Weaned baby Blue Crown Conure begging

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
Merle is begging for formula all the time but he is weaned. He eats food all day and he is over three months old. He weighs 134-136 grams. The breeder made sure he was weaned before I got him and he DOES eat very well.

Do I need to worry? He acts fine, but he is always flapping one wing, slowly moving his head up and down and he makes strange noises, one quite loud noise that sounds like a baby crying and another noise that sounds like a penguin. I haven't gave him any formula by the way, I don't plan to either.

It is cute to see him do it, but what should I do about it? Should I just watch his weight and make sure he is eating and he will eventually grow out of it?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Just because he's weaned doesn't mean he can't regress. If a bird regresses, then they can starve themselves because they wont be eating enough food on their own.

You might want to make some mashed sweet potatoes, add in some steamed carrots, mashed banana, maybe even some almond butter and feed it warm.

So it's either you get that baby some formula or start feeding some warm mushie foods to help him settle back down!

OP
Frumpydumple

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
He is eating very well on his own. Will he still starve if he is eating a lot of fruit, vegetables, pellets and seed?

BEWolf

Mar 5, 2014
Lansing, NC, USA
Parrots
Harley and Marley mated pair of budgies, age unknown
Rajah and Keeta, mated pair of parrotlets, ages 6yrs. and 11yrs. respectively
Kiki, Senegal, F., 7yrs.
Kookooloo, CAG, F., 14 yrs.
Mimi, YHA, F., 1
I doubt that he will starve if he is eating a lot of fruit and veggies and seed and pellets but I would weigh him and make sure that he is eating these foods or if he is throwing it out. They can and do regress at times when they are weaned and move to their first and hopefully last home. If his weight isn't dropping then there should be nothing to worry about, but it would not hurt to give in and feed him some sort foods for a while. If this is what he is screaming about then use it to your advantage and give him some and sit and talk to him while he is eating it, it will help to have a strong bond with him.

OP
Frumpydumple

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG2xz78zbYo"]Merle (Blue Crowned Conure) begging for formula - YouTube[/ame]

The video is pretty quiet so you might have to turn your computers volume up.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
He is so precious!! I showed the video to Gilbert and he enjoyed it. I got Gilbert when he was almost 3 months too.
If he does seem to be eating plenty, I would keep feeding him his "big boy" food and maybe offer some mushy stuff like Monica suggested, as "comfort food" for him??

OP
Frumpydumple

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
He is so precious!! I showed the video to Gilbert and he enjoyed it. I got Gilbert when he was almost 3 months too.
If he does seem to be eating plenty, I would keep feeding him his "big boy" food and maybe offer some mushy stuff like Monica suggested, as "comfort food" for him??

Thanks. I think Gilbert is adorable. :)

I will do that then.

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
What a cutie. :) You should try offering him formula for a few days so he feels more comfortable. He just needs a little extra nurturing, that's all.

Didn't you have another GCC? I feel like I missed something. When did you get a BCC?

OP
Frumpydumple

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Ah, thank you! I can't believe I missed that. Congratulations! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts