wanted-macaws

HarleyRider

Jan 26, 2013
Evansville,In
Parrots
5 parakeets and Two 7yr old severe macaws Dexter(m) and Peek-a-Boo(f) two Blue and Golds Oscar(m) and Lilly(f) both mid teens
Will take your free unwanted macaw and give it a good forever home with other birds and Daisy (my 4 pound chihuahua)who justs watches the birds sing and fly around the room. Must be healthy and a cage would be nice. Will pick up if within 250 miles of Evansville,In

Last edited:

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
wow, just joined, and you want a Macaw..........Not a good way to start out here....oh, and you want a free one too :rolleyes:

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I agree with WharfRat.

I see a lot of ads in various newspapers/online classifieds just like this and wonder who these people are. If they are a rescue, then they should say so upfront or I will believe they are flippers.

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
Indeed. Some people see nothing wrong with flippers... even before I purchased my bird from one (and finding out afterwards) I would never have thought they were anything but immoral money makers. After being duped by one and seeing the suffering the birds often go through I see the red flags everywhere now. There are few things in the pet trade as sad as someone who profits from the misfortune of human and bird alike.

HappyHummingbird

Jan 5, 2013
Florida
Parrots
B&G Macaw
Hey Harley, why don't you introduce yourself and hang out a little while before asking for a macaw.... Start participating in the forums and then maybe people will be more willing to help you out. ;)

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
I will take any Hyacinth macaws going for free!!!!!!! Pick me! Pick me!!! Hahahha cracks me up.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Yes, I will DEFENITELY give you my FREE macaw to a person who hasn't even said his/her name, wants a cage to go with the free bird, and doesn't even say WHY he wants a macaw. :rolleyes: Let's throw in free food and vet care too. ;)

OP
H

HarleyRider

Jan 26, 2013
Evansville,In
Parrots
5 parakeets and Two 7yr old severe macaws Dexter(m) and Peek-a-Boo(f) two Blue and Golds Oscar(m) and Lilly(f) both mid teens
wow..... what a bunch of rude people......to start out with I am NOT a flipper...I was just trying to save a bird from people who no longer want it anymore . and I'vealways wanted a macaw every since I was a kid but the price was always out of reach....so if thats wrong fine...and if you read the ad correctly I said " must be healthy and a cage would be nice".....

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Honestly I didn't want to get into this thread again, but the starting price of a macaw which is the cage, bird, and first vet visit (which you want.... for free....) ISN'T the only thing you'll pay! Macaws live, at a healthy age, anywhere from 60-80 years! There's the money for toys (which you will have to constantly buy, they're meant to be destroyed) food and produce, annual (If you want, 2 times a year) vet visits, new cages when they're needed (macaws are known to bend and break bars of their cages :eek:) and ALL the time and care needed to provide for a macaw. Keep that in mind. Just because you get the bird and possibly the cage free doesn't mean it'll be a cheap road over time.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Rude? Been known to be from time to time..... Proper forum etiquette usually includes introducing yourself, explaining your experience and situation, getting to know some people. This would apply to ANY forum, not just birds, before joining and immediately asking for a "freebie". (on the first post no less, 2nd post calling everyone rude). Right now I'm being "nice" (for me) in respect for the Mods here. You need to take a moment to think how a total stranger would be treated asking you and your "friends" for "something for nothing" the first time you met them.

Have a nice day :)

SparkkiSparkS

Nov 14, 2011
SC
Parrots
2 Plum Heads. Indian Ringneck. Hahns Macaw <3
Some of these post did come off pretty rude, but I do understand where they are coming from. Both sides of this could be a bit nicer and just ask questions/give more info.. I'm sure they will be answered. I would love to adopt a macaw as well for free. I grew up with a pair of them and know what they're like but I gave up on free along time ago. If I really wanted to I could probably get one but would have to be hurting on money for a while so I haven't. If I get a new bird I plan on spending atleast 300 at the vet as soon as I bring one into my home on top of cage, food, toys ect. You can look at rescue centers, there are always birds in need. Just be ready for home checks and probably still a good chunk of change spent. Also consider the birds past and why it needed rescuing to begin with. Good luck on your search!

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Hmmm I don't think anyone was particularly rude. :) Sarcastic, bemused, alarmed... yes. People can only judge based on what they see and you can't blame them for that. :) I always worry about bird flippers, because I feel people just are not aware enough of them. And some aren't concerned about them, perhaps only because they don't know what can happen.

I'm pretty sure that Harley could see that now and appreciate the fact that flippers are a real concern for bird lovers. Its impossible based on one little ad to rule out that possibility... and I don't think its imperative that forum members attempt to pry information from someone new that didn't follow forum procedure and strongly appears to be a flipper... they are normally accomplished story tellers and a dramatic or defensive response is regularly indicative of their guilt.

Flippers often put out a lot of feelers on different media. I found the girl that sold me my bird on a facebook rescue page attempting to adopt a couple of cockatoos :11: Typical for a bird flipper, she often joins a forum or facebook group and throws her ads for buying/adopting or selling straight out there, choosing which one she is either a buyer or seller on.

OP
H

HarleyRider

Jan 26, 2013
Evansville,In
Parrots
alright point well taken. sorry for MY rudeness.This is the first time I've joined a forum .I wasn't aware of the etiquette. My name is Randy and I have a 3yr.old chahuahua,a 11 yr.old chow chow and 4 parakeets.My g/f and I have been a foster home to many small dogs. The last thing I wanted was to cause such an uproar for trying to save a bird. A lot of you on here are always saying go to a "rescue shelter" before a breeder. Last I checked they recieve the birds and turn around and charge you an adoption fee for $500 or more....and you called me a flipper HUH I guess you all missed the point of me saving them from neglect and being unwanted. As far as the expense of toys and food I am aware that owning one isn't cheap.

OP
H

HarleyRider

Jan 26, 2013
Evansville,In
Parrots
I would like to thank all of the helpful advice and lets end this bickering

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Welcome to your first forum then :D

Forums are fantastic, great for information and support! You need to remember that this is all just words on a screen, you never know whats lurking behind the keyboard on the other end :D LOL :D
It could be good or bad... but you definitely can't let yourself be offended by it or it will eat you up inside and keep you from the real benefits of the experience. :)

A flipper is someone who makes a profit from something which is heavily discounted... things which may either need slight repair (a coat of paint, a few bolts replaced... a flea bath or a hair trim...) before being sold at an increased amount...
or may be purchased from someone who through circumstance is desperate to sell and may require no attention prior to resale at a profit (this applies to not only animals but objects as well).

Someone who is looking for a cheap pet for themselves is not a flipper. :)
But flippers almost always pose as someone looking for a cheap or free pet... or to adopt unwanted/neglected/abused pets.

Rescue is a completely different kettle of fish. They never specify that the animals they adopt must be healthy or behaviourally sound... and many come in with very expensive medical bills or behavioural issues due to neglect, abuse or just ignorance. Even an incorrect diet can mean years of medication and rehabilitation to get the bird back in balance. Because their job is so expensive, they do charge an adoption fee. An adoption fee also deters those who want something cheap and won't treasure it, their aim is to find permanent homes for these birds who have possibly gone through hell and back and who may not survive having to be rehomed again. And make no mistake, birds are fragile creatures who can die from the stress or associated behavioural issues that arise from being rejected and passed about continuously... it is very heartbreaking. Plucking can lead to mutilation which can lead to infections and death. Imagine being the rescue who has to deal with the heartbreaking sight of a bird who has chew through skin and muscle to its breast bone :( Its a heartbreak I think I couldn't bear.

That doesn't mean all rescues are perfect or risk free either... there are the odd bird flipper who pose as a rescue! Like everything, its never black or white :)
I think most people are rescue advocates in some way, but in reality a rescue bird doesn't suit everyones situation and you should NEVER be forced into going through rescue rather than a breeder. Your available time, money, experience and understanding may determine whether you can deal with a rescue/rehome or not. Even a previously well loved and perfectly cared for well behaved bird can have issues based on being separated from someone they have bonded with. Its even more important these birds are treated with utmost patience and understanding and not prematurely re-rehomed.

If you are looking at adopting someones pet they can't keep... keep in mind not all of these birds will be abused, neglected or unloved. :) It will definitely help you find a suitable bird if you remain sensitive to their plight.
Some people are in a really bad situation they never could have expected... health issues, financial issues... even facing homelessness. And they love their birds dearly.
If you do find one from a bad situation, for the birds sake, sometimes its best to bite your tongue about it until you get the bird out of the situation. Thats what I had to do, which cost me A LOT in the end, but she is safe and happy now. She is a troubled bird but I love her with all my heart and she will have a forever home with us where she wont ever need to worry about being shipped across country and separated from all she knows and feels comfortable with ever again :)

So, if you are genuinely seeking a pet bird to love forever, I hope you keep this all in mind :) And be watchful of flippers yourself as well! Birds which come from flippers can have emotional issues from being passed around so much and sometimes abused or neglected. Its not always the case, but it often is.

OP
H

HarleyRider

Jan 26, 2013
Evansville,In
Parrots
thank you Thingamagig for all the helpful info. I looked at a B&G (not free either) today that has a plucking issue. After being there a for about 10 minutes she got on my hand with no problem and bounced her head up and down, the owners said that's a good thing and that she liked me. She's had the B&G for over 10yrs.

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Yes, that is a good sign. Have you read up on the species, how-to-guides, etc...?

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
That was a turbulent ride into your first forum experience lol

She sounds sweet, and don't let plucking put you down. My galah had plucked her entire back underneath her winds and her lesser under wing coverts. Now she is looking much better and her plucking is very minimal, but all the feathers may never come back. If you do end up getting that macaw, make sure to do a thorough vet check up and get her on a excelent diet. A good diet, trick training(aka the best mental stimulation), and lots of great love and care can help end plucking in all but the most extreme cases.

And just a funny side note, although a parrot forum seems like a great place to adopt a bird from, it's more of a place for the best parrot parents to talk about how much we love are birds and get advice and share experiences. I hope if you get a bird, or if you don't get a bird, that you stay and enjoy our company.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Ok Guys, lets try and keep this thread amicable!

Welcome HarleyRider and sorry you got off on the wrong foot here, but I am pleased the misunderstanding has now been sorted:)

Maybe you could look into a Rescue Centre to adopt a Macaw.

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
And just a funny side note, although a parrot forum seems like a great place to adopt a bird from, it's more of a place for the best parrot parents to talk about how much we love are birds and get advice and share experiences. I hope if you get a bird, or if you don't get a bird, that you stay and enjoy our company.

That's what I was trying to think of a way to say. You said it very eloquently Copperarabian about forums are more for us parronts to talk , share & give advice about our feathered 'kids'. :D

HarleyRider, please do stay and interact with us. It is a great place to hang out & learn all about our common bond~parrots. I am sure once you get your new darling you will have lots of pics & fun things to post. They are wonderful awesomely amazing creatures!:red1:

Most Reactions

Latest posts