Very sick little budgie

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Still a development! That's good. Hope he feels better tomorrow :)

OP
J

Jean20057

May 24, 2017
So, unfortunately, Peatri is not doing better, worse in fact. I was in the middle of a shift today, and Lonny called me in a panic because Peatri was throwing up. I mean projectile vomiting throwing up. He's just sitting now, as I got a ride home for a long lunch. I'm terrified that the minute o leave to go back to work he's going to start again, or worse. And his vet doesn't open until one, AND the vet that sees him isn't in on the weekends.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
So, unfortunately, Peatri is not doing better, worse in fact. I was in the middle of a shift today, and Lonny called me in a panic because Peatri was throwing up. I mean projectile vomiting throwing up. He's just sitting now, as I got a ride home for a long lunch. I'm terrified that the minute o leave to go back to work he's going to start again, or worse. And his vet doesn't open until one, AND the vet that sees him isn't in on the weekends.

Will there be an avian certified vet today? It would seem whatever is afflicting Peatri is beyond the scope of a general vet with scant knowledge.

OP
J

Jean20057

May 24, 2017
She wasn't in today, no. After the vomit, he went right back to eating. I did manage to speak to his vet, so that's a plus. She had some medicine made up in case he kept it up. Reglan? Anyway he hasn't done it since, thank God! Unfortunately, she is the only vet there for birds. With every move he makes now, we're skittish, and nervous. We put some Lily of the desert in his water dish, and with a bit of coaxing, he took a couple good sips. *sigh I just wish he'd get better.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Poor Peatri :(

You take such good care of him. Vomiting is a symptom of so many illnesses in birds. I'm hoping it's not avian gastric yeast. Was there undigested seeds or pellets in his vomit or stool?

OP
J

Jean20057

May 24, 2017
Ok, a quick update. Peatri is still alive, thank God!

It seems as though the vomiting was an isolated incident, and luckily it hasn't yet happen again. He still hasn't really improved as far as we can tell, but it doesn't seem like he's getting worse now either. I'll try to get some pictures when I have a minute.

We are suspecting he may have some sort of crop infection, explaining the trouble pooping and a few other symptoms. His vet gave him Clavamox for it. Has anyone ever used it for a crop infection? We also have some Nystatin on hand too. Forgot to ask his vet about it too, darn it. Can someone direct me maybe a little with crop infections? This is our first one.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What a little fighter! I have no advice about the medication prescribed, but do hope it helps him and that he recovers soon!

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
That's great news! Thanks for the update, I've been checking this thread everyday.

No experience w/ crop infections or Clavamox. I hope someone who does comes along though.

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
We are suspecting he may have some sort of crop infection, explaining the trouble pooping and a few other symptoms. His vet gave him Clavamox for it. Has anyone ever used it for a crop infection? We also have some Nystatin on hand too. Forgot to ask his vet about it too, darn it. Can someone direct me maybe a little with crop infections? This is our first one.

I did some research, apparently most avian vets don't use Clavamox, it isn't always absorbed into the birds body, it's a hit-or-miss. Nystatin is more commonly used.
I'm not a vet, don't start using Nystatin unless told so by a certified avian vet.

I'd get a second opinion before using any thing on my birds, but that's up to you.

Sent from my Galaxy s8

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Where there is life there is hope! So glad to see Peatri hanging in there.

I'd definitely advise very close coordination with his vet. Meds that individually are therapeutic can have unwanted interactions.

OP
J

Jean20057

May 24, 2017
Hello everyone. Thank you all so very much for your kind words and prayers for my boy.

I had to work today until 3, at which time I rushed home, because Lonny had texted me with an update on Peatri's condition. At 5pm, after several seizures, and an attempt to get him to poop, Peatri died in my hands. I personally believe that he had a heart attack because of me. I tried to soak his bum in some warm water to try to relax his muscles so he could finally go. He fought to get free for just a second, and then everything just stopped. I think I put undue stress on him in my efforts to help him. I tried to wake him up, or get any sign that he was still alive, but there was none. We are absolutely devastated, and broken.

Lacewing

Feb 16, 2017
USA
Parrots
Murphy Jr. English Budgie
So very sorry. Please don't blame yourself. He was a sick little birdie and you tried so hard. Hugs

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I'm so sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
I'm sorry to hear the sad news. Don't blame yourself, you did so much to help him. Rest well, Peatri. You were much loved!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I am so sorry you have lost Peatri. He was a brave bird and you tried so hard to help.

OP
J

Jean20057

May 24, 2017
Hello everyone. Thank you all for your kind words and reassurances. They mean so much during this devastating time. Peatri was so very loved, cherished, and adored. He was very special to us, both in different ways, and for different reasons. Peatri picked out Lonny to go home with the second he saw his future daddy through the glass at Petsmart. He was so eager to please, and always, most of the time, did what he was told while training. He will be forever in our hearts.

Thank you again, all of you, so much for your love and support during this horrible experience. Keep the love flowing, we really need it right now.
Kristen, Lonny, Jewel, and the 6 remaining fids.

Most Reactions