Valentino's tongue

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Last night I was almost in a panic. You would think after as many years (over 20) that I have parrots in my life I would not of felt that sinking almost panic of wondering "is this normal? is this alright?".

I posted under "general health care" about a question regarding Valentino's tongue turning white.

I noticed while I was handing feeding him formula the tip was as white as the background of this page. REALLY WHITE. Noticeably white. I worked open his beak and not only was the tip white but a line going back to that open part was just as white. I have never seen a parrot's tongue turn white. Ever. But then I never had a Red Fronted Macaw either.

After I put Valentino to bed I realized I should of taken a picture of that freaky tongue. Instead I spent until almost 3am worrying about it and trying to research about RFM tongues. There is NO information or pictures out there on RFM tongues. I even went to those "free" vet sites where you put a question in, request a avian vet and post but they wanted 30 dollars to answer my question "Is it normal for a Red Fronted macaw's tongue to turn white?" Needless so say I didn't have a CC to put in for the answer.

Finally around 3am I went to check on Valentino. I quietly pull the cover back made sure he recognized it as me and slowly opened the breeder door and inserted my hand to pet him. Slowly I opened his beak to check the tongue and I was very revealed to see that it was the normal bluish grey.

This morning I check it again. Normal bluish grey. Valentino must think I am strange for always shoving my fingers inside his mouth touching and looking at his tongue but he didn't really think much of my strange behavior.

I take him upstairs to take a shower. This body NEEDED his shower. He needed one of those soaked to the skin showers to refresh him and get him clean. After the shower while on the table perch in the bathroom with me I took my hand to wipe some kind of substance of of his beak and when he licked me I noticed. HALF OF HIS TONGUE WAS WHITE!

What on earth is going on here? Does this boy have one of those mood ring type tongues that change color with heat? Does this have something to do with blood flow to the tongue that causes it to turn light or white when really warm? I have no idea why Valentino's tongue turns white.

So I ask of other RFM owners. Do your birds tongues turn light/white when they eat something warm or during a nice warm humid shower?

I am so confused and concerned.

Noblemacaw

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
That is very concerning. I'm not at uni today but when I get a chance I'll look at my avian medicine books and see if there is any literature on it.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
That's odd! When it was half white, was it just one sides, or was it the front half? Does it feel the normal temperature, warm, or cool?

OP
noblemacaw

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Thank you so much Alisana. I really appreciate it. I think I am concerned for nothing but you never know. Valentino is acting normally, eating and drinking just fine. Plays on his Java tree and is a pile of mush during our cuddle times. I love this parrot.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Sounds like a bloodflow issue just from the symptoms.

OP
noblemacaw

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
I have been checking on Valentino's tongue a lot and it seems pretty normal. I was very freaked out about it being white then changing back then parts changing to white. I hand fed him tonight and checked his tongue during and right after and it was...normal. I am going to include a pic of him on Christmas Eve right after our shower there is a good shot of the side of the tongue but not really good on the tip. I think his eyes are starting to change color. Could the tongue be changing color too with growing up?

100_2209_zpsb7f4195c.jpg

Last edited:

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
I also know that oxygenation can play a role in this at least in humans.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Maybe you can ask MaraWentz??? She is the only other RFM owner that i know of on the forum. :)

OP
noblemacaw

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
To be honest I was not willing to pay 30 dollars to get my questioned about Valentino's tongue answered on those free vet internet sites. This was over Christmas eve and day so I didn't want to bother Valentino's breeder nor has any RFM experienced people came out.

At first I was very paranoid that I had burned his tongue during his evening hand feeding which is why I probably was panicking. Poor parrot had to put up with me shoving my fingers into his mouth to brush away the formula to see his tongue. Valentino does like to lick a lot so while he licked my fingers I could examine the tongue better.

I do not think what happened was a blood flow issue because Valentino never presented having a problem with using his tongue. I have physically examined the whole tongue feeling it with my fingers and lightly squeezing it to see if it was painful for him. (I know that was weird but I wanted to make sure). All Valentino did was think I was playing with his tongue so he croaked at me and all I ended up doing was stimulate the feeding response.

I also inadvertently taught Valentino to stick out his tongue when I stick out my tongue out of the side of my mouth. So now I have a parrot who when perched looking at you will waggle his tongue at you to get your attention and will stick it out the side of his beak. I have officially corrupted my baby parrot.

To be honest I would feel a lot better if I can see pictures of Red Fronted Macaw tongues at different ages. No such thing is available on the net. My gut says the tongue is just fine and I am being a worry wart. Have to have some kind of crisis over the holidays right?

My experience with Noble and Illiger's macaw tongues were they started out dark as babies and as they got older the tip got to be a lighter grey. the Eclectus tongue is really weird looking. It is black with flesh color AND yellow on the sides.

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
From what I have read so far, I have yet to find a match it the avian medicine literature that describes what you have experienced.

There are a number of articles about white growths on macaw tongues (indicates disease/infections) however these are permanent and "raised" rather than a tongue changing colour.

Am still looking, will let you know if I find anything else!

OP
noblemacaw

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Thank you so much for looking into the tongue issue though your avian medicine literature. You kindly took the time to look into my issue with Valentino's tongue and I really do thank you.

At this point I think his tongue is fine. I have been watching over it the past few days and I see no more issues with the tongue. I will continue to keep a close eye on it just in case. Valentino will now stick out his tongue for me when asked so I can look at it. I am sure down the line he will probably be sticking out his tongue for people because of this repeated behavior I have been making him do. LOL

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Thank you so much for looking into the tongue issue though your avian medicine literature. You kindly took the time to look into my issue with Valentino's tongue and I really do thank you.

At this point I think his tongue is fine. I have been watching over it the past few days and I see no more issues with the tongue. I will continue to keep a close eye on it just in case. Valentino will now stick out his tongue for me when asked so I can look at it. I am sure down the line he will probably be sticking out his tongue for people because of this repeated behavior I have been making him do. LOL

No probs. :) Sorry I haven't been of more help. Most of the information I am reading with white being on the tongue is generally growths, infections, lesions, etc that will remain there rather than change colour based on temperature.

The other thing I came across, which I think I recall Plax saying about Hyacinths (somewhere) that they can have black and yellow tongues.

Blue and golds can have black and white tongues:
Blue_and_Gold_Macaw.jpg

And the Military Macaw can have black and pink:
Military macaw photo - Ara militaris - G26544 - ARKive

But can't find anything on a Red-Fronted Macaw's tongue though. Both species listed above, will actually have that colour permanently rather than influenced by temperature.

As other members have suggested, it could be temperature related. While not bird related - an example that jumps to mind is when I get cold, my nails will turn purple in colour; almost like they are bruised or if I've slammed them in the door.

The white could be a result of the temperature affecting blood flow - but without an avian opinion I can't say for certain.

I'll keep an eye out - definitely; will just have to wait for the university library to open up after new years. If you are worried though, I would suggest call up an avian vet and run it by them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts