Vet recommendation?

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Petrie ~ Green Cheek Conure
Iago! ~ Sun Conure - RIP 11/20/2021
So I was just at the vet and while talking, I brought up how his favorite thing in the whole world is his cat hut just like below. I also told her that he loves ripping up the carpet inside of the hut. She said that he shouldn't be in or use the hut citing a choking hazard with the carpet.

Should I be worried? Are there any other dangers I should be wary of? I just can't bring myself to take away his favorite object in the entire world (sometimes I think he likes it more than me)

You & Me Round Cat Condo at PETCO

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
I would be very concerned about him swallowing fibers. I was interviewing a new pet sitter for a trip I'm taking in 3 weeks and we were discussing medical issues and she told me about a bird that had a mass of fibers from something it was chewing stuck. The vet managed to get it out and the bird survived. He may love it, but I would not let him rip it up. Find other good things for him to chew on and destroy instead. Maybe get him a box to hide in with wood and natural fiber things hidden inside.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I removed Avery's snuggle hut, one of her favourite things in the entire world, because I quite literally pulled a thread out of her beak that had made it into her crop. For a year I thought it was just fine until that happened, and then I was concerned about how many times that had happened. Personally, I think your bird being safe is much better than your bird being slightly grumpy for a week or two. Considering that he likes to rip it it, chances are he's also ingesting fibres.

Avery got over it and she's just fine nearly 4 months later.

Most Reactions

Latest posts