greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Definitely! It could be an infection or gout. Meds would be needed.

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
I agree, we should all take a leaf out of your book and keep money aside in case of these emergencies.....oopss....maybe Im the only one who doesnt do that - guilty as charged! Let us know what the vet says - good luck, Im sure its something small and can be cleared up with soaking and antibiotics. :)

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
I'm wishing you all the best, and that the recovery is speedy. Let us all know how it goes! :)

OP
Ratzy

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
As time is different to yours here I think school hasn't finished and I haven't taken her yet. She is no better today and I don't think it is the perches as I don't have sandpaper perches ( I use natural branches) and the other budgies don't have sore feet. I got a shock when I checked on them. 3 of the baby budgies had 'blood' all over their beaks and facial feathers. Then I remembered that they had strawberries for breakfast. Thank you everyone who posted.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Lol on the strawberries. Please let us know what happens. When I mentioned perches I was thinking of the size more than anything else because I recently had the same problem and vet said I was using the wrong size perches. Yet I do read that we should use a variety of sizes.

OP
Ratzy

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Parrots
It is best to have a variety of perches for budgies. That way they can choose which ones to sit on. Grrrrrrr still not the end of school. Actually it is, but my parents are teachers (dad is my teacher) and they have meetings.

OP
Ratzy

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Parrots
Went to the vets and apparently they have no vet on 'duty' until Monday. Marigold's foot is swollen but it seems to be worse as she cannot move it. Is there anything I can do? Like make a padded perch or a foot brace?

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi there Tatzy, you sure are going through a tough time.
Browsed the net, below is a link pertaining to birds swollen feet.
Don't get a fright when reading it, there could be many different reasons the foot is swollen.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1829&aid=2606at
Let us know what you think it could be.

Don't get a fright when reading it, there could be many different reasons the foot is swollen.

OP
Ratzy

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Parrots
Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. I am researching on the net. Found this.

if the foot is black then the blood has stopped flowing in it which is a bad sign, but luckily for us his foot is it's normal colour, nice and warm but he cannot feel pain and that is apparently because a nerve might of been severed.

So the person we got Paulie off gave us the number for a good vet that he thought would be able to deal with the situation. So we phoned them up and he confirmed what the man thought about the leg being broken, he said it is best to wait a few more day's then if there is no improvement we could bring him in and the foot will be x-rayed. He said that the healing of a broken foot in a budgie can be quite complicated, and he may have to have it amputated depending on the results of the x-ray.

I feel horrible as I've waited this whole time without getting Marigold to the vet. Well, I have, but they didn't do anything. Marigold is feeling pain. I am suringe watering her as she seems to have trouble getting to the water dish. I might try to make a foot brace for her with a tooth pick and sticky tape.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts