Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
WOW! I'd leave the egg (probably soon to be 2) in there for a month, whether she shows interest or not, JUST to (hopefully) prevent her from laying more.

I was thinking about doing that so now with a second voice, I'll leave her eggs alone. I also thought about relocating her cage. If I do this, is it to soon to move it since she "mid egg"?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I was thinking about doing that so now with a second voice, I'll leave her eggs alone. I also thought about relocating her cage. If I do this, is it to soon to move it since she "mid egg"?

Nah, you can move her cage. I'd do it today though, no later than tomorrow. :) Good luck, and hopefully she'll snap out of it after this clutch.

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
Wow Venus really is being persistent, hopefully as suggested with the eggs remaining, she will go through the process and give up on the egg laying and wanting to nest.

Pebbles has decided she doesn't want babies any more, and has returned to her sweet former self, in fact she seems to be a bit more open now and wanting to interact more, so as much as it was a disruptive process, I think it has actually been a good thing.

Fingers crossed you have the same experience with Venus shortly.

Cheers,

Cameron

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
New developments, Venus laid her second egg yesterday in the bottom of her cage. This morning though, one of the eggs was broken, and only 1/4th it was there. No pieces of shell in site, her cage has remained closed and locked. Will Ekkie's eat their own eggs????

And for Julie, Canelo has been getting in trouble since Venus laid her eggs in the bottom of her cage. He circles her cage like a vulture, I even caught him licking her cage, trying to use his tongue to reach the eggs. Venus got him though, lol. He watches me out of the corner of his eye, he and I have been going at it because he is persistent about stalking her cage. For those not familiar with Canelo, this is Canelo, the bottomless pit.

a587d66f2030f05a0b4f3f53569e5f27.jpg

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I know I'm not Julie, but you can share Canelo ANY time. :D I LOVE HIM!!!! Just wanna smooch that face so much!

As for one of the eggs being broken and partially missing, yes, it's entirely possible Venus ate some. Since she's been laying, are you giving her foods high in calcium? It's possible she ate some of it to replenish her body. (This is just a guess on my part)

OR....could she have tossed pieces of it out, and Canelo ate it? :54:

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
OR....could she have tossed pieces of it out, and Canelo ate it? :54:

Thank You! Mr. "Fatty cakes" is my baby. He's such a good boy.

I didn't think about Venus tossing egg bits, I did check around her cage and didn't see any, HOWEVER, Canelo, kept looking away while I was cleaning and looking around the cages. He's guilty of something based on his expressions, but I haven't pushed him on "crimes", lol!

We call Canelo "Hoover" for very good reason, lol!!! For anyone worried about Canelo, he's our prince, gets what he wants. He's spoiled. Rotten!!!!!!!

I am keeping an eye on them both now to see what transpires. Thanks!

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Wendy I had to double check myself on high calcium foods. With Venus and her vitamin A deficiency I focus on vitamin A rich foods, but I'm happy to report she has been getting calcium rich foods too. However, I've bumped up the portion. She loves broccoli, eats green beans and she will eat a little okra. I chop kale into tiny buts and mix it in her foods so she's been eating that as well. I'm wondering, should I add a supplement like Sunshine Factor? I've read that Ekkies shouldn't receive supplements.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
No, I honestly wouldn't add any supplements. You are feeding her a TERRIFIC diet! :)

How's she doing with her egg?? Is she tending to it at all, or does she ignore it?

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
No, I honestly wouldn't add any supplements. You are feeding her a TERRIFIC diet! :)

How's she doing with her egg?? Is she tending to it at all, or does she ignore it?

She tends to it non stop. I did relocate her egg though, another coffee box (no coffee, just a roomy box) on her play top and I moved her egg there. Surprisingly, she showed no aggression so I guess I pass on touching her egg. This way, Canelo doesn't lurk and stress her out. She's been on guard mode with him because he keeps circling around her cage.

She really wants to be a mommy, but I do not want babies. I even reread Laura's write up on Ekkies to cement "NO" in my head, lol!!! She just turned 3, so I calculate in another 2-3 years she should calm down.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I think Venus does want to be a 'mommy'! You're doing a good job with things Tracey. The mature female Ekkie I had never was interested in nesty behavior or laying thank goodness. I mostly had male birds over the years so no experience with anyone being eggy :). I'm hoping Mink never starts thinking about it, and I'm doing what I can to avoid it before it starts. In any species, I've noticed that it seems like some individuals are more inclined to have a stronger drive to have babies than others regardless of the environment.

I'm wondering if there is a food that Canelo won't eat?! He is the funniest guy. I don't even know if you can call parrot eggs "food" LOL :D.

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Canelo is a bottomless pit. He is the first dog I've had to monitor and regulate with diet. Two nights ago, I left Venus' cage open while we went out for dinner. She was in her box on her playtop with her egg, but I had left her half an ear of corn to snack on. We got home and I saw corn bits on the carpet. I looked at Canelo and said "What did you do?". Instant guilt on his face. Venus had tossed her cob out of her food bowl and Canelo climbed in her cage and ATE IT!!! Yes I laughed when he wasn't around, but I had to keep a straight, stern face in front of him. That was so hard.

When he was barely a year old, I put baked chicken breast down for he and Lola. Lola bites pieces off, not him, he tried to swallow the whole breast. I saw him foaming at the mouth and rolling on the floor. I yelled to Husband, "He's not breathing!!!!" I picked him up by his hind legs to hang him upside down, Husband did chest poundings on him and he expelled the whole chicken breast he tried to swallow. He literally tried to swallow an entire chicken breast!!! I accept responsibility for that, but since then, he gets cut up meat. He will eat anything. I joke with Husband that if we'd let Canelo, he'd eat us to.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
OMG, Tracey, as scary...actually HORRIFYING...as that chicken breast experience had to have been, I can't help but laugh at the visual of you holding Canelo by his rear feet, while your hubby succeeded making him expel it. :eek: My Ziva eats like this. Anything!! Everything!!!

The scariest thing she's ever done was devour an entire raw hock bone. No, she didn't choke, but I was petrified she was gonna have a blockage. She didn't - we got VERY lucky. :eek:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
@ Taw5106 : Would it possible to give Venus some false eggs when she starts to become a bit nesty in an effort to head off her actually laying with all the problems that presents?

I have heard of false eggs replacing real fertilised eggs but would this help satisfy Venus? The false ones wouldn't give off any scent for Canelo to be interested in either.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
OMG you had me busting up rotfl!! I agree with Wendy what a horrifying thing that must have been in the moment, but after hearing that everything was okay, the visual sure is funny! He gets cut up meat now, I don't blame you!

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
OMG you had me busting up rotfl!! I agree with Wendy what a horrifying thing that must have been in the moment, but after hearing that everything was okay, the visual sure is funny! He gets cut up meat now, I don't blame you!

OMG I was reading your post as we were arriving at the house. Husband stayed home today because he is sick. Yes at the time it was scary but we crack up about it now. He has raided the pantry, I had to buy a trash can with a lid lock because he discovered dumpster diving.

So as we walk in the house today he is sitting in the doorway of my bedroom with that guilty look. "What did you do?" Walk in the living room and there is an Allegra box covered in slobber and teeth marks, bits of paper towel... Husband left a pack of Allegra on a side table and Canelo got a hold of it so I started counting pills. He didn't eat them!!! He still wouldn't come out of my bedroom. But, we discovered Husband had left a paper towel he had his breakfast in and that's what Canelo was after. And he ate it. No food in the towel but he ate the towel. He's a garbage disposal, lol!!!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
He ate a paper towel with no food in it?!! OMG I'm cracking up again!!! :18: I'm glad he didn't get the allergy meds, but the towel hahahaha oh no!

I wonder if other bulldogs do this sort of thing too? Wendy's Ziva is half AmBull, and she said she eats everything too? Maybe not paper towels... I wonder if it's a breed thing? LOL still it's so funny.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

I wonder if other bulldogs do this sort of thing too? Wendy's Ziva is half AmBull, and she said she eats everything too? Maybe not paper towels... I wonder if it's a breed thing? LOL still it's so funny.

I'm embarrassed to admit, yes, Ziva AND Oscar eat paper towels, napkins, toilet paper if they can get their teeth on it, and SOCKS! :eek: Oscar has mellowed out a LOT, but Ziva continues to get into anything and everything.

Her nickname is 'Sandbox'. I have crushed walnut shells on the bottom of my Java trees, and I should take a photo one day to show you her footprints ALL in that crap, scavenging out any and all food the birds drop. :30: When I see her footprints, I look at her and say "Sandbox", her tail will go in between her legs, she'll look away, and will crawl away in slow-mo. :32:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
ROTFL!! Ziva and Oscar eat paper too :18:! Wendy, so maybe it IS a breed characteristic :D. Hm, who else has Bulldogs?

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
New update, her last egg has disappeared. I had placed a new box on her playtop, placed her 2 eggs in it. She was on her playtop watching me when I did it and didn't attack. Once the eggs were in the box she went in and sat on it. I did this to keep Canelo from her eggs. Earlier I reported one egg was broken then was gone. Today I looked in her box and the other egg is gone so I've removed the box, however, if I have her with me she flattens herself wanting to mate. This is month 3, will this end soon? She's 3 yo and I'm hoping she won't lay again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Gone, as in gone without a trace??? :11:

Crap! Without knowing what happened, I'm afraid she's gonna attempt to replace them soon. :( I hope I'm wrong.

Most Reactions