wanted-macaws

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
Welcome to the forum! Sorry if you thought my post was rude, I was trying to be funny. The people here are great, and they will tell it like it is. That's one of the reasons why I love it so much. Do tell us more of your B&G find, are you getting her?

OP
H

HarleyRider

Jan 26, 2013
Evansville,In
Parrots
5 parakeets and Two 7yr old severe macaws Dexter(m) and Peek-a-Boo(f) two Blue and Golds Oscar(m) and Lilly(f) both mid teens
I've read a couple of books about parrots and macaws from the library cover to cover. Also read alot here on the web about them. She is a sweet bird and I bet a beautiful bird when (if) her feathers come back in. She looks like a pluck chicken on her chest,legs and where her wings meet her back.She likes licking and light nibbles the present owners fingers . I'm going to get her , I just have to get something to bring her home in. Any suggestions, I was thinking of a large dog crate. Oh I am very excited.She's only about a mile from me. A couple of weekends ago I drove 260 (halfway)miles one way to meet a person in Alabama who wanted to sell a pair of them but she never showed up. Then a couple of days later she said she was in Camaroon, I told her she was a scammer. Was a real let down :( But it might have been a blessing or else I wouldn't have found Polly ( unusual name for a parrot...HUH.....LOL )

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
A large Dog crate should be ok to bring her home in.

Look forward to seeing pics when you have her:)

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
A dog crate is fine, I've used them in the past. Only thing you probably want to do is affix a perch of some kind in there since the bird won't really get any "traction" on the plastic floor and could slide around in it. (unless of course its a wire mesh crate)

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
A dog crate is fine, I've used them in the past. Only thing you probably want to do is affix a perch of some kind in there since the bird won't really get any "traction" on the plastic floor and could slide around in it. (unless of course its a wire mesh crate)

I recently saw and ingenious idea implemented and would highly suggest it: Use an airline approved (the ones fully enclosed with small little slits on the sides) dog crate. You can find them at any pet supply store, as well a WalMart/Target. Now, the ingenious thing is this; Macaws have long tails, and having their tales bent can be annoying, if not painful. So what I saw was that the owner had cut out a slit about 2 inches long and about 2 inches shy on each side of the width of the crate. This slit allowed their Macaws to put their tails outside, fully stretched out, and perch on a perch that had been placed via a drilled hole in the side of the carrier to get it low enough that they didn't bonk their heads.

I never would have thought of that at all, myself. Brilliant!!

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
I used a large dog crate with a couple towels in he bottom to bring my macaw home. It's about a 30 minute drive.

OP
H

HarleyRider

Jan 26, 2013
Evansville,In
Parrots
5 parakeets and Two 7yr old severe macaws Dexter(m) and Peek-a-Boo(f) two Blue and Golds Oscar(m) and Lilly(f) both mid teens
thanks everyone, the ride is less than a mile away..maybe a 5 min drive I know I'll need something to take her to the vet in. There is a avian vet at the local zoo less than 5 miles from me and I was told there is another vet but dont know where he/she is or name yet. I definetly want to have her checked out. She hasn't been to vet in a long time, so I know she's long overdue. What should I expect at our first visit?

OP
H

HarleyRider

Jan 26, 2013
Evansville,In
Parrots
Bad news everbody...just called about the BG to tell them I was on my way to buy her and they sold her 2 hours after I looked at her yesterday:( I'll keep looking for one

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
Hi HarleyRider,
I just want to mention (so you are prepared) that your new macaw may act very different once you bring her home. She may be very friendly when you go and visit her and once home she may change her attitude. I am mentioning this because I rescued an amazon as my first bird, she was so friendly when I met her and visited her the first week. Once home she become a little "monster"! LOL It took her about a month of constant work to be able to get her out of her cage again, however once she started to bond with me she made great strides. Just keep this in mind, it was quite a shock to me at the time and I felt that we had taken many steps backwards. Now I know that this is often the case and would have liked to know it in advance.
Make sure that you have lots of toys for her in her cage, try and have different types, wooden, plastic, stainless steel, toys for shredding etc. You will find which are her favorites. Get her a vet check, good diet and lots of attention and you will find she will be forever grateful! Good luck and keep us updated! Oh yeah, we love pictures!

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Welcome to the forum, Glad all the drama settled down.

I'm glad you found a B&G to rescue and give them a loving home. There was two things not metioned here on this thread and I believe it would be very helpful to you in your search.
I would also advise you to check for local Parrot clubs in your area. you will find lots of info, Breeders, rescue owners and perhaps could have the right bird for you. 2nd, check with your local Zoo. I have seen and read where some macaws who become sick but not to the point where their life is in danger, it was cheaper for the Zoo to find a great home for the birds rather then treat them, this might be an option.

For my GW Macaw, I purchased a great dane carrier, drilled holes in the side for perches. I found an old crate that fit the bottom of the carrier so I could place news paper below it to catch the droppings and clean up is a snap.

I am also glad to hear that you are reading up about Macaws, there are so many to choose from and they all have their own personalities, issues, and wonderful bonds with their owners.
Rescues are more work then your new baby macaws but in the long run once you are able to get a bird out of a bad situation, the rewards are great.

You stated that the B&G you are interested in was plucked. In most cases and depending on how long they have been plucked, their feathers coming back are slim. Plucked birds need more care then fully feathered Macaws. There are also skin issues to be on the look out for, so also do your homework here.

Best of luck and please keep us posted on how things work out for you. If by chance you find one, we all love to see pictures, so please post them. Thanks Joe

Doves1

Banned
Banned
Aug 17, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Phoenix the Scarlet Macaw
A dog crate works wonders for transporting a parrot! :) That's the only way my Scarlet goes for rides and to different places, they are easy to put perches in and I just put a thick blanket in the bottom for traction.

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Jewels-peachface lovebird
Ivy- budgie
Sorry about the blue and gold being sold, I had a similar experience with a green wing last summer.

I'm sure you will be able to find another rehome!!!Good luck

OP
H

HarleyRider

Jan 26, 2013
Evansville,In
Parrots
Thanks sssaucy it was a little dissapointing that they sold her but I will keep looking ..... I had to dip into my macaw money this morning :( had to take my chihuahua to the vet she's better now, just a small case of respritory infection... gotta take care of the little ones I know this is a macaw forum , just keeping you updated on my search

Most Reactions

Latest posts