What are the most reputable?

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
Can anyone tell me which companies they went through when ordering a bird online that the transaction went well? Where are the best places to order birds online in your opinion? I've looked through the listing on the BirdsNow website and I can't believe some of the prices listed on that site as being anything but possible scams. There is no way some of the handfed babies are being sold for prices like $400 for a large macaw. I simply can't believe that when other sites are posting them for $2000. Anyone dealt through that website? Has someone ever tried to scam anyone here? A guy my husband works with ordered a bird from a place in Florida and never got his bird. He paid a thousand down. It just makes me wonder where the scammers hang out and what places are trustworthy.

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
Sorry I have not dealt with that Web site or any online websites for parrots. There are lots and lots of scams out there. Personally, I would never buy a parrot that way. In my opinion it is better to meet the bird first. Often they choose you instead of you choosing them if you get to meet in person. Just my opinion. Be careful of scams!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Some birds I bought from bird stores, or I've known of reputable breeders by hearing about some well known ones over the years. Also, if you have a specific species in mind, people in those species cirlcles can steer you toward who are the well known names for that species.

When I was looking for Raven my BW Pionus it was difficult. I didn't know of any breeders, so this is what I did... (I had one 10 years ago who passed) but recently (2013) I found they were much harder to find nowdays for some reason. I went on the well known resource called Birdbreeders.com, which is a huge database for breeders in the US. I found Raven's breeder. I called her up, and from the conversation I had with her on the phone, it was clear she was a responsible, legit, and experienced parrot breeder. She specializes in Greys and Capes, but she had the BW Pionus I'd been searching for. Try birdbreeders.com. Many legit, experienced breeders list there. Many breeders have a website that you can access from the bb database too. It's where more 'professional' breeders do their advertising, rather than Craigslist...

Edit: I was posting as Wendy already mentioned Birdbreeders.com above ;)

Last edited:
OP
Minimaker

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
Sorry I have not dealt with that Web site or any online websites for parrots. There are lots and lots of scams out there. Personally, I would never buy a parrot that way. In my opinion it is better to meet the bird first. Often they choose you instead of you choosing them if you get to meet in person. Just my opinion. Be careful of scams!

That would be great but unfortunately there are only three in Illinois that I can find. Two won't have any available during the months when I want to order one and the one is sold out already because people have put down deposits on their babies. Those were all I could find and they were a four hour drive away and it's really snowy here. My only choice is to order online.

Thanks for the info everyone, I'll go check out that site. If anyone else has more ideas keep them coming. I know this won't be my last bird. I'm already thinking of which one I want to complete my flock after I give the new one ample time to get used to us. Just wondering what other options are out there-hoping to not get scammed in the process.

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)

That would be great but unfortunately there are only three in Illinois that I can find. Two won't have any available during the months when I want to order one and the one is sold out already because people have put down deposits on their babies. Those were all I could find and they were a four hour drive away and it's really snowy here. My only choice is to order online.

Thanks for the info everyone, I'll go check out that site. If anyone else has more ideas keep them coming. I know this won't be my last bird. I'm already thinking of which one I want to complete my flock after I give the new one ample time to get used to us. Just wondering what other options are out there-hoping to not get scammed in the process.
sounds like that is your only option then minimaker. Looks like you will get some good advice on reputable breeders from experienced people here. They will lead you in the right direction. Good luck and keep us informed.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
One of the best large macaw breeders in the United States is Wendy Craig of Wendy's Parrots. She is here in Texas, but she ships, and her birds have been socialized to the Nth degree...

Rachel had three birds from her (Red Front, Blue Throat, and Scarlet) ALL of them were amazing, even the normally beaky scarlet... and I've met dozens of her birds, ALL OF THEM had those awesome macaw personalities, and were gentle and loving, and no pluckers in the bunch...

Several people on this forum have birds from her as well...

SHE GETS MY HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION!!!

Home

I got Maggie as a rescue, but Maggie originally came from these guys:

http://www.avianadventuresaviary.com/sales-shipping.html

They also ship, and they also produce amazing birds. You couldn't get a better temperment than Maggie's. There were a lot of their big macs where I used to live in NorCal. And again, it goes back to the degree of socialization the breeder gives them.

BOTH THESE BREEDERS ARE TOP NOTCH, KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING, AND HAVE BEEN AROUND FOR A LONG TIME....

IF I WERE LOOKING FOR A BIG MAC, I'D START HERE.

Honestly, though, you can't go wrong with Wendy!!! Seriously... she's the best!!!

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Hey Karen, isn't Zoe one of Wendy's BTM'S?!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
MM, be careful & checkout anyone you can't find more than one posting about...a couple of years ago I played around with a guy who was selling (???) a couple of greys, who even sent me photocopies of their health certificates (a year old, but no contact phone number for the examining vet)...we must have exchanged a dozen E-mails, but he would never give me a vet's phone number & the scribble on the purported health certificates reminded me of a 5 year old's.....

As I thought originally, it was from a scammer in the DC area & some computer geek ended up tracing his online postings & Maryland police were able to catch him & 3 others who were also involved.....

Good luck, but hooking up with a recognized & recommended breeder is probably your best bet.....

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Hey Karen, isn't Zoe one of Wendy's BTM'S?!

There's no way for me to know. Her original owner moved out of country and took her to the local shop for them to sell her. But if I had to guess I wouldn't think so. Zoe has a slight scissor beak and I bet Wendy doesn't have that in her birds, though there's always an exception.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I wouldn't really think of it as "online". Even though you find a breeder from the internet, even if they have a website, you wouldn't order from the website (I've seen that before and it seems odd).. Normally, it's a home based business, and you just call the breeder on the phone and talk to them. Ask all your questions and tell them your concerns, get a feel for the breeder on the phone. If it's what I call a 'professional' breeder who knows their business, and offers top notch customer service, and knows how to answer your questions, you should be able to know it by talking with them on the phone. Ask them for references if you want. If they currently have babies for the species you're looking for, they'll tell you what stage of development they're in, and most will be happy to email you photos. The breeder can help you pick one out based on the sex, personality, or other criteria you might have, unless a certain one in a photo stands out as the one you want. Most ship with Delta, and it has always been easy. :)

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Can anyone tell me which companies they went through when ordering a bird online that the transaction went well? Where are the best places to order birds online in your opinion? I've looked through the listing on the BirdsNow website and I can't believe some of the prices listed on that site as being anything but possible scams. There is no way some of the handfed babies are being sold for prices like $400 for a large macaw. I simply can't believe that when other sites are posting them for $2000. Anyone dealt through that website? Has someone ever tried to scam anyone here? A guy my husband works with ordered a bird from a place in Florida and never got his bird. He paid a thousand down. It just makes me wonder where the scammers hang out and what places are trustworthy.

In my personal opinion, I have seen those sites your talking about with the ridiculously low prices, unfortunately I don't know anyone who has purchased from there. I would go thru one (if you have to order online) one that has good references and that people claim are very good.

Personally I like to see the bird up close and personal before I make the decision to bring it home. Pictures are nice on a website, but in person satisfies the curiosity and breaks down the barriers. I have seen some very Nice pictures on sites only to see the bird in person and the poor thing is a wreck. My very recent Amazon Vinny came from a very bad situation of pure neglect by the owner to the point I threatened them with law inforcement if they didn't sell me the bird and take the poor thing from them. Many on here remember the post of a month ago about her. Which by the way, she is doing very well now and so happy. She was a mess and stunk horribly of cigarette smoke.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I got Valentino from Wendy Craig. I also recommend her birds very highly. She has been breeding and shipping birds for over 20 years. Wendy helped me understand the shipping process and because she had to ship Valentino a week earlier than she felt he was totally weaned she send with him the type of hand rearing formula enough for me to get Valentino though the adjustment period and she asked me the right questions to understand I was knowledgeable enough to hand feed Valentino (my two mini macaws and Eclectus I hand fed when they first came home to help with adjustment and to make sure they got the right amount of calories during adjustment) Wendy also helped me though a very difficult period when Mihijo died two months before Valentino was due to come home. Wendy is not only the best breeder I know but she also became my friend.

Valentino came to me a well socialized confident baby. It was living with me and my ways that have made him weird.

OP
Minimaker

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
I checked her site and it looks like she only has blue throats available right now :( I really want a greenwing so that won't work out for me this time around. I love red parrots and I'm not sure my husband will go for another large parrot after this one so I had better get what I want right now. I'm checking around now with a few different breeders because our enclosure is really close to being done now and we have the money set aside for a greenwing already. So now it's just a matter of finding the right breeder who has what we want when we want it (as soon as possible, squeeeee!) I'm so ready right now, tired of the waiting game. Hubbs made the common sense decision to wait until our kitchen remodel was done and the dust in the air had been cleared/house cleaned up. It's been MONTHS of waiting. It's killing me! I have Tazzy my conure but he was a breeder bird from a pet store and he's no cuddle bug. He'll hang on my shoulder but I'm still not allowed to pet him much. I want that, I want that closeness. When I see pictures of Zoe the blue throat here all cuddle-monstered up to Karen I desperately want my own macaw to cuddle with :)

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I did not need to know Wendy has Blue Throats for sale. I must keep strong! I think what will keep me in line is the upcoming huge two state away move I have to make with Valentino and his 210 pound cage.

I can understand with you wanting the closeness of the bond with a macaw parrot. For as long as I can remember I have always gravitated to macaws. The relationship you develop with a macaw will be for life. I cannot bring myself to rehome Valentino because I know it will be hard on him (he is bonded to me) and know doing so would break my heart.

Green wings are wonderful macaws and I am sure you are going to be very happy with your soon to be GW. My RFM is enough parrot for me. His size borders on too large and his screams trigger me but I would not trade him for anything. I have wanted a RFM since 1997. I understand waiting once you know what you want is hard to do.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Greenwings are a great choice for a mac. One BTM is all I can handle. During a moment of insanity I thought a RFM would be fun, but I can hardly keep up with what I've got.

OP
Minimaker

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
He is cute and that's very tempting :) We're waiting on a call back from the local breeder I really wasn't sure about to see when his last one will be available. My husband guilt tripped me about previously calling and saying we wanted one of his birds and that we should at least try to see if he has one ready and available first. I called him and left a message tonight. If it's too long of a wait then it'll have to be a different breeder because I'm not waiting any longer. For some reason I really want a female but we'll see I guess. The local guy doesn't do DNA testing. Thanks everyone, you're a good support team!

Most Reactions