Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Gone, as in gone without a trace??? :11:

Crap! Without knowing what happened, I'm afraid she's gonna attempt to replace them soon. :( I hope I'm wrong.

I think you are right. She's been rather aggressive today. She charged husband with wings open today when he walked to her cage to say hello. She was on top sitting looking sweet and next second a little monster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Double crap!!!

If she lays another clutch, I'd honestly suggest consulting a vet because her little body will be deprived of something rather sooner than later.

I truly hate to even suggest this, but will nonetheless. Since Venus is dead set on being a mommy, can you provide her a box? That way she'd have a SAFE place to lay her eggs in, and nobody and nothing could bother her with them. That way you could let her sit on them for a month before removing them (or replace with dummy eggs).

I am honestly dumb struck on the entire eggs going missing without a trace. :confused: You see, if Venus is throwing them out (and Canelo has a feast), that would explain the 'no trace' part. But is she's in a nest box, she'd have to somehow manage to get them up and out and over, which would be a hard thing to accomplish.

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Yep she's going to lay. She's been on top of her play top all day. I see Canelo jump, look up and Venus ambushed him and latched onto his face. He left the room, he was too close to her cage, looking for food. I suspect she rolled the egg out of her box and dropped it over the side since he's been hanging there. He's fine, just his pride hurt. She did it again to poor Chug the pug not long after. All she got was a beak full of hair. I went and got the box I took off the playtop to bring it back and I became her new target. I held the box up between she and I because she was at eye level on top of her cage. The hole was close to her and she did a head dive into the box. Goodness!!!!! Right now she is camping in her box, everyone is safe!

I'm going to try the box in the cage to see if that will work. I just finished making chop for Buddy and Venus with extra broccoli and green beans.

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
I'm hoping Wendy's wrong, too. But it definitely is a possibility. Remind me, this was her second clutch in a row, right?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yes you are right, second clutch, four eggs in total in under 45 days. I relocated her cage, rearranged the inside of her cage but she is so fearless. Yesterday I bought two new perches, a pedi perch for Buddy, set his up and he cried and got as far away from the perch as possible. The second perch I installed outside of Venus' cage and she had to come out, get on it, bite it, check it out while I'm installing it. She's not afraid of the dogs, or us. I thought about putting her harness on and taking her for a walk or out tonight because she gets nervous and uncomfortable but I don't know that doing that will help. Trying to shake her up inside by changing things is not helping.

We are gong to get a nesting box tonight. If she's baking an egg and hasn't laid it, will taking her out cause any issues? And she keeps posing for me wanting to mate. Puberty is horrible!!!!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Breathe in...breathe out...this, too, shall pass. We'll try and see to it! :)

No, you taking her out should have absolutely NO ill effects. I feel sorry for her, your hubby, your pups, AND your hubby right now. Poor Venus doesn't know what to do with herself and the continuous hormonal spikes, but we have to try and get a handle on things before she wears herself out silly.

I know you've moved the cage. Is there a way for you to block off the cage area so your (curious and obviously starving ;) ;) ;)) pups can stay clear of her???? Baby gates? Rope??? Cardboard boxes - IF they can stop a curious English Bully. :54:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Venus sure is bursting at the seams with the hormones huh? lol :D. I wonder if she is just an individual who is so strongly inclined to want to be a mom, that there is nothing you can do to stop it? They can give Lupron injections, but I understand that wouldn't be most people's first choice.

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
I got Venus a green pineapple hut and put it in her cage. She had to check it out right away, climbed in it, was beaking it then got out and wouldn't get back in it. And you can't touch it because it's her's. After checking it out she climbed back on top of her play top and went back to her coffee box. Is she moody? That's an understatement lol.
fd4d2d4df317e5e89a2043d0ff842554.jpg

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I love how she photobombed the pic! Venus is a trip!

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Well, I'm going to say Venus has rejected her new, green pineapple. Watching her I don't think she liked the bottom being soft where her cheap box has a hard bottom. She hasn't gone into the green pineapple since I got her photo bomb pics (Stephen, you were right again!). No eggs yet which is good. She has been such a sweety, so I touched her back to see her reaction. She flattened like a pancake, she went into hooch mode. Hormones are not done yet. WHEN WILL THIS END?!?!?!?!

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
yes, ekkies will eat their eggs...or at least ones that arent viable. A lot of birds do this as a way of housekeeping the nest.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
...She has been such a sweety, so I touched her back to see her reaction. She flattened like a pancake, she went into hooch mode. Hormones are not done yet. WHEN WILL THIS END?!?!?!?!

The back always has the potential to be an erogenous zone in sexually mature birds, even when they aren't in full out hormonal status. She probably thought you were finally coming around! Lol!

As for when it will be over, I'm actually not quite sure. For whatever reason, ekkie breeding seasons seem to be less clearly defined than for a lot of other parrots.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
...She has been such a sweety, so I touched her back to see her reaction. She flattened like a pancake, she went into hooch mode. Hormones are not done yet. WHEN WILL THIS END?!?!?!?!

The back always has the potential to be an erogenous zone in sexually mature birds, even when they aren't in full out hormonal status. She probably thought you were finally coming around! Lol!

As for when it will be over, I'm actually not quite sure. For whatever reason, ekkie breeding seasons seem to be less clearly defined than for a lot of other parrots.

Dropped the drink out of my hand. Now THAT was funny

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
For those curious about what a female ekkie's posture looks like when she wants to mate, here it is. I call it the pancake. Venus flattens, spreads her body flat and raises her tush. This is her this morning and no one had touched her.

7ccb48cfb7c06084b0a0ffbd298c31ef.jpg

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
OMGGGGGG!!!!!! We have egg number 5!!!!!! I got up to check on her and found this!

We are going to the vet.

9aaddad2d1506db21541a329df30e73a.jpg

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Awwww Tracey, I can feel your frustration over here. There is an implant they can Provide that do the same thing as Luperon shots and is used for birds who lay too much. It lasts a year and is better than monthly injections. It was also offered as an option for Parkers plucking in case it's hormonal (I might try that this year and see what happens).

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Thanks everyone. No appointment yet, the vet had closed already so I'll call in the morning. Female Ekkies have a reputation for being ruthless when they lay eggs, I confirm, she is, lol! But she has her moments where she is sweet and tonight we had that. So she didn't like the green pineapple, she likes her coffee box, but like Wendy pointed out, a lip was needed to keep the egg in the nest. Right after finding and taking a picture of the egg she was very aggressive so I let her be. Husband and I went out, came back a few hours later and the egg was still outside the box, she was in the box sitting. She came out, walked to the edge of her cage and stepped up on my hand, then to my shoulder. We went in the kitchen. I had another coffee box in the kitchen, emptied it and then cut a hole and made a lip. This entire time she's on my shoulder watching what I was doing. I took her and the box back to her cage and she hopped on her cage. I then picked up her egg, put it in the new box with the lip and replaced the old box with the new. She dove straight into the new box with her egg. She hasn't come out yet.

My thought is with the lip, she feels more secure? Now the egg can't roll out so (fingers crossed) this will be it! We are still going to the vet, 5 eggs in under 2 months worries me and given she lays two at a time, I'm expecting number six soon. She is definitely on a mission.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
I really hope the vet has some answers for you, too. She's approaching the number of eggs for 3 clutches in just 2 months. Poor thing.

In the meantime, increase the broccoli, egg shells and dandelion, Tracey. The more calcium in her, the better.

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
I really hope the vet has some answers for you, too. She's approaching the number of eggs for 3 clutches in just 2 months. Poor thing.

In the meantime, increase the broccoli, egg shells and dandelion, Tracey. The more calcium in her, the better.

Tonight, Venus and Buddy had broccoli, okra, and collard green chop. They both ate quite a bit so I'm happy, especially with Venus eating so much. All are high calcium foods and I chopped all up very finely, and steamed then served Luke warm. They are so spoiled.

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
And egg number 6 just arrived. Hopefully we will be able to see the vet tomorrow but the weather may not permit it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts