welcomed to the family!

birdboy747

Jul 11, 2010
northwest indiana
Parrots
cockatiel
Well after 4months of looking stuff up i did it. i found the bird of my dreams. iv held off for a while tring to find a bird and i finally found it. He or she is a cockatiel, it was not dna sexed but im thinking its a girl from what iv read. THe cockatiel is 10weeks old and i just baught him last night. sadly i had to buy him from a pet store but it was raised and weaned from a breeder. what caught my eye about the bird was that it was sitting on top of its cage very tame and the color of the bird is very unusual. its got a yellow head of couse but the body is not grey like the usual ones, its yellow with grey and white spots. Well any way i put my fingure up to it and he/she steped right up and thats when i fell for it. as soon as i got home i set his cage up and the first thing he did was went to his food bowl and ate. for some reason that tells me he wasnt getting fed properly at the petstore, or he is just a pig. he already in the first hour made him self at home and was sitting on my shoulder, i didnt even have to put him up thier he went right up my arm and sat thier, it shocked me. i forget the name i think it was a mutation because of the color but i dont remeber the name,the petstore owner said it was not a very common type though. o and i was wondering any ideas on how to get my dog to like him because he is very jelous and wants to eat the bird haha,iv been giving both lots of attention but he just wants to eat it which kinda scars me.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Congradulations on the new fid, sounds like a pearly or pearled cockatiel, could possibly be a pied, if you can post some pics I'm sure someone will be able to tell you for sure :)

OP
B

birdboy747

Jul 11, 2010
northwest indiana
Parrots
cockatiel
uhh i can see if i can get a pic up mabe later im not sure i hae a cam that works
al look up them to cockatiels on google and see if i cant id it from one of the pics.

OP
B

birdboy747

Jul 11, 2010
northwest indiana
Parrots
cockatiel
well its definitaly a pearl cockatiel here is somthing interesting i found about them too "quote"
Pearly: The "term" pearly refers to the lacings or pearl spots of yellow or white on the backs, nape, and wings. Yellow Pearls are sometimes called Golden Pearls. White pearling is sometimes called Silver Pearl. Pearling in a whiteface cockatiel is always white.The lacings should be extensive and consistent.
Females retain their pearly coloration into adulthood, while male lose their pearlings after their first molt (turning into a Pied cockatiel - rather than pearly pied). "&quote"

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Well there ya go, now we know what you have :), we still love pics on here, so whenever you get the chance we'd all love to see him first hand.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Congrat's with the new bird, it sure is so exciting :D
He sure has made himself "at home" already ;)
Keep us posted with progress
Good luck

OP
B

birdboy747

Jul 11, 2010
northwest indiana
Parrots
cockatiel
well, if been tring different nuts,fruits,and bread in thier,so far he loves white bread, loves to eat pretzzles(more importanly the salt) and hates strawberries, i got a kick out of that when he went for the strawberry he took a big bite and he litterally spit it out and threw it out of his cage. i thaught it was funny. not sure y but he is terrified of water he went by it and took off,not sure if he fell in it at one point or what but i got to work on it. im finding out all kinds of stuff he likes not dont like,and my hair is one thing he luvs to pull. its kinda funny how a bird nows who its owner is every time i walk in my room i look forward to his/her(im almost positive its a female buy what iv read) little squak. btw one thing i grow in my garden is calarabi** is that safe for birds to eat?

OP
B

birdboy747

Jul 11, 2010
northwest indiana
Parrots
cockatiel
one quick question, can i put a butterbowl with water in it in his cage to see if he gets in it or will the plastic be dangerous?

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
White bread is not really all that great for birds, not much in the way of nutrition and is empty of calories, besides when a bird fills its stomach of bread it doesn't eat the nutritious foods that are good for them, to much salt in a birds diet can cause very seious health problems, so you will want to stop that practice of feeding snack food to him, I have found kohlrabi on the list of veggies that ARE safe, just wash thoroughly, as for other fruits and veggies, no onions, avocado, mushrooms, apple seeds, dairy products, chocolate, caffine or anything with alcohol, I'm sure there are more that I haven't listed, more members will weigh in with those I'm sure.

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
Hey, you got a bird!! That's great! And a cockatiel, kudos. Would love to see some pictures of her/him. Since your tiel is only 10 weeks old, you won't find out if it's a boy or girl until it's first molt which is usually 6 months. Haven't spoken with you in a while, let me know when you're back on yahoo chat.

OP
B

birdboy747

Jul 11, 2010
northwest indiana
Parrots
cockatiel
o hey havent talked to u in a while,yes i got a bird, i thaught id be more excited about it but when i got him home my dog got all sad on me but i still kinda,well i did get attached to him lol. so now i got to big babies haha. iv been on yahoo well iv been busy between my bird/dog and gearing up for hunting season.

Most Reactions