What about dog saliva?

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I know about cat saliva and pasturella(sp?) but what about dog saliva? Also, I have been reading and most of what I read leans toward the saliva needing to actually get into a wound for it to cause major problems, not simply by the bird licking it's feathers or cage that may have saliva on it? Is this correct or is it toxic via oral means as well? I don't have a cat but we do have a dog and he approaches everything tongue first! He hasn't been aggressive towards her at all, I honestly think he is curious with a hint of being afraid of her. Which would make sense because when we got him at only 5 weeks old(yes I know, way too early but that was not my doing, and probably a story for another time) we had our two 'toos and they would scare the bajeezus(haha, never tried to spell that before) out of him, fluffing up, wings out, rocking back and forth trying to bite him whenever he would even walk past their cage lol. But anyway, so he tends to keep his distance from her but if either of us is holding her for any extended period of time he starts to get jealous and then starts "inspecting her". Just sniffing really but he keeps trying to lick her(like he does to everything and everyone). She shows absolutely no fear towards him and hasn't even tried to bite him even when I expected her to. They are NEVER alone unsupervised and even though I trust him as much as I could possibly trust a dog, I keep my arm up between him and her when she is on my hand when he is trying to sniff her, just in case either one of them would even attempt to do something stupid, atleast I could push him back with my arm and pull her away with my other arm. I know many of you will probably say that there is no reason for them to interact with each other under any circumstances, and while I don't intend on them physically interacting at all, I feel it's important for him to atleast smell her just so he can get used to her. He is a very protective rottweiler/shepherd mix and I know that as soon as he starts to see her as a part of the family he will protect her the same way he does with us(that probably sounds bad but trust me, it's a good thing :) ). I plan on the four of us living together for quite some time(ziggy is only 1.5yrs and the dog is only 2.5yrs) and I would like everyone to be comfortable around each other. So, if he licks her cage or would happen to lick her, does this pose any danger to her? And if so is this strictly a dog/cat saliva thing or is this a mammal saliva thing? Because I have seen many birds eat out of their owners mouths without ill effects, or were they just lucky that nothing happened?

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
In a suburb of Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon -female, Umbrella Cockatoo - female.
He can smell her when she is in her cage.
I make my 4 & 1/2 year old female Golden Retriever lay down whenever I have a bird out of the cage. Before I knew how my dog would react to my parrots I kept the dog in another room whenever I had the birds out or when I was not home. Now that I trust the dog with the birds I can let them in the same room at the same time. The parrots in my home have intimidated my dog so she prefers to keep her distance which is good with me!

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
We make him stay laying down as well, right now though, we really have no choice other than to have them in the same room. I mentioned in another post that we have two room mates that have a dog that will and has attacked our dog so we have to keep them separated, and unfortunately, their dog has free run of the house most of the time so that means our dog has to stay in our room. Fortunately, they are moving at the end of the month so that won't be a problem for much longer. He has never been aggressive towards her or any other animals but like I said, I haven't been taking any chances. My main concern is that since she also has no fear of him, she will come right up to him, even when in her cage as he is sitting and waiting for her to drop food(maybe that's why he is nice to her, she gives him yummy birdie treats :) ) and if his saliva can possibly harm her, I want to make sure that he doesn't try to lick her or her cage. I'm not quite sure how I would keep him from doing that since he seems to like to lick EVERYTHING, but if it is dangerous to her than I will surely find a way to keep it from happening.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I don't worry about dog saliva as much as cat saliva. My dog gives my macaw kisses all the time for many years now, plus Willie feeds the dogs directly to their mouth....lol

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
That makes me feel a little better. And we seriously need some pics or video of Willy feeding your dog! Haha, it sound like your macaw has a pet :)

birdmama61

Apr 13, 2011
Yep my chihuahua loves on my birds all the time for many yrs now and none of them is sick at all or ever become sick and they also ride on their back which is pretty awesome I wish I could get a video of it . But it is also for a short time cause the dog lays down and acts submissive toward all of the birds .

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
That makes me feel a little better. And we seriously need some pics or video of Willy feeding your dog! Haha, it sound like your macaw has a pet :)

The moment the camera is rolling they quit....there's been toomany times I wish I could of record....they do some silly stuff.....

To the person with Chihuahua, my chihuahua is terrified of my parrots but he will kill wild birds outside....bad bad dog!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts