Welcome home Phoebe (Orbit)

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ok ... wow what fun to re read our early days.. way past time for an update!

So the DNA done so long ago but I never updated thread. Obi was a girl!!! In fact she laid an egg shortly after DNA test and before she was 6 months old! I long ago changed her name to Pheobe!!! She hated the name Orbit...not much of a fan of Obi....loves her name of Pheobe!!!

As you read ...took 2 month to start stepping up. Loose fear of hands with lots and lots of hand feed treats and patience.

Took about that long to make a dint in thst screaming non stop around the clock from sun up to sun down. With behavior screaming I've had in the past, usually just providing a better quality of life with more out of cage time, enrichment and good diet would drop screaming right off the bat by 75% .. then remains would start decreasing with no reinforcement of screaming, rewarding quiet times, preventing and re directing, and forming new habits.

But Pheobe it was self soothing, how I responded or didn't respond to her screaming didn't matter to her. Playing out of cage, better with screaming! She pretty much could eat and scream. What ended up working better for her, was to interrupt screaming as soon as she started, distracting her, lot if treats when quiet for a few seconds or minutes . Doing this over and over, creating longer and longer periods between screaming. Giving a lot of attention when quiet. That started to work great. Except she held onto the habit of screaming herself to sleep in her cage or before a nap for a long time...probably a couple more months. So I will say 2 months to make huge impact on screaming, total 4 months to eliminate. Pheobe still makes more happy and thank goodness more quiet vocalizations than my other two. And if anything sets them off on screaming like dogs barking at people outside she is the last to quiet back down. When she is cuddling like now, she makes lots of purrs, peeps, quiet little sounds, little quacks...would love that to turn to words. She can say a few like hello, good bird, good boy, or boy every time I say girl , kiss sounds, laughing, woo noise we make thats more like rolling rrs...and currently the flock favorite of buuuuuuurrrrrrd. When ever she lands in me she says aww. Because heck yes I say that every time she lands on me for a cuddling. But over all not much speaking.

I trained her to return to the Cage whenever asked. When she sees me putting up the others she goes the farthest away from the cage she can and waits. Then when I ask she starts for her cage and is so funny she goes up and down every latter and hanging perch and puts on a big show! But she gets there goes in and waits for her kiss.
If I happen to be walking her to her cage she Flys away and waits for me to ask, then Flys back and goes in. She absolutely wants to do it HERSELF! But she never refuses when asked.
20211002_132458.jpg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Trying for video of her going back, this wasn't as elaborate as her normal. I expected her to go up the latter sbd across the high perch like she normally would
I loved your video of Phoebe! I also loved all your rope segments. I so need to do that in my little bird room.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
First week home including to show how she had been barbering her feathers at pet store, and if you look closely at far wing you can see grey down as she had just started plucking shoulder leading edge of wing. These dark edges are barbering, she was on all pellets since weaning and only a little over 16 weeks old ( pet store has her clipped , I loved to grown back ) added seeds and veggies to her pellet diet.
20201015_135722.jpg

This is her first introduction to the flock, I had a chair next to cage opened her door and brought every one over and allowed her to come out on her own. She has her back to us as she is a little fearful.
20201019_113644.jpg

Then climbed behind door to peek at us

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oh wouldn't allow next pic, trying again. Note Penny has feather bronzing in this old picture as hadn't molted in over a year( fatty liver past poor diet, being sick)
20201019_113607.jpg

Edit: to show Penny normal green ( taken just now)
20220312_144324.jpg

All the girls now, good friends.
20211019_094254.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ok last for today!
PHEOBE adult weight 120-125 grams. Around 1 year 9 months old First day home she was 90 grams at about 17 weeks old .
Stopped early plucking of wings, stopped barbering( black berries on walls were cleaned off ...ughh...).
20220221_085451.jpg

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Ok last for today!
PHEOBE adult weight 120-125 grams. Around 1 year 9 months old First day home she was 90 grams at about 17 weeks old .
Stopped early plucking of wings, stopped barbering( black berries on walls were cleaned off ...ughh...).
View attachment 36882
I think Willow might like to be email pals with your Phoebe. He is definitely a boy.

What great photos of her! Especially the “my first green bean” pic. It must be fun to have a room full of Quakers.

I just got access to my old tablet and will get the photos off of it onto my regular computer. There should be some day 1 photos of Willow and lots and lots of Lucy photos, too.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
They caught me off guard!
Never fear I bundled them over to their cages and put my radiant heat panel on them and gave them a snack.
Yep wet burd stink...

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I love wet birds! Everyone looks like they enjoyed their bath:)
I adore wet birds myself! They were so smug. Could barely flapping those water logged feathers to me! I had just changed the bath bowl I keep out tidy up and came by the window to read.

Most Reactions

Latest posts