Welcome home Phoebe (Orbit)

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I see i had been having a little past success with Less all day screaming, but we hsve backsliding.

He doesn't know how to properly preen, he does a very half *** job of it. Likely early weaning, and no other parrots to observe at store, he was the only bird there. I have my othher birds with me to start slow introduction. Pikachu was preening and Orbit watched him and then did started preening, and did a much better job:) hopefully having quaker models will help. The picture is all of us just hanging out with him , Tadah was on my chest so just barely made it into the picture. At some point after more time has passed I will do a big group feed all spread out in a neutral area to further the folding of Orbit into the flock

I just made a screaming plea thread. I said he had quit for tge first time sll morning....but he is back st st it, as he self sooths before his nap. That is his routine for nap lots of vocals as he slowly goes to sleep, tgey don't seem like unhappy vocals, just loud chattering to himself

25149d1603122531-welcome-home-orbit-20201019_113644.jpg

Last edited:

NewQuakerMom

Apr 7, 2020
If he's screaming at the same time every day, maybe you can do the same thing ppl do to help babies sleep through the night, and to help adults w/ insomnia. Set an alarm for 5 minutes or 10 minutes before the screaming starts & do something else instead. Offer treats, talk to him, something new and different. It might change his schedule just enough to let him let go of the habit. :)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Laura, I am so happy for you! I know you'll work all this out. And part of little Neptune's legacy will always be helping Orbit find you! Beautiful, beautiful.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Laura, I am so happy for you! I know you'll work all this out. And part of little Neptune's legacy will always be helping Orbit find you! Beautiful, beautiful.

We are making lots of progress. His sweet self comes over so I can kiss the top of his head, without treat bribes :)

And he asked for head scratches at ke a t twice a day.

We aren't doing any step up training at this point.

He eats every single veggie I throw at him! Chard, romaine, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, of course all types of peppers!!! Cauliflower, corn, celery, snap peas, asparagus, zucchini,
cooked squash ...and more!! In this he is just like Neptune , just loves all fresh vegetables.

I think he is having a growth spurt too. Will recheck Weight tomorrow. His feet are bigger than Pikachu, even tho Pikachu is twice his size right now .. so if he grows into tgem he will be my biggest quaker

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017

We are making lots of progress. His sweet self comes over so I can kiss the top of his head, without treat bribes :)

And he asked for head scratches at ke a t twice a day.

We aren't doing any step up training at this point.

He eats every single veggie I throw at him! Chard, romaine, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, of course all types of peppers!!! Cauliflower, corn, celery, snap peas, asparagus, zucchini,
cooked squash ...and more!! In this he is just like Neptune , just loves all fresh vegetables.

I think he is having a growth spurt too. Will recheck Weight tomorrow. His feet are bigger than Pikachu, even tho Pikachu is twice his size right now .. so if he grows into tgem he will be my biggest quaker

It's so lovely to hear the joy in your post even though you sometimes struggle with him. There was a time when I thought you might never have joy again. I am so glad for you.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thanks, it hurt and it still hurts to have lost Neptune.

Orbit is a challenge, just because its hard doesn't mean its not fun, and we do like each other:) we just have road blocks

Now that we are st week 3, I'm ready to start working on training/ progress again.

Today was going to be a training day. Orbit didn't get the memo tho......

Instead I opted for trying to lure him into more physical interaction. I had my chair snugged up next to the cage doors open and the other parrots with me. 2 hours later he put one leg on my arm......then came back to explore my arm with his beak........so progress and lots more success and progress to look forward too.

He will step up easy when flys to the floor, so that's good, but won't stay on my hand flys back to his cage. I did get to weigh him
His furst day home he weighed 90 grams and today 92 grams. I think for his size he should weigh 95.
My adult female is 97, she us a picky eater I've had her up to 100.
Pikachu is 115, and Neptune tho smaller than my other adults was 126.
Quakers used to be much larger , I remember much larger quakers 20 years ago. And the weight references listed for quakers stil reflect that .

Last edited:

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Thanks, it hurt and it still hurts to have lost Neptune.

Orbit is a challenge, just because its hard doesn't mean its not fun, and we do like each other:) we just have road blocks

Now that we are st week 3, I'm ready to start working on training/ progress again.

Today was going to be a training day. Orbit didn't get the memo tho......

Instead I opted for trying to lure him into more physical interaction. I had my chair snugged up next to the cage doors open and the other parrots with me. 2 hours later he put one leg on my arm......then came back to explore my arm with his beak........so progress and lots more success and progress to look forward too.

He will step up easy when flys to the floor, so that's good, but won't stay on my hand flys back to his cage. I did get to weigh him
His furst day home he weighed 90 grams and today 92 grams. I think for his size he should weigh 95.
My adult female is 97, she us a picky eater I've had her up to 100.
Pikachu is 115, and Neptune tho smaller than my other adults was 126.
Quakers used to be much larger , I remember much larger quakers 20 years ago. And the weight references listed for quakers stil reflect that .

What an interesting post. 2 hours just to get one leg and then a beak to touch your arm even with other birds present. I have only had one bird apart from when I was a child so not really experienced like you but to most people that wouldn't be progress at all. It just confirms how patient we have to be and get used to really small steps in the trust game. I find it really interesting to hear your progress, I hope you will keep us updated.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Tootsyd,
Lol, I would have liked more, but its pretty good. He freely chose himself to touch me.

But from day one to now, I went from not being able to touch him, him screaming biting and running away. To now i can call him over and kiss the top of his head, or he will back of the beak bump my lips, sometimes I get cheek rubs, or he preens my hair, and at least twice a day i can rub his head and preen his head pin feathers. He takes treats from hand nice and will target train some. So over all we have made lots of progress . He can even say his name now, not always clearly tho.

For yesterday , I sure would have liked to accomplish more!! My goal was to have him walk around and explore my body....but for him to choose to put a foot on my for the first time! That's pretty good. Yes way slow and patience .. i won't rush him again , I did once earlier and it was a mistake . So I will dig deep on the patience .
He has such a huge fear if hands and being grabbed. But he is sweet and very interested in interacting with me

Thank you for following our story! I hope o can have more progress to post about

Edit: Pet store birds aren't bad birds, it just depends on the burds experience with the breeder and then at the store, and the bird unique personality. Its just at pet stores often forced interactions and forced grabbing happen, and Not from meanness.

My GCC Tadah came from a pet store and she stepped up from day one and let me pet her.
My quaker Pikachu came from a pet store, went home with a college kid, then was re honed to me. He doesn't have fear of hands, and is the most trusting and gentle soul
My Burt the Burd came from a pet store and on the first day snuggled into my neck and didn't have any fears. RIP

Orbit had an open cage and people could stick their hands in. And the employees loved him, and wanted to train him, but they kept grabbing him up....its just easy for things to go sideways at pet stores even tho people mean well. But he also had the best cage set up I had ever seen for a pet store bird! Toys !!! Lots if perches and swings and things to do. And that paid off he loves to play with toys, is bold explorer if new things, likes to climb and hop, and swing, and do acrobatics!!
But terrified of hands, terrified if step up

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The unexpected benefits from yesterday!!! The 2 hours of the whole flock hanging out minus Clear* .

Well this morning Orbit flew himself from his isolated cage on one side of my great room, to the otherside that has all the bird cages and play area. He decided he is now part of the flock!!! Everybody else pretty much agreed, some minor sparring, I only broke up one fight with an envelope placed between combatants. So i moved his cage to join them. They all did so great hanging out!

First pic, Pikachu and Penny felt they were a party of two,, and Orbit was the third wheel. ( this dish used to be a painting dish so thats paint on the side not gross stuff ok :) )

Second pic, Orbit is a little shocked to see Ta-dah plunge in for a water bowl bath with little regard for modesty! His mouth is about to fall open and drop his beaten up piece if chard. ( which I replaced with a nice fresh leaf lol )

25170d1603642163-welcome-home-orbit-20201025_103532.jpg

25171d1603642187-welcome-home-orbit-20201025_112523.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
laurasea-albums-pikachu-picture22802-20201025-112523.jpg

Oh my Chard!
Someone call the gaurd!

A lady's skinny dipping
in that cup made for sipping.

Oh what a sight
This can't be right

Help what am I gonna do?
I feel i moved into a Zoo!

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Orbit is doing nicely with the flock. Everyone stayes about 8 inches apart . The only ones that will stay close and interact are Pikachu and Penny, and little Cloudy who will get in everyone's face to. sing

Yesterday Pikachu took a bath, then everybody lined up behind him! When he left the bath Penny got in, when she was done it was Ta-dah, then Orbit. Orbits bath was pitiful he stood in the water, fluffed his feathers and got out, only his legs got wet. So I spritzed him. He will learn from tge rest of the flock how its done I'm sure ;)

Something happened ( what I don't know) no and for the past two days Orbit has run from me. No kisses, no coming for treats.

Today I spent a lot of time baby talking and sweet talk him. I tried every seed I have to temp him, and nothing worked. So I tried veggies, and that worked ! My baby loves his veggies so much, that he will come running fir them! Then he told me good boy and lowered his head for some scratches. So I poured it on thick with baby talk and pet him for about 10 min. Yippee!!

All the birds were eating the afternoon veggies, snap peas, carrot and broccoli straws, bell pepper, fresh corn, chard, celery, and cranberry. So i came to the couch to write my updates. Slowly my flock flew over to join me. Then orbit ( wing clipped , I got him already clipped, all my others are full flight) managed to fly to the couch!! He landed next to me on the arm of the couch, and stepped up to my hand. So lots if praise
and I had him step to one hand and back to the other. Then he climbed under my chin and snugged in!!! I was petting his face, rubbing his beak , he purred!!! When I took him back to the cage he gave a good tail wag and a shake out, so he felt confident, secure abd probably a tad proud about his flight to the couch.

A pretty good update I think :),

Last edited:

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Orbit is doing nicely with the flock. Everyone stayes about 8 inches apart . The only ones that will stay close and interact are Pikachu and Penny, and little Cloudy who will get in everyone's face to. sing

Yesterday Pikachu took a bath, then everybody lined up behind him! When he left the bath Penny got in, when she was done it was Ta-dah, then Orbit. Orbits bath was pitiful he stood in the water, fluffed his feathers and got out, only his legs got wet. So I spritzed him. He will learn from tge rest of the flock how its done I'm sure ;)

Something happened ( what I don't know) no and for the past two days Orbit has run from me. No kisses, no coming for treats.

Today I spent a lot of time baby talking and sweet talk him. I tried every seed I have to temp him, and nothing worked. So I tried veggies, and that worked ! My baby loves his veggies so much, that he will come running fir them! Then he told me good boy and lowered his head for some scratches. So I poured it on thick with baby talk and pet him for about 10 min. Yippee!!

All the birds were eating the afternoon veggies, snap peas, carrot and broccoli straws, bell pepper, fresh corn, chard, celery, and cranberry. So i came to the couch to write my updates. Slowly my flock flew over to join me. Then orbit ( wing clipped , I got him already clipped, all my others are full flight) managed to fly to the couch!! He landed next to me on the arm of the couch, and stepped up to my hand. So lots if praise
and I had him step to one hand and back to the other. Then he climbed under my chin and snugged in!!! I was petting his face, rubbing his beak , he purred!!! When I took him back to the cage he gave a good tail wag and a shake out, so he felt confident, secure abd probably a tad proud about his flight to the couch.

A pretty good update I think :),

So miracles do happen. Well done you - oh and the rest of the flock!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Its still a work in progress....he wakes up dome days and is running from me....some days I get kisses and head scratches...
Some long screeching is going on again. Nursery rhymes quiet him down and soothing him

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Laura, I love that you don't lose sight of the big picture. You're doing an amazing job with Orbit! (and the rest of your flock) He's purring for you? That is awesome. I might have thought that was a bit of a tall tale, but I know it's real. My girl Baxter purrs when she's really in to the scratches, and it's the sweetest thing ever! Good to know it's not just my imagination running wild :)

Keep doing what you're doing, it's obviously paying off!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thanks! Both my other quakers purr for me too!
Little stinker Orbit is just toying with me! He flew over landed on the floor. He is willing yo step up from floor. So i put him on a parrot stand and asked for step up and he just did twice! His first true step ups, after 4 weeks...

Every time we have a break through I think ok now we can move forward.....but it's just not that way with him,

Edit: he had flown back to cage top, so I went over with a treat to see if would step up again nooo.
Then I came back to couch and he flew and landed on my shoulder!! He then did lots of step upd for me!!! Maybe its just the cage and cage tops that he still associate the fear of hands and forced interactions with?? I just don't have him all figure out yet that's fir sure. Does he know I'm writing about him and just wants to show off??? :)

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
That's awesome!!! Go Orbit! I'm sure you know better than I do since I've never had a quaker, but they are known for being protective of their cages, so it kind of makes sense that he's a little less cooperative when he's there?

And nope, no quakers in my future. :( I'm in one of those states that prohibits owning them. (Not that I plan on more birds, but, you know...)

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
He is protecting of his cage some. But the cage tops(4) are neutral the whole flock uses them...

He is tricky to figure out, he likes me and people, he is happy bold snd curious but his fear if hands and forcered interaction is pretty deep....and he is very independent ..

I haven't found his bribe foods thst are consistent. He will come over and touch the bribe, give me a kiss then walk away without taking the bribe.

They are all so unique , but bribes have been my way into their soul in the past...so for him it seems trust and building friendship is what's mostly working.....
You can be Orbit uncle!@
MBS is real ha......im hopeful I'm at full capacity tho, except for the Hope of Neptune finding his way home

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Yay! I'm an honorary uncle :D

And oh, yeah, MBS can get us in trouble. Two is definitely my limit, lest I become single lol!

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Orbit and I still have a long way to go, after 6 weeks with me. He still will run from me on cage tops, unless I have a treat.

But usually once a day he flys to me!! With fully clipped wings ( I will let grow out) And snuggles into my neck fir kisses and head scratches and he preens me. It feels so special that on clipped wings he chooses to come to me! That he chooses affection.
When he flys to me he is willing to step from. Hand to hand . And if he lands on the floor will step up. And twice I've gotten him to step up at the cage play area

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Progress, progress, progress! A little at a time, but overall, huge. I love it! Extra scritches from Uncle Jon :)

Most Reactions