Welcome home Phoebe (Orbit)

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Progress, progress, progress! A little at a time, but overall, huge. I love it! Extra scritches from Uncle Jon :)

Thanks Uncle Jon!
It shows bird time is sooo slow...
Screaming is greatly reduced too thank goodness @

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Sounds like amazing progress to me! I bet the folks from the pet shop wouldn't even recognize him anymore. :) Thank you for rescuing Orbit and giving him such a sweet life!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Here is Orbit just now!! He flys to me for cuddling, makes me so happy!! Was a long time coming!!!

Still hit or miss on Step ups at Cage area. He gets fearful and runs away. But when he Flys to me he steps up from hsnd to hand no problem

25253d1605461920-welcome-home-orbit-20201115_122519.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thank you, i tend to agree pretty sweet face..
My neighbor started to mow, Orbit felt he better come to me for protection. With fully clipped wings he flew and did a perfect touch down on my shoulder !! And I got a second nice snug session.

What a day! Flew to me for 3rd cuddling session. He us such a great flyer, with clipped wings no less!

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Orbit still runs and hides most times he see me... makes me feel like a looser. But today I was sweet talking him, when he ran away, I turned to Ta-dah. I was sweet talking her gave her a kiss, and Orbit came up and poked Ta-dah so she would move. Then he took her place and gave me kisses! Sooo it complicated lol
He did fly to me for 2 different cuddling sessions. And took several treats from me.
I wish we were at tge place were I could grab him up and snuggle when ever I wanted. And that he would always step up.
But I'm so glad non stop screaming is over!!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I made this today after reading Pamela Clark article last night and seeing her do this. Orbit my brave boy/girl has jumped right in to explore! Thought it would take a day or two to get action. I gsve him a piece of popcorn and praised his bravery

25355d1606941693-welcome-home-orbit-20201202_153109.jpg

Last edited:

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I question those zip ties for safety? It's the nature of zip ties to ratchet tighter until they are stopped by something, and to not come loose without cutting. I am quite fearful seeing zip ties with loops large enough for bird to slide head into.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Great advice, I'll tighten them up! Thanks

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Orbit, is getting better about step up, and affection.

But he uses his name as his/her ( soon as I can print out order firm will DNA) alarm call....
So when he is afraid he says Orbit over and over, when he us being cage protective and I stick my hand in change our water ir feed, he screams his name and does aggressive postures and wing flutter and charges, all the while saying Orbit

So do I change his name?????? Ugh...
I'm going try and do postive association with his name see if I can turn the tide

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Orbit, is getting better about step up, and affection.

But he uses his name as his/her ( soon as I can print out order firm will DNA) alarm call....
So when he is afraid he says Orbit over and over, when he us being cage protective and I stick my hand in change our water ir feed, he screams his name and does aggressive postures and wing flutter and charges, all the while saying Orbit

So do I change his name?????? Ugh...
I'm going try and do postive association with his name see if I can turn the tide

I’m sure it’s not funny IRL but the idea of him say long ORBIT ORBIT ORBIT when he’s having an emotion is pretty cute/funny from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
he makes it sound like cuss words! Like or bite, or bite you!! Or Bite!! With some trills thrown in..
He was called Oliver at the pet store but I have a dog named Oliver.....maybe will call him Otto..mmmm or Orion
Probably wait till I get DNA if I change. Any other O name ideas?

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ok i will call him Obi, .. ..until..
" Obi as a boy's name is of Nigerian origin, and the meaning of Obi is "heart".
I like that, heart. Obi it is!@@

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
What a difference!!!! Saying Obi instead of his adopted alarm call Orbit.

He has responded so well!! When I say Obi he stays calm, comes over to say hi. Huge difference @

I don't know why he turned his name into his alarm call almost from beginning....

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I've been waiting for my breakthrough moment, and changing his name to Obi has been it!!!
Today has been completely different since I stopped using h his alarm call for his name!

h4JHGcy.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
things have really been going great since tge name change! Lot of increased trust, snuggle sessions, preening me, and no more running away!@@ instead comes to get his kiss on tge head,, or comes over and trys to show off, and do funny things. He has a small hoop and he loves to run over and squeeze through if im watching. I still like the name Orbit, so I hope to sneak it back in at some point

Edit: thanks Lamanuka!!!

Stepping up has been a huge accomplishment for us, took a 2 month period of just earning trust, not trying to train and nit using the words step up, which he has a negative association with too. Instead I say come here. And I waited and let stepping up evolve naturally.

Last edited:

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Obi is also the first name of one of my favorite Jedi masters. :) (Obi Wan Kenobi)

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
omg!!!! I can't even believe the cuteness!!!
I gave Obi a red bottle cap and he loved it when he first came home.

Today I gave him one again, abd he carried it around all morning. Then he took it to his bath and played with it!@@ i just happened to see sbd took a terrible picture into the sun. He loves those red caps!!

Edit: I made some warm Volkman feather glow , since it chilly and he just took that cute bath. His first time eating it and he really likes! Took cap with him, would eat, then pick up cap, then put it down for the next bite. So not spoiled ( wink),

25415d1608314148-welcome-home-orbit-20201218_124511.jpg

25416d1608315319-welcome-home-orbit-20201218_130756.jpg

Last edited:

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
omg!!!! I can't even believe the cuteness!!!
I gave Obi a red bottle cap and he loved it when he first came home.

Today I gave him one again, abd he carried it around all morning. Then he took it to his bath and played with it!@@ i just happened to see sbd took a terrible picture into the sun. He loves those red caps!!

Edit: I made some warm Volkman feather glow , since it chilly and he just took that cute bath. His first time eating it and he really likes! Took cap with him, would eat, then pick up cap, then put it down for the next bite. So not spoiled ( wink),

Aweeeee, he is soooo adorable.:D

Most Reactions