Was she scared or trying to just explore?

Karlys

Apr 11, 2018
Hi guys,

We visited our baby cockatiel and her behavior was completely different. Since our last visit on Monday, they moved her from a tub with 4 other babies and into a cage with about 10.

Before, she'd calmly sit there, occasionally peeping, and would begin to preen after a while. Today, she kept flying out of our hands (down to the floor because they clipped her :/) and she just seemed more amped up. She did it 5 times before we decided to cut the visit short so she didn't hurt herself by flying into something.

Do you think she was scared because of her new living situation or was she trying to practice flying? Or something else?

Thank you for any insight!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Without being there or knowing more of her behavior, it's hard to say.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Another new situation with more kin folk about...and trying out her new arms...could be just being a baby bird and learning new stuff.

Jim

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
yeah I'd have to be there...did the bird just turn and bolt or did he turn and look and gauge distances and think about it......

OP
Karlys

Karlys

Apr 11, 2018
Whatever it was, she was completely back to her usual self today! Plus, she's gotten step up down so today was a very good day.
I'm sure it was like Jim said-- new roommates, new cage, and, you know, being a baby bird. She's our first so I've been worrying/over analyzing everything. I need to take a chill pill lol.

We're going to start bringing her a little bit of Harrison's. I'm doubting she'll eat it but our rationale is that exposing it to her a every time until we bring her home from now on will make the transition easier. Or maybe not... but it doesn't hurt to try!

Most Reactions

Latest posts