Dec 17, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Parrots
Kona & Ino: Green Cheeked Conures--

Petey: Yellow Female Parakeet--

Chicken: Blue Male Parakeet--

Pickle: Male Yellow Indian Ringneck--

Girlie: Orange Winged Amazon
I have 2 gccs. I want to wash their cozy tent. Is there anything special I should do or any precautions I should take when washing/drying it? I heard fabric softener is bad as well as dryer sheett.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I would wash it by hand in a very small amount of Dawn dish washing soap and warm water, be careful to rinse all the soap out, then hang it in the sun to dry completely. You can use a clean folded towel stuffed inside to retain the original shape. Be sure to check for loose threads and fuzzies before returning it.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'd say hand wash too. It might fall apart in the machine. Maybe put in the dryer for at least a little while if it has faux fur, to "fluff" it up again, ut hang dry the rest of the way to avoid wear and tear and falling apart. As Allee said, check for loose strings before using again :)

OP
J

JosephN79

Dec 17, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Parrots
Kona & Ino: Green Cheeked Conures--

Petey: Yellow Female Parakeet--

Chicken: Blue Male Parakeet--

Pickle: Male Yellow Indian Ringneck--

Girlie: Orange Winged Amazon
Awesome! I'll do it by hand then. I was also concerned about the washer tearing it up and causing loose threads. I've read the horror stories about birds getting tangled in them.

It'll be hard drying it where I am in Northern Kentucky. . . Outside anyway. I'll try a hair dryer maybe.

This thing is the equivalent to a silk blanket to a child for my conures. They sleep on top of it, wipe their beaks on it...poop on it. Lol.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I didn't think about that, your little guys may not want to wait long enough for their cozy tents to dry naturally. You could use a lingerie bag and put the tents in the dryer.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
I have 2 gccs. I want to wash their cozy tent. Is there anything special I should do or any precautions I should take when washing/drying it? I heard fabric softener is bad as well as dryer sheett.

Yeah....make sure you take the bird out before you wash it....Ha ha....Oh silly me, I soak it overnite in sink, use tide, and a good rinse, then hang dry for a couple days. each bird has a back up tent.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Yeah....make sure you take the bird out before you wash it....Ha ha....

Hahaha, that was too funny! Thanks for the laugh first thing in the morning, just brightened up my day!

Ha ha haaaa, Didn't mean to make you laugh...Ok..I did...but seriously, people should double check....sounds silly, but my Senni has been known to get herself in some funny situations and not so funny ones. Spent 2 hours one day trying to figure out where she went. Was having a scared heart felt attack of something bad happen to her.

Well we have these curtain rods and on the ends are Birds, the size of a canary on each end. There she sat, next to the "fake " bird on the curtain rod. our ceiling are 12 feet high, so I didn't think of looking up, and she didn't make a Peep...go figure. The silly Little sausage was playing hide and no seek. LOL...

Most Reactions