the vet.

I would say please *do not* try to medicate your bird yourself, particularly with antibiotics. They should really be categorized as a controlled substance for prescription only.

If not used in the proper doses and for the proper duration you can just make any infection worse by breeding resistant strains and it will be harder (or worse, impossible) for a vet to treat it properly.

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

RIP Ricco--Mexican Red Head Amazon
I would take him to the vet. It could just be an allergy. When I took my bird to the vet, my bird's nostril was a little red, but she hasn't had any mucus... And my vet said that she could give my bird benadryl, if needed. Good luck!

Abbiebaby

Sep 5, 2011
TX
Parrots
Cluck - Timneh African Grey.

Just Deceased - Abbie - Green Cheek Conure
I agree with the other posters - anytime a bird has symptomology, err on the side of caution and take it to a Vet you trust.

Most Reactions

Latest posts